Need Help Please. (Prolapse)

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
Hello,
I checked on one of my female Russians and she has a large red bag like thing hanging from her vent. It's hard to describe and has a little blood on it. My vet is closed. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello,
I checked on one of my female Russians and she has a large red bag like thing hanging from her vent. It's hard to describe and has a little blood on it. My vet is closed. Not sure what to do. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Keep the area clean and moist..I am going to invite in another member who will have better instructions.

@Yvonne G

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It sounds like you are describing a prolapse. I have not had experience with them before, but search for prolapse on the forum.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
definitely sounds like a prolapse you need to go to a vet. as soon as possible. until you can you need to keep it moist and clean so it doesn't get infected or gangerous.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto with above and I have also read to put sugar on it. But do keep it moist and do not let it dry out. I will put out another call to @Yvonne G and in the mean time, keep her soaking in warm water and maybe post a pic of what your seeing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sugar will draw the moisture out and cause the swelling to go down which may allow it to retract naturally and in this instance I would use sugar water in a bag and keep it in there. you'll have to figure out why a prolapse happened they usually result of too much straining due to constipation.

axeman25

Central Michigan
I got her to the vet and he got it back in with a stitch. I have to give her an antibiotic shot for the next nine days. He wants to see her back in two weeks. Thanks again for all your help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Kevin: It's very important that you try to figure out what caused this prolapse. If you don't fix the cause, the prolapse will happen again. Prolapse in females is usually due to being egg bound, but can also be caused by constipation or parasites. It happens when the tortoise is straining to get something out.

Peach

My girl prolapsed then re prolapsed the stitch didn't work, I honestly thought I was gonna lose my baby girl, it was due to me doing what reptile shop said and done sand and soil mix and of course she eat it :-( so I went back to grass pellets and she's been fine ever since. Hope your tort has speedy recovery.

axeman25

Central Michigan
Hello all, and thanks again for your responses. I just thought I'd update everyone on how April is doing. The vet wanted to see her in two weeks after putting the prolapse back in and a stitch in it, well, the day before I was supposed to take her back in she prolapsed again. The vet put it back in (again) and added a stitch that doesn't dissolve. So far so good. It's been well over a month and no more issues. I was not able to find the cause of it though. When I first got them I was using a sand/soil mix for substrate, but I changed that a couple months before this happened. I'm wondering if it takes that long for the sand to get through her? Oh well, she's happy again and all better now. Well, she better be after spending around $550 on two vet calls.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello all, and thanks again for your responses. I just thought I'd update everyone on how April is doing. The vet wanted to see her in two weeks after putting the prolapse back in and a stitch in it, well, the day before I was supposed to take her back in she prolapsed again. The vet put it back in (again) and added a stitch that doesn't dissolve. So far so good. It's been well over a month and no more issues. I was not able to find the cause of it though. When I first got them I was using a sand/soil mix for substrate, but I changed that a couple months before this happened. I'm wondering if it takes that long for the sand to get through her? Oh well, she's happy again and all better now. Well, she better be after spending around $550 on two vet calls.
Could it be diet related?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Did the vet take X-Ray to look for blockage? Is she having normal bowel movements? Something had to cause it. If it was the sand it could have taken awhile to work through and block things. Hope she continues to do alright.