Need a incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennyw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north carolina
Ok I found my first egg this morning in my goldens pen. What incubator do you guys suggest? And what to do with this egg till I choose or get a incubator? Help!!!

pennyw said:
Ok I found my first egg this morning in my goldens pen. What incubator do you guys suggest? And what to do with this egg till I choose or get a incubator? Help!!!

And when should I be seeing more eggs?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I know nothing at all about hatching eggs, but I'll give your thread a bump!
Very exciting- good luck!!!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
There are several threads related to homemade incubators. A cooler and an aquarium heater have worked for me in the past. I have however been using a hovabator I got on sale at LLL for many years now.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Normally a female Middle Eastern Greek will lay 2-5 eggs at a time. They do occasionally just deposit one. If the egg was found on the top of the substrate it may not be fertile. Although every egg should always be treated as if it is fertile and incubated. Or it may be fertile and the female did not have a suitable nesting site, carried it (or them) as long as she could until she had to begin depositing them. Having the male with the female all the time can also cause a female to not be able to nest if the male is pursues her constantly.
Whether the female was recently bred by the male or not is irrelevant. Most tortoise species, Testudo species for sure, can retain viable sperm from previous breedings for as many as 4-6 years. This enables them to continue to produce fertile eggs even if they do not make contact with a male every year.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Re: RE: Need a incubator

JoesMum said:
Obvious question, but has your female been with a male at any time? Is the egg likely to be fertile?

That doesn't matter if its with a male or not.If it's a wild caught female they can lay fertile eggs up to 4-5 year's without ever being with a male in captivity.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
I have a male and female , both are wild caught! I purchased them here from carebear late fall she housed them together so I kept them that way they have been breeding here lately . I was looking into getting an incubator and boom I found this egg. She has not dropped another one yet! I put nesting material in the closed in hide and have been monitoring it.
So gb I will remove the male for her to nest.
What incubator should I get its very confusing? Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.