Need advice with my sulcata

ChrisJohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Last year in december I took home one cool sulcata I named Mav, and he has been growing very fast since.
When I took him home he was only 5.5cm in plastron length, and now he's approximately 10cm(here we use cm for our metric system).

He is very active, he eats a lot, moves around all the time, he would disapear in an instant if I leave him in the backyard.
Here's a pict of him
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433094201.457323.jpg

Now my question is, if we look at sulcatas in the wild in Africa, they grow to be thin-lined, which is what my sulcata didn't grow to be, we can see as if the scutes aren't growing, and could somebody tell why is that?
Is this normal? Or am I missing something?
I live in Indonesia, so humidity isn't an issue, as far as temp is also very hot in here. I let him out in the outdoor cage everyday from 7am to 4pm(yes water is provided as well as shade and foods). And at night I have him inside the house in his enclosure with heat.
With his diets I usually feed him timothy hays, assorted vegs I looked up in the forum that are good for sulcatas, sometimes mazuri LS, or the occasional repcal pellets, and he also eats the grass in his outside cage.
Could someone please tell me why my sulcata isn't growing like the sulcatas in the wild?
Dont get me wrong, I dont mind about looks, I love him just the way he is, and I think he's very fine! I just wanna make sure I'm not mistreating him, and that I've given him the care he needs. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433094765.588403.jpg
Please tell me something!
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one knows what juvenile wild sulcatas look like. Very little is known about wild sulcatas at all, and I've never seen anything written about hatchlings or small juveniles. Have you found anything written on them over in Indonesia? Please share it if you have.

Your sulcata looks normal and healthy in every way. Its normal for the new growth to come in dark and then lighten up over time.

ChrisJohan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Thanks Tom! No I've never seen anything written about it either, I just assume that it would be like the adult sulcatas... And all the captive sulcatas here grew to be dark with small scutes and it just look nothing like the wild ones.