Naomi and figs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a fig tree in my YF yard. They really...I mean REALLY...love those figs!!

Cute little eastern box turtle. Did she ever get her fig (they look pretty green)?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Patience...

My guys are spoiled, we don't have a tree so I pick them when I see them and they get a good treat for a day or two until they are gone again.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I wait until they are really ripe and then I throw them on the ground and they all come running. This goes on all Summer, every day. And yes, Yvonne, she got her fig. Naomi is a rescue from Julie M. She is missing her tail and has one eye that wasn't very good, but is fine now. Her shell is a little worm in places, but she is so tame and the sweetest little girl. When I pull weeds, she just sits next to me. I always bring her a treat. I think I love her the best of all my box turtles.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
I've been getting the BEST, plumpest dark figs at the farmer's market each week- totally organic, so they say. My littlest, Pumpkin (Kiki) LOVES them so I have to be careful. My biggest guy, Bump, will eat one half then go back to the lettuce and strawbs. Red fruit are always his preference. I'm going to look into growing some next year- this year we invested in 3 different colors of hibiscus. They eat the reds and oranges but won't touch the yellow hibiscus flowers- I guess I bought that one to enjoy visually, since the others are always stripped bare. LOL

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Cherries use to eat them every day, all Summer and now the Box turtles get them. I have a few fig trees, but the big one's have to be covered and and smaller one's my son puts in the garage for me. I have one fig tree that's called a Honey Fig. The figs are greenish yellow and they taste almost like a cantaloupe. People say don't give the RF's too much fruit, but mine ate the figs every day for the Summer months with no problem. I always said they are opportunists, and will eat anything that's available to them in the wild, so.........Anyway, just what I do..

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I'm super jealous of those of you that have fig trees in your yard! There's no shortage of apple trees here in Michigan, but figs I only get to enjoy it once a year! I spend top dollar on them and then I give them to my tortoises ha ha! :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Christina I live in NY and the Winters are bad here but we cover them really good with tar paper and also bring some in the garage. I even kept one small one in the house in a sunny window. You could try that.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Christina I live in NY and the Winters are bad here but we cover them really good with tar paper and also bring some in the garage. I even kept one small one in the house in a sunny window. You could try that.
That's great to hear! I actually bought a fig tree at the beginning of spring and it grew a foot over the summer, even sprouted ONE fig. I was enthralled! I'll keep trying the sunny window! Thanks! :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm super jealous of those of you that have fig trees in your yard! There's no shortage of apple trees here in Michigan, but figs I only get to enjoy it once a year! I spend top dollar on them and then I give them to my tortoises ha ha! :p
Awesome, I am near Detroit too, as are my parents, who have a fig tree in their backyard. They said the figs did not grow as well this summer. They do have a bunch of adorable little gourds though!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That's great to hear! I actually bought a fig tree at the beginning of spring and it grew a foot over the summer, even sprouted ONE fig. I was enthralled! I'll keep trying the sunny window! Thanks! :)
I have a lime tree in my front window (that faces south) and it seems pretty happy. I'm hoping that in the winter when the sun is closer to the horizon, that the little dude will grow some limes. He's grown a lot in the past year. I recommend the sunny window. ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a lime tree in my front window (that faces south) and it seems pretty happy. I'm hoping that in the winter when the sun is closer to the horizon, that the little dude will grow some limes. He's grown a lot in the past year. I recommend the sunny window. ;)
I got one of those lemon trees, but it never got a lemon, so I made it into a Bonsai. It looks cool, but ..no fruit.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Bonsai trees are still something pretty to look at. :) Maybe the magic citrus fairy needs to stop by our houses...!