My tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Over the weekend after graduating from community college and becoming a homeowner, tragedy took away my glory. Over the past year, I have been putting together a group of Sri Lankan Star tortoises. I had 6 of them in a new tortoise room in our new house.

Well, I came home after getting another load of stuff to move to the house. Someone left one of the doors unlocked and my dog opened the door. The door easily opens if left unlocked. I knew something was going to be wrong as I saw my dog in the tortoise room. I saw blood stains on the ground and then I saw the tortoise pen disturbed. I looked frantically for my star tortoises. I couldn't find any. Our dog ate them all....all 6. I confirmed this the next day when I checked her feces and found pieces of shell and little paws. The only good news is that the dog didn't mess with my girlfriend's chameleons.

The next day, the dog climbed a 6 ft wooden fence. We found her a few days later on the humane society website. We had to pay a few hundred dollars to get her out. Everyone told me to get rid of the dog, but I can't get mad at the dog or give up on the dog. I feel we rescued the dog from the previous owners who kept her outside (bearing in mind that Arizona is now well over 105 degrees and will only get hotter).

I am very heartbroken. I just want people to double check their enclosures, doors, and anything to prevent occurrences similar to this.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
gummybearpoop, What a tragedy. I am so sorry to hear all your torts are gone. I know you were working hard to get this group going. Not to mention the care and love that you put into them.

I do understand about not blaming the dog. Though it must be saddening and frustrating for you.

Hopefully this will also serve as a good reminder to others not to let your dogs around your torts. Even good dogs get tempted.
Again, sorry for your loss. Hugs.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Crazy1 said:
gummybearpoop, What a tragedy. I am so sorry to hear all your torts are gone. I know you were working hard to get this group going. Not to mention the care and love that you put into them.

I do understand about not blaming the dog. Though it must be saddening and frustrating for you.

Hopefully this will also serve as a good reminder to others not to let your dogs around your torts. Even good dogs get tempted.
Again, sorry for your loss. Hugs.

Thank you

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am so sorry :(. It is very sad for your tortoises. In my opinion, you made the good decision by keeping the dog, I am sure he did not know it was wrong. I am glad you found him and that he did not escape too far.
I am really sorry that you have to going through that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, man! That sucks big time!!! I'm so sorry that happened. I've seen first hand what a dog can do to a turtle/tortoise and its not pretty. You had a really nice little group of Stars. That's a real shame. I'm glad you realized the dog was only doing what comes naturally, and didn't blame him. What kind of dog is it? Get that fence fixed so he stays home!!!

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
That is so sad to read! Your a true pet lover not taking it out on the dog. I'm not so sure I would have been that understanding.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...So sorry about your tragedy. I agaree with your choice, tho I know you had to be tempted to kick his butt!! He didn't know he wasn't supposed to act like a normal dog.
God Bless
Hugs
Patsy

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Oh no!! i am so sorry for you and your torts, Good thing the dog didnt get an obstruction with the shells, To dogs tortoises are moving toys..

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
SO SORRY. How tragic..
Thanks for posting this... hoping others will learn by it.
you can NEVER trust your dog. No matter how much you love them!
They are dogs, dogs are predators.
Hoping you can fix the problem to prevent and start building again.
Build a dog proof enclosure and market it!

Marshman

5 Year Member
Rapid City S.D.
That sucks i have four dogs and i couldn't fathom if one off the did that. And thats one thing im kinda worried about right now i'm getting ready to build my outdoor pen for my guys. and the job of dog proofing is going to be some work especially with my jack russell. If it moves and he can get he will he's too smart for his own good.
Again sorry to hear about your loss

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I am so sorry! I feel so bad for you!-- I am glad to hear that you are not blaming the dog. It must have been very hard on you. My thoughts are with you.

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
I can only imagine the pain of your loss. I am so sorry. I too have many dogs and fortunately for me, because of my breed, mine are NEVER left unattended unless they are locked up and secure - AND SEPERATED. I do have one dog that I know would eat the torts if given enough time.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new home and your recent graduation. You are an honorable pet keeper knowing that your dog cannot be blamed. Can I suggest you get a kennel for your dog - one with a solid cover. That way, you can safetly confine your dog when you are not home and she will not be tempted to roam or eat your next star collection. Crate training your dog might be advisable too until you can safetly dog proof your new home.

Feeling your pain

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Oh Norman how horrible. Here I was getting ready to send you a friendly harrassing note, as we drove thru your town. (Bet you missed my wave to you :p). Your story makes me want to go home and hug my little stars.

I have had several of my animals thru the years kill or hurt other pets and it is like a double loss because you lose a bit of the love/trust/respect for the animal who does the hurting, along with the hurt of loosing the other one. Not to mention the increased guilt for your believed failure to both of them.

Sometimes it can be hard to forgive them for being simply what nature meant for them to be. For you it must be especially difficult. Those babies meant so much to you. The house itself was partially because of them too. Then there is also the financal blow to round the whole sad situation out.

As I sit here typing this, I keep thinking how it was because of you that I am blessed with my four little bugs (the stars) and now you don't have any. :( Life can be so unfair sometimes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
FunnyGirl said:
Can I suggest you get a kennel for your dog - one with a solid cover. That way, you can safetly confine your dog when you are not home and she will not be tempted to roam or eat your next star collection.

In this same vein, let me tell you what I did. My little Boston terrier mix was a gopher in her previous life. My backyard was so full of holes and bumps that when I mowed the lawn it would shake the nuts and bolts loose. So I bought one of those chain link dog kennels. The panels are 10'x10'x10' and one panel with a gate. (and 6' tall) So I bought some T-posts and set up the kennel in a straight line across one end of the back yard. Now the dogs have a nice large area that is just for them. And Gracie can dig to her heart's content. Set up in a square like you're supposed to, would be kind of small, so I utilized the end of the yard, setting up the fencing about 20' from the back r/w fence.

dogkennel.jpg

Yvonne

baseballturtle48

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I know the pride of graduating and the thrill of becoming a home owner. I've lost my share of turtles and tortoises over the years, but I can't even imagine the horror you've been through with this tragedy. It's one of the saddest I've heard about, and I'm so sorry it happened. Doors often don't shut, it's so common.... your dog didn't know. :( I admire your strength and ability to forgive your dog. Dogs are only being dogs.

FunnyGirl

5 Year Member
Yvonne- Your BT is living in high heaven in that enclosure. I WISH I had that much room. I live up against a trail and my backyard backs up to a park. I cannot leave my dogs outside for any length of time for fear of someone stealing them. I had a rednose APBT that would take our 7 1/2 foot fence from a dead stand still and when a 50# pit bull comes flying over the fence at you, it can be a bit scary. Even if it is only for kisses. I have a 6 X 10 that I can put Power in if I am going to be gone for a long time as he is the least likely to let anyone steal him - UNLESS they come in the yard with a tennis ball at which point the whole thing is over. My kennel is completely covered. I could NEVER put Funny in the backyard as she was really DA and any dogs walking on the trail caused her to go into fits. BickerBoy is my only normal dog who can run my entire backyard.

Where are your tort pens in relation to this?

Also, now that we are on the subject of dogs and torts together, have any of you ever had your dogs eat the cuttlebone? Just before Funny passed, she ate ET's cuttlebone. She had never shown interest before. Now PowerBall is wanting to eat it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
FunnyGirl said:
Where are your tort pens in relation to this?

This picture is in my back yard. There are no tortoises in the grassy area of the back yard, however if I get in an over abundance of sulcatas I can put one there. The front yard, side yard and every yard in between is tortoise pens. I have an acre, with about half of that in horse pasture. The rest except for the small backyard is tortoise yard.

Yvonne

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
My prayers go out to you for the loss of your beloved lil' stars! You musta been devastated! I some-what know how you felt, as my wire hair fox terrier (Brumby) once got out of the house un-noticed while my lil' 3 toe was outside grazing; he did not eat him, per say, but the tort was dead thru bite holes that went thru the shell. I felt so guilty, even tho it was not I who left the back door ajar so that the dawg could get outside... (hopefully such guilt is not eating atcha!!)

I can also understand how difficult it must've been for you, too, to decide to keep the dawg when s/he did such a damaging blow to your heart! Again, coming to the realization that it was only the dawgs nature to do such was the only way for me to 'accept and learn' from the experience. I knew it wasn't Brumby's fault, but it surely left a sour taste in my mouth for him for a while after the incident. And yes, he is still a member of our family (the only furry critter I own).

Know that you have been blessed with opportunities which you have accomplished (a degree and a new home ;)) and as a friend of mine is often heard saying "Don't let 'em steal your joy!"; I know it's easier said than done, but you can still rejoice in knowing that you have made great strides, and surely there are more opportunities to come!

Many, many blessings to you for such bearing thru such a tragic event!
Thanx for sharing, too, that others may be forwarned!
Purpod

P.S. Yvonne, I really look forward to making the trek up to your place someday ~ I'm sure I'd be in heaven along with your critters! :p

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Oh I am so sorry.. Breaks my heart.. A few years ago I adopted a Wiem to go along with our other Wiem, never had a problem with her until the day (after a couple months in our home) she killed my 19 year old Cat, (Ashley who was my first furball baby) . I tried to get over it and forgive her but I never could. So it was best for both of us for her to be in a new home. Sad day but I had to rehome her with one of my husbands co-workers because every time I would look at her, it would remind me of that horrible day.. I am very sorry for you and your little stars..

Status
Not open for further replies.