Mystery Tortie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aretino

5 Year Member
My name is Peter Aretin. I'm a very long time resident of Boulder, Colorado, and I live, hunkered down among the millionaires, in a little, old, slightly run-down house in the center of town, which is a perfect house for me because I am little, old, and slightly run-down.

Since the sun shines nearly every day here in paradise, I do just about everything on my bicycle, which is little and old, a kind of rolling museum of bike parts. It is much better maintained than I am, however. Recently, I was riding in a commercial part of town and saw a tortoise trying to climb the curb of the street. I was surprised, since I haven't seen a tortie or box turtle on the loose in many years, and alarmed, since this was a wilderness of asphalt and concrete. I was very fond of turtles and their ilk as a child, so I felt obliged to take this tortie, which did not look like any of the ones that used to be native to the Southwest, home and try to learn its care and feeding. Perhaps here was a chance to rectify some of the less-than-successful turtle stewardship of my childhood. The tortie proved to be a Greek, about 5 and a half inches long.

I have two very clever and sociable Siamese, a blue point and a lilac point. Fortunately, they show little curiosity about Dinette and do not paw at her. I don't think they like the way she smells. My other pet is Morty, a cactus I found bare-root naked in the middle of a road, but that's another story.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Peter!

I'm so glad you've found and joined our forum. I truly enjoyed reading your introduction.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Lots of Greek keepers here. We all love to see pics too.

At some point I'd really love to hear your naked cactus story too. :)

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
I personally can not wait for more updates. I love reading you, as I'm sure you've heard before!
Pictures pictures pictures!!! (with lengthy stories, please!)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I hope the little cactus is no longer naked. :D

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
Welcome.... laughing out loud.... your intro was fantastic. Looking forward to the cactus story

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Welcome! I also am interested in how someone comes to own a naked cactus named Morty.

Aretino

5 Year Member
Tom said:
At some point I'd really love to hear your naked cactus story too. :)

I called him "Morty" because he was facing certain mort. Riding up Fourmile canyon to Wallstreet one morning I rounded a curve and there he was, almost exactly on the center line. His long, single skinny root was stretched out straight, in a silent, vegetable scream. I found the sight quite disturbing. "What kind of sick person would do this!!? Is this some postmodernist outrage?" It was a cactus known locally as the small-round-covered-with-lots-of-small-spines cactus.

I strapped Morty to my luggage rack and rode home. I found a pot I guessed about right and filled it with poor, sandy soil from a vacant lot nearby. I watered Morty once and left him outdoors in a sunny spot for a few years. Morty responded to all this loving care by making three more copies of himself, all of which bloom prettily in the spring.

On reflection, it is possible Morty became dislodged from a cutbank near the road and rolled into his near-fatal position.

I certainly sleep better thinking that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aretino said:
It was a cactus known locally as the small-round-covered-with-lots-of-small-spines cactus.

Ah, yes...I've heard of that one before. Thank goodness you saved Morty's life!

leeving

5 Year Member
Broomfield, CO
Good to have another Coloradan here. I work in Boulder and live in Broomfield. But I did live in Boulder for a number of years so I know your type for sure. If you need anything just PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.