Need advice - shell rot

Eva C

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
Hi! I think my new Russian tortoise Otis might have shell rot. He has cracks and damage on the bottom of his shell. This is from hitting the bottom of the aquarium as he tried to climb out and slid down the wall. (I have made a more appropriate house for him).

I have a picture of the top and bottom of his shell. I do not believe there is shell rot on top, but there is some splitting at the edges of the scutes. I think that's OK.

My understanding of the treatment is to clean the area with betadine, nolvasan, or chlorhexidine, then apply athletes foot cream until healed. I am going to start putting the antifungal on him right away, just in case. The foot cream I got is pictured below, in case I got the wrong thing. Could not find any of the others at the grocery store.

Please take a look at my pictures and let me know what you think. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! -EvaIMG_20170621_074756_492.jpg IMG_20170621_074856_661.jpg IMG_20170621_182248_926.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What you have is not shell rot. It's a cracked shell and will require a vet.
Do not use that antifungal cream on a crack like that.
It looks like he might have been stepped on or crushed in some other way.
Let's check with @deadheadvet

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
What you have is not shell rot. It's a cracked shell and will require a vet.
Do not use that antifungal cream on a crack like that.
It looks like he might have been stepped on or crushed in some other way.
Let's check with @deadheadvet

Oh my god. Ok. I did end up putting a little on him yesterday, but I won't anymore. He is eating and doing fine today. Will look into finding a vet for him. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do in the meantime. THANK YOU!!!

Eva C

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
I was able to get an appointment for Thursday, 1 week from now. Is that ok, or should I take him to the emergency vet?