Need help, upgrading freshwater tank

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
So I've recently struck a problem. I've checked a few aquarists forms, but they're full with conflicting statements. Could any of you guys help?
My heater blew today, the day before I have to go out of town. Everything is closed now, so I'll have to go tomorrow.
I have a 30 gallon tank, what heaters (type and wattage) and filter system is best (does a certain volume per hour mean anything)?
(For the filter speed I should mention I have a few silver dollars, black widow tetras, cory catfish, and a pleco)
Thanks again!

Okapizebra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Heater wattage is going to depend on how large of a difference the outside air is to the aquarium. If it only needs to warm up the tank a couple degrees, a 50 watt would be fine. If it needs to warm up significantly more, a 100 watt would be plenty. The titanium ones tend to last the longest.

As far as filtration goes, I personally like fluval aquaclears. An aquaclear 50 would be perfect. They don't have those stupid filter cartridges that need to be replaced every month. Saves money and they work really well. I've had several for many years and they still work wonderfully.