Need Help! Broken Beak

Totles

Hi Guys,

My turtle has somehow broken his lower beak. There has been no injury or any kind of bleeding. But its been a week now and he is still unable to eat anything solid. I have been feeding him powdered pellets paste with the help of a dipper.

I have uploaded his pics here. From what I have read, turtles grow their beaks back. Can anyone tell me how much time will it take to grow back? I am really scared. Pls help.:(

Regards,
TotlesaltApeDHIdI_NOO_TXk4UwFPfzOHKfkxKZ6NrYMHtfYx9xM.jpgaltAh5fTVznEdsVt7kvfVfG0xKwJJ-uy2lZ8tGsuBJqH2Ii.jpgaltAmr-URsYNr_Xbo2yTn3N721iLKVDhn4V09MUDNtIMeuD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh my... That poor little turtle!

The reason this has happened to your turtle is because he has a pretty bad case of MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease). Because of the MBD and improper husbandry, his beak was overgrown. The top beak is overgrown too. And his shell is deformed because of the MBD. You can see it also in his claws.

This turtle badly needs an improvement of diet and some regular sunshine for the UVB. What have you been feeding him? He needs calcium and sunshine/uvb.

I don't know if the lower beak with grow back or not, sorry.

This is what your turtle is supposed to look like:

http://vivariumguide.com/red-eared-slider-terrarium/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Yvonne's suggestions in a big way. You need to get him taken care of in a much better and proper way ASAP.