Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglypuff

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire , u.k.
they dont wanna come out of there hide alot

everyting is fine according to caresheets and other peoples advice such as the temp and humidity, uv is on and lots of yummy food in their food bowl

but they dont wanna come out

and ideas??

Tegan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hill Country, TX
I have a tort that is really lazy to. I maybe only see him out of his tort box once a week or so. It just goes along with the breed. I just keep a close eye on the food i put down for him and watch his water to make sure he is drinking. Worf only comes out at night. When i do see him in the day time he just sits in one spot under some monkey grass as i like to call it. I think that he's thinking he can hide from me there.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
maybe put him/her outside for a little while. sometimes nothing warms you up like the hot sun, yknow?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What are the temps in your enclosure? It could be they have to much light. Make sure the lights are only on one end and only facing that end. If the lights light up the whole enclosure they will hide all the time. If you want you can send me a pic of your encloseure and I will be avble to let you know if that is the case. But check the lights and the temps you want 90 on warm side and 76-80 on cool side. also do not put the food or water by the light. Lets hope it is something small with the enclosure and not the worms. :)

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jigglypuff said:
they dont wanna come out of there hide alot

everyting is fine according to caresheets and other peoples advice such as the temp and humidity, uv is on and lots of yummy food in their food bowl

but they dont wanna come out

and ideas??
Hi,
Could you tell us what species of tort you have,lighting/heating that you use,temps under the heat lamp,what sort of accommodation does your tort live in etc.We need to know how you keep your tort so that we can give better advice.All of my torts are out and about nearly all day once they have warmed up.Do you bathe your tort.Sorry for all the questions but we need to know these things.

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tegan said:
I have a tort that is really lazy to. I maybe only see him out of his tort box once a week or so. It just goes along with the breed. I just keep a close eye on the food i put down for him and watch his water to make sure he is drinking. Worf only comes out at night. When i do see him in the day time he just sits in one spot under some monkey grass as i like to call it. I think that he's thinking he can hide from me there.
Hi Tegan,
What species of tort do you have?

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
What are the temps in your enclosure? It could be they have to much light. Make sure the lights are only on one end and only facing that end. If the lights light up the whole enclosure they will hide all the time. If you want you can send me a pic of your encloseure and I will be avble to let you know if that is the case. But check the lights and the temps you want 90 on warm side and 76-80 on cool side. also do not put the food or water by the light. Lets hope it is something small with the enclosure and not the worms. :)
The only time a tort will hide away from light is if you use a combine heat/uv lamp and the tort is too hot.The cool side should be just as described....cool.A tort needs to be able to escape heat.If its too warm it will dig down (thermoregulate) in the substrate,the same as if its cold.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
your tortoise could be lazy and sleepy because:
heat is too high
heat is too low
depending on species humidity is too high or low.
Might have worms.
id get a vet check done.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The only time a tort will hide away from light is if you use a combine heat/uv lamp and the tort is too hot.The cool side should be just as described....cool.A tort needs to be able to escape heat.If its too warm it will dig down (thermoregulate) in the substrate,the same as if its cold.
[/quote]

If the light is not pointed directly at one corner of the enclosure and the rest of the enclosure gets light from the heat lamp they will hide. I know this from experience! They get to hot.

I use clamp lights and If I put them on the side of the enclosure and point down my torts DO NOT come out. If I lay them so only one end gets light they DO come out, and I have been told my multiple people when asking about this same question a year ago when my new ones came and they said the same thing as the first thing to check.

transtort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:

If the light is not pointed directly at one corner of the enclosure and the rest of the enclosure gets light from the heat lamp they will hide. I know this from experience! They get to hot.

I use clamp lights and If I put them on the side of the enclosure and point down my torts DO NOT come out. If I lay them so only one end gets light they DO come out, and I have been told my multiple people when asking about this same question a year ago when my new ones came and they said the same thing as the first thing to check.
[/quote]
Yes,they hide away because they are too hot,not hiding from the light.
None of my 30 torts hide away from light.If they are in the natural sunshine,lovely warm weather,they will bask in the sun and hide under plants to escape the heat.This is how they thermoregulate (adjust the temperature to suit themselves).

jigglypuff

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Leicestershire , u.k.
thanks for the replies
they are red footed tortoises

there in a wooden viv with glass front

basking light is around 88-91 background is around 75-80
humidity is normly around 60-70
i leave the uv light on around 6 hours

yes it does light up alot of the cage but from my experiance and a few others this normally isnt a problem

one of them now seems to be active alot but the other still doesnt come out alot now that everything is sorted out properally

thanks for the help again

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
i guess all tortoises are different.

I have my heat light pointing downwards, the tortoises never move from it.
So i put my UVB tube light near the basking light, and they never move from the lightened area only at night time.

Status
Not open for further replies.