shellandpenny

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Hoping you all can help me...

I have two Russians and a baby sulcata . They go outside in the sunshine during the week but I bring them inside at night and when the weather is bad (Florida life).

But- I’m sick and tired of the zoo med bulbs breaking and costing a fortune. My question to you all is: what’s the best setup for UVB and heat?

Edit: I also have a bearded dragon who’s bulbs love to break as well

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use strip florescent UVB tubes.
They don't break or burn out in general, but they don't provide heat. And don't put out much UVB after 7 or 8 months.
If they're only inside at night. You should need no UVB. Just a CHE for heat and any, simple light source. Even a "soft white" household bulb. Just for light.
The Florida sunlight should be more than enough.

shellandpenny

Tampa, Florida
I use strip florescent UVB tubes.
They don't break or burn out in general, but they don't provide heat. And don't put out much UVB after 7 or 8 months.
If they're only inside at night. You should need no UVB. Just a CHE for heat and any, simple light source. Even a "soft white" household bulb. Just for light.
The Florida sunlight should be more than enough.
Awesome, thanks. Don’t hurt me but.. what is CHE? Lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ceramic Heat Emitter
No light. Just heat. And they last a LONG time. They screw in like a light bulb.
But you must use a ceramic socket light fixture for high heat. It may or may not be what you currently have.

shellandpenny

Tampa, Florida
Ceramic Heat Emitter
No light. Just heat. And they last a LONG time. They screw in like a light bulb.
But you must use a ceramic socket light fixture for high heat. It may or may not be what you currently have.
Don’t think I have this.. I just have the mini dome fixtures. Best place to purchase the CHE and fixture?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes
It's the correct socket type.
Don't use the clamp alone to secure it. The clamps fail. Causing the fixture to fall into the animals enclosure.
Use a secondary attachment, like zip ties, on top of the clamp for insurance.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Ok. Also, I saw within a thread somewhere here that people leave their CHE on 24/7 and then also have a basking bulb during the day?

For something like a Sulcata, you will almost definitely need it unless it’s enclosure is above 80 day and night. For something like a Russian, you probably won’t need one unless your house falls below 60. What species are we talking about?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
For something like a Sulcata, you will almost definitely need it unless it’s enclosure is above 80 day and night. For something like a Russian, you probably won’t need one unless your house falls below 60. What species are we talking about?

Ah, I see the species now. Are your Russians being housed together?