1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Need help confirming cherry head

Discussion in 'Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises' started by moto456r, Mar 6, 2018.

1. moto456r

moto456r New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Houston, TX
    Hello Guys, I am new to the forum and seeing if yall can help me confirm that these are true cherry heads. I know the plastrons should be darker I just want to make sure these are dark enough. I have had them for about 5 months. Thanks for all the help.

Attached Files:

kellygirl64 likes this.
  2. Rob99

Rob99 New Member

San Diego
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Yes they are. Nice tortoise’s.
  3. Robber

Robber Active Member 5 Year Member

MO, USA
    Their appearance suggests to me that they are more likely intergrades than "pure" Cherryheads - while they have very red heads/forelimbs(although babies with reddish heads can turn quite yellow as they mature), the carapaces moreso resemble the typical Northern redfoot(less contrast, more yellowish/tan coloration) and as you mentioned the plastrons do as well. It is hard to know for sure without knowing their origin. Just my opinion... They are beautiful in either case.
    Anyfoot likes this.
  4. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

UK Sheffield
    I see where Robber is coming from. The only thing that looks Brazilian(cherryhead) to me is the red scales. Carapace,plastron and head morph look northern to me.
  5. moto456r

moto456r New Member

Houston, TX
    Thanks, guy I guess we will see as they grow up.