Naturalistic turtle aquariums?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Has anybody successfully maintained naturalistic turtle aquarium?
I see photos on the internet of beautifully scape and planted turtle aquariums, and would love something similar.

I really want to upgrade my 2 aquariums to being more like a wild turtle’s environment.
My experience so far is that mud and musk turtles are basically aquatic bulldozers who gleefully uproot any plants and rearrange hard scape regularly.
Thoughts? Experience? Suggestions?

Thanks from Mooz

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, that's the problem with turtles. Unless you figure out a way to keep them away from the plants it's soon a mess.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I kept 55gallon tanks for many years....plants are pretty much useless for maintaining balance for all the obvious reasons, especially in a relatively small 55gal tank.

I was able to use softened water, plenty of filter area and slightly lower temps to slow the growth of algae. Giving them the occasional live food once a week or so generated the They worked pretty well but everything in the tank was hardened against the ravages of the turtles.

Anyone showing plants flourishing in a tank with turtles indicates that the turtles are fake or dead! LOL