My tortoise has identity issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortPeeps

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am very confused as to what species this tortoise is. The store said that it is a Red-Foot Tortoise, but I am thinking it could very well be a Yellow-Foot Tortoise. Everywhere that I look to find differences between these two similar species will tell me to look at the color of the scales on its legs or the shape of the scales on its head. The problem with this little guy is that it has no identifying color on its legs and there are no scales on top of its head.

This tortoise is two and a half years old according to the store where it was purchased. Is it too early for the scales to start growing on top of its head? When first bought from the store its colors were very dull compared to the pictures below. After a few weeks in its home the colors started coming out more vibrantly on its head and inside its shell, but not the color of its legs which would help decide the species. The legs look to be somewhat yellow, but it matches the same color of the skin inside the shell.

This is a dire concern to me because of its dietary restrictions. Yellow-Foot and Red-Foot Tortoises are very similar, but it is important for me to know the correct species of this tortoise. I am still not 100% on the sex, but I am betting on it being a female since the underside of the shell is flat. The store where this tortoise was purchased was very unhelpful with many questions and I believe that they do not even care for some of the animals there in the correct manner.

If you could please help with this issue this little tortoise and I would be most grateful! Thanks!

Attachments

• 0710080203.jpg
    0710080203.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 0710080204a.jpg
    0710080204a.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 0702082253.jpg
    0702082253.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 64

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They sold that to you as a tortoise?! First of all its a turtle.... Im not 100% but it looks like a central american wood turtle.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It is an Ornate wood turtle, Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima manni :D
Basicly the same care as either Redfoots or Yellowfoots.

Danny

TortPeeps

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow thats frickin amazing. That pet shop definitely knows less about reptiles than I do. The head and skin obviously look like a turtles. I cant believe that they said it was a tortoise! That really makes me mad at how ignorant they were. Thank you so much for solving this mystery for me. Im going to start researching this turtle and I hope my tortoise care so far hasnt effected it negatively.

TortPeeps

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Since we were obviously ripped off here how much of a difference is there usually in price between a redfoot tortoise and this ornate wood turtle? I still cant believe this happened!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've seen them retail for $50 to $100 each.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For what it's worth, it is a pretty little Wood. Since a RF or YF are quite different then a Wood, does it really matter to you or have you fallen for this little shelled one? Lucky turtle that you never were quite satisfied with the answers you had been given and kept looking for more information.

TortPeeps

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im just glad that I know the correct way to care for it. I need to get a whole new tank that is semi aquatic. Poor thing liked to soak in its water so much. Im so happy I found this forum.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
TortPeeps we are happy you found us too and I am sure your Wood is really happy.
Congrats on your new shelled aquisition. And welcome to the forum

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Yeah, and I think the kid knows who he/she is, it's you and the seller... :D :D :D

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
That is sad that a pet shop doesn't know what it is selling. At least the turtle is in a better home :)

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

TortGirl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
What a great looking Ornate Wood. We have a little young one. While doing research on the best care for our little guy or gal, not quite sure yet, we came upon this website http://www.freewebs.com/rpmanni/. Also on the Turtle Times forum http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/ there is a spot specifically for wood turtles. Good luck with your new shelled one.

TortGirl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
tortpeeps one thing you can do for your little guy or gal: provide plenty of colorful veggies such as red and yellow bell peppers these will bring out the wonderful color of these guys. if you have any other quetions just ask we here are always willing to help.

TortPeeps

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow I will definitely be getting one of those waterland tanks. It is perfect for its needs. Makes me want to go buy the huge one and get 4 more turtles to care for.

TortPeeps

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
One of my biggest concerns is feeding because I dont want to be over or under feeding my turtle. I get varied answers from different pages so does anyone know the recommended amount to feed and how often?

Again your help is much appreciated :D

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
did you pay the price for a redfoot or was it around 50 to 100 dollars

TortPeeps

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Paid 300 for the redfoot and the supplies to care for it. I finally got a hold of the store owner and she will hopefully be able to pay back the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.