Need help identifying plant

TortillaTheTortioise

Location (City and/or State)
N/A
Not sure if these are weeds or if it's safe for a hatchling tortoise, can anyone identify it. It does look like there's two different types growing. I put some in pots and in a ice cream container with water. IMG_20190505_120802.jpg IMG_20190505_120849.jpg IMG_20190505_120845.jpg IMG_20190505_120819.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Not sure if these are weeds or if it's safe for a hatchling tortoise, can anyone identify it. It does look like there's two different types growing. I put some in pots and in a ice cream container with water. View attachment 271443 View attachment 271444 View attachment 271445 View attachment 271446
The one with the round leaf is a geranium. They can eat it, but I have found mine don't really like it. And the other one I am not sure what it is called, but my adults eat it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ha! Winston likes them, my other two girls I haven’t tried yet. If it would just warm up outside I could get them growing better.
View attachment 271455
I have them growing wild in the nature reserve next to my house. I will sometimes slip a piece amongst their food but I have to be careful how much otherwise they will leave all of the food if there is too much.

aqualungs

Perry, OH
I have them growing wild in the nature reserve next to my house. I will sometimes slip a piece amongst their food but I have to be careful how much otherwise they will leave all of the food if there is too much.

Isn’t that funny. I find myself hiding the good stuff in their food lol!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
He probably just needs time to get used to it. You can try cutting up some very small pieces of it, dampen them, and mix them in with his regular food. He’ll get the taste of it and they usually go from there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom, I gave some to Tortilla but he didn't eat any, it does smell a bit strong so maybe that's why?
Tortoises take a while to get used to any new food. Keep trying to introduce it. Chop up a tiny amount of any new food and mix it in with a pile of e the old favorites. In time this method will get them eating better stuff, and eventually, they will eat just about anything you put in front to them.

In the one pic I think I see some "red apple"? Its a ground cover succulent native to South Africa. I think its super cool to see it growing in the native environment, and its kind of fun for me because I feed it to my Cherisna and to my SA leopards. :)

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Tortoises take a while to get used to any new food. Keep trying to introduce it. Chop up a tiny amount of any new food and mix it in with a pile of e the old favorites. In time this method will get them eating better stuff, and eventually, they will eat just about anything you put in front to them.

In the one pic I think I see some "red apple"? Its a ground cover succulent native to South Africa. I think its super cool to see it growing in the native environment, and its kind of fun for me because I feed it to my Cherisna and to my SA leopards. :)
Tom can you please tell me which one is the red apple ground cover please. So I can keep an eye out for it and add it to my list of foods.