My Tortoise got into her soaking bin overnight and seems to be bleeding

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bulbs, the coil one is wrong and shouldn't be used. Can cause eye problems and doesn't give off good UV
The humidity in Indiana is no where near the 80% the tortoise needs growing up. Under the proper temps the humidity would not be high enough with just misting.
At 5 years, she should have been big enough to live outside and be around 8-10 inches. Something was very wrong either before you got him or in his raising until you found this forum.
As for the vets, they wouldn't have a clue the size it should have been. They don't even know the proper way to house them.
The pic looked like there was pyramiding, It may have been the angle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I attached some photos as well to help but the temperature in the enclosure never dropped below 80 mostly stayed around 85. The ramp she enjoyed to climb and usually didn’t have standing water, it did in the pics purely from the last misting. She had a UVB bulb and a ceramic heat bulb for continuous heat. She had plenty of hides if she got too hot. The humidity honestly wasn’t really an issue as I live in Indiana and it’s humid as heck here naturally. She was also next to the window where she could enjoy natural light.

Also her shell didn’t show any signs of pyramiding that I saw. And until very recently her stomach was always extremely smooth.

I used Terra cotta dishes as her food and water dishes to help wear down her beak and for her safety.

I only say these things as I had done extensive research (or so I thought) and she had lived happy and healthy for 5 years.

oh she was fed a variety of greens, kale was just the plant of choice this week. It was always a variety of organic greens along with repticalcium supplements. She would also occasionally get cactus pads and tortoise pellets. She grew from the size of a half dollar when I got her to about the size of my hand in the span I had her?

She had been to the vet previously and always had a clean bill of health.
The following is intended to help you understand what went wrong so you can do better next time. I'm not trying to be mean or hurtful in any way. Most of the care info from pet shops, FB, YT, vets and even from breeders is old wrong info. Here are some points to ponder.

1. Open topped enclosures cannot work. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. Its just physics. Hot air rises. With an open top, that warm humid air rises right up into the room. They sold you the wrong type of enclosure. That type of enclosure is too open for babies, and too small for temperate species of adults that can handle the dryness. Those enclosures just aren't suitable for any tortoise species at any life stage.
2. Misting the surface does very little to help humidity and just cools the enclosure through rapid evaporation with an open top. To keep the substrate properly damp, you have to dump water into it periodically. How much water and how often varies greatly from enclosure to enclosure. In a proper closed chamber, I never have to add water to the substrate because the humidity is contained.
3. Humidity in an open top enclosure IS a problem. The outside humidity doesn't matter even for people in South Florida or tropical countries. Indoors, in the AC, with an open top, under heat lamps and CHEs, it was far too dry for a baby.
4. They should always have a water dish.
5. The need to be soaked daily as babies.
6. At five years old, this tortoise should have been Much larger than this.
7. There was heavy pyramiding on this baby.
8. You have the wrong bulbs and wrong fixture to use them in.
9. You did get the right substrate.
10. A clean bill of health from a vet really means very little. Most vets don't know much about tortoise care. If you had brought this tiny for its age, heavily pyramided baby to my vet here in CA who does know tortoises because he raises and keeps his own, he would have helped you figure out the problems, and not given you a clean bill of health. The size and level of pyramiding on this tortoise should have told your vet that something was very wrong, but your vet did not realize this.
11. Grocery store greens are not a great tortoise diet unless you are adding in all the right amendments to up the fiber, calcium and nutritional content. The opuntia pads and tortoise pellets should have helped to off set this.
12. What were the temperatures in the enclosure over winter?

Here is all the correct care info. Read through these to learn more: