Need advice, please no rude comments just trying my best

chapdaab

Location (City and/or State)
Dickinson
So I have four Sulcatas and after reading everything a part of me says I should find Other homes for at least two but my heart hurts. I have a back yard I measured an area I would like to use it’s 68ft by 29ft I would do a shed home area for winter that would be 600 square feet. Approximately is this a decent size for all four or am I still off on size

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings again. You should update your profile so folks realize you are in North Dakota. Freezing nasty winters.

I would just say that unless you have a very large well heated insulated barn, keeping & housing & feeding four growing healthy Sulcatas in ND will be hard on you & your torts. Summertime is easy, but from October through May you are going to find it very difficult. Feed, proper temperatures, proper high humidity, good lighting, night boxes, roaming room. Etc. All of this in cold weather climates is trying (at best) for one Sully. Caring for four will be exhausting & very expensive.

Id say, keep one & find good homes for the others. Unless of course you have unlimited funds & a nice insulated & heated barn.

Good luck

chapdaab

Dickinson
Greetings again. You should update your profile so folks realize you are in North Dakota. Freezing nasty winters.

I would just say that unless you have a very large well heated insulated barn, keeping & housing & feeding four growing healthy Sulcatas in ND will be hard on you & your torts. Summertime is easy, but from October through May you are going to find it very difficult. Feed, proper temperatures, proper high humidity, good lighting, night boxes, roaming room. Etc. All of this in cold weather climates is trying (at best) for one Sully. Caring for four will be exhausting & very expensive.

Id say, keep one & find good homes for the others. Unless of course you have unlimited funds & a nice insulated & heated barn.

Good luck
So the measurements I posted are not suitable

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I guess a 30 x 20 “shed” would work in size, can’t imagine keeping the heat to a minimum of 80 and high humidity all Winter long. But, anything is doable. My local Bikram yoga studio keeps their rooms HOT & humid all Winter long. It’s all about funds available.

Forgot to ask, how large are your Sullys now.?

chapdaab

Dickinson
I guess a 30 x 20 “shed” would work in size, can’t imagine keeping the heat to a minimum of 80 and high humidity all Winter long. But, anything is doable. My local Bikram yoga studio keeps their rooms HOT & humid all Winter long. It’s all about funds available.

Forgot to ask, how large are your Sullys now.?
Tiny haha born end of May the guy told me I have them indoor and will try to continue that till I can’t and will slowly build an out door area for them I’m not rich by any means what so ever and it would suck having to rehome any expecially In ND and I do love them and feel it’s my responsibility for them so trying to figure stuff out sooner then later

chapdaab

Dickinson
Tiny haha born end of May the guy told me I have them indoor and will try to continue that till I can’t and will slowly build an out door area for them I’m not rich by any means what so ever and it would suck having to rehome any expecially In ND and I do love them and feel it’s my responsibility for them so trying to figure stuff out sooner then later
My runt Rolo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have four Sulcatas and after reading everything a part of me says I should find Other homes for at least two but my heart hurts. I have a back yard I measured an area I would like to use it’s 68ft by 29ft I would do a shed home area for winter that would be 600 square feet. Approximately is this a decent size for all four or am I still off on size
Rude comments would not be helpful. We don't do that here.

I think your outdoor area for the warmer months is adequate, but a little on the small side for 4 adults at 1972 sq. ft. I like to go no smaller than 50x50', 2500 sq.ft., for a single adult as a general guideline. They can certainly survive in something smaller, but I prefer to go much bigger. I currently have my 1.2 adults in an 8000 sq. ft. space, with a 4x8' heated night box to share.

600 sq.feet, roughly 20x30' all winter long for 7-8 months of every year is pretty cramped even for a single adult. And how the heck are you going to heat an area that size to 80+ degrees all winter long in your climate? Wow. That is a daunting proposition, but it is certainly possible to do with enough time, money and effort. That is a bigger space than most people have for winter accommodations in the frozen north, but still too small for my own comfort level for a giant tortoise, or four, to have to live in for that amount of time.

This is all just opinion. Feelings based on personal experience, observation, and emotion. Some people do what you are proposing in smaller spaces than what you have and they feel okay about it. I wouldn't. I don't keep species that I don't feel are suitable for my climate. Redfoot tortoises, for example. I love them. I think they are super gorgeous and personable, but my climate is too hot and dry for them. I see other people in my area attempt to keep them and the results are unsatisfactory in my opinion, and in theirs sometimes. Along these lines, I wouldn't keep sulcatas if I lived where you live. Just my personal preference.

chapdaab

Dickinson
Rude comments would not be helpful. We don't do that here.

I think your outdoor area for the warmer months is adequate, but a little on the small side for 4 adults at 1972 sq. ft. I like to go no smaller than 50x50', 2500 sq.ft., for a single adult as a general guideline. They can certainly survive in something smaller, but I prefer to go much bigger. I currently have my 1.2 adults in an 8000 sq. ft. space, with a 4x8' heated night box to share.

600 sq.feet, roughly 20x30' all winter long for 7-8 months of every year is pretty cramped even for a single adult. And how the heck are you going to heat an area that size to 80+ degrees all winter long in your climate? Wow. That is a daunting proposition, but it is certainly possible to do with enough time, money and effort. That is a bigger space than most people have for winter accommodations in the frozen north, but still too small for my own comfort level for a giant tortoise, or four, to have to live in for that amount of time.

This is all just opinion. Feelings based on personal experience, observation, and emotion. Some people do what you are proposing in smaller spaces than what you have and they feel okay about it. I wouldn't. I don't keep species that I don't feel are suitable for my climate. Redfoot tortoises, for example. I love them. I think they are super gorgeous and personable, but my climate is too hot and dry for them. I see other people in my area attempt to keep them and the results are unsatisfactory in my opinion, and in theirs sometimes. Along these lines, I wouldn't keep sulcatas if I lived where you live. Just my personal preference.
I appreciate that I also have a red foot and maybe I did this all wrong thinking I was doing the right stuff. I mean the measurements I have is a fourth of my yard. Tough spot right now and is my own fault I hope I figure this out.....is it to early for you to tell if I have male or female
About 6 weeks old and one is about 4 months old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I appreciate that I also have a red foot and maybe I did this all wrong thinking I was doing the right stuff. I mean the measurements I have is a fourth of my yard. Tough spot right now and is my own fault I hope I figure this out.....is it to early for you to tell if I have male or female
About 6 weeks old and one is about 4 months old
You can usually tell by the time they are around 14".

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't keep sulcatas, I'm just friends with one.

But my entire outdoor enclosure is about 30 x 20. When I look at it, I cannot imagine 4 large sulcatas in there all winter. Maybe 2, but we know that doesn't work out well.

I'm sorry for your predicament, but that's my observation.
20200718_140539.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that outfit makes you look fat! You're feeding us THAT again for dinner? Your new hairstyle is NOT flattering.

Oh, wait. . . you said NO rude comments.

It's not a good idea to find homes for two of them, leaving you with two. Two tortoises in one area seldom works out. Three or more is generally ok, but one, in your situation/weatherwise, would be better.

And it will be easier to place them in new homes while they're still small.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If
It’s so hard but I know I have to figure something out thanks everyone
If you get the 3 adopted by someone you know you won't feel bad. There's a really good feeling with successfully rehomeing also. Especially later when you get to see they're ok.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I would re-home the 3. It’s your climate that is against you ? I’m in Nevada, we do have frosts and strong winds. There are quite a few days I lock koopa in her shed, which is smaller than yours and I admit my insulation could be better.... prolly re-do it soon. It’s difficult to keep the ambient temperature above 80 all the time. I have a night box with a Kane heat mat within her shed that holds heat better than the entire space of the shed. Heat mats are one of life’s greatest inventions!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Bee62 lives in Germany and has sulcatas and aldabrans. She has hers in a barn. I don't know if her weather is like yours or not, but look for her pictures and see if it helps you

Here's one thread, but the pictures don't show the whole barn: