Need advice

Kazz67

Location (City and/or State)
London
image.jpgMorning
Well I’m totally new member but had a tortoise all through childhood I’ve recently been given a tortoise from a friend and bless him/her has totally been through the mill
The shell has loads of previous old knocks apparently he’s over 20 yrs but she had him for 2 months he’s eating well no toilet issues I bathed him this morning but he’s not a people lover at the moment he’s very active no breathing problems but his poor shell looks dry and unloved any ideas ohhhh and I’ve no idea of breed please see photos I’ve put him on kitchen floor to take photos and no he doesn’t roam in house image.jpgimage.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think it's fungus. I'm thinking the previous owners had a dog that liked to chew on the tortoise. there's nothing that needs to be done about it. I bet he'd appreciate a good soaking though. Put him into some sort of tub that he can't climb out of and add warm water up to the middle of his sides. Allow him to stay in there for 15 or 20 minutes. From now on, a good diet, plenty of water and no dog chewing on him and he should be fine. If you want, scrub his shell with plain water and a soft brush, rinse him well, dry him, then rub in some cold pressed coconut oil. After a few minutes, polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

Kazz67

London
I don't think it's fungus. I'm thinking the previous owners had a dog that liked to chew on the tortoise. there's nothing that needs to be done about it. I bet he'd appreciate a good soaking though. Put him into some sort of tub that he can't climb out of and add warm water up to the middle of his sides. Allow him to stay in there for 15 or 20 minutes. From now on, a good diet, plenty of water and no dog chewing on him and he should be fine. If you want, scrub his shell with plain water and a soft brush, rinse him well, dry him, then rub in some cold pressed coconut oil. After a few minutes, polish it off with an absorbent cloth.
Thank you so much he had a long soak this morning and is eating plenty of greens and calcium block in his varium and I will try the coconut