Need help with adopted tortoise

kalei01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lubbock, TX
I just adopted this Lil guy a week ago what should I feed him found tortoise food for grassland tortoises but he won't eat it so I went to store and bought the spring mix lettuce is that good for him also was told from some sites to soak him others say it's unnatural and wrong some say to dust food with calcium and others say no help please

20170131_195246.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I just adopted this Lil guy a week ago what should I feed him found tortoise food for grassland tortoises but he won't eat it so I went to store and bought the spring mix lettuce is that good for him also was told from some sites to soak him others say it's unnatural and wrong some say to dust food with calcium and others say no help please
If you look at the Species specific section there is a caresheet for Russians that will tell you all about diet,temperatures humidity and substrate etc. The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will also help you avoid problems. If you post pics of his enclosure members can also advise you on how to make sure his home will keep him as healthy and safe as possible.
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is also a good guide to tort safe plants for food and enclosures.
Here is the caresheet link
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You've got a sulcata baby there. Please read these for the correct care and feeding info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
That's a sulcata .
Please read the links above and remember many sites have outdated information, these are up to date and written by experienced keepers of the species concerned.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
is it okay to let him run loose in back yard it's fenced in with 8 ft wooden fence

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
is it okay to let him run loose in back yard it's fenced in with 8 ft wooden fence

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

NO!!!!! if you allow that tiny baby to be free in your back yard, you'll never see him again. At that size they have to be protected. Birds will carry them off. Cat like to play with them. He might get stepped on.

Baby tortoises need their own, protected space. Please read the information linked for you in the above posts. It tells you all about how to care for that baby.

Bee62

Germany
Hello,

we need more informations about your baby and his enclosure to help you.
Your enclosure looks very dry and the baby not active. There seems to be something wrong.
How high are the temps day and night and the humidity in the enclosure of your baby sulcata. If you don`t change things that are wrong quick, your baby tort may die !

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Hello,

we need more informations about your baby and his enclosure to help you.
Your enclosure looks very dry and the baby not active. There seems to be something wrong.
How high are the temps day and night and the humidity in the enclosure of your baby sulcata. If you don`t change things that are wrong quick, your baby tort may die !
Oh my i did not know things were that serious he eats a lot during feeding time and walks around a lot afters. temps are 80-85 during day and dont know what humidity is i have cypress mulch in there that i wet down for the humidity. last night i forgot to turn night time heat on and the temp dropped to around 68 is that okay i put on his light and moved him under basking lamp this morning

Bee62

Germany
Things are serious when a tortoise don`t eat and move.

Your little sulcata should every day
be active most time of the day with short breaks. Active means walking interested around.
Your little sulcata should every day eat most time of the day with short breaks.

If these two points are the normal behavior of your tort, he or she is probably healthy.
But if the tort behaves tired or have no appetite, there is something wrong that you have to change quick.

How warm is it under the basking lamp of your tort ?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oh my i did not know things were that serious he eats a lot during feeding time and walks around a lot afters. temps are 80-85 during day and dont know what humidity is i have cypress mulch in there that i wet down for the humidity. last night i forgot to turn night time heat on and the temp dropped to around 68 is that okay i put on his light and moved him under basking lamp this morning
I would put your lights and night heat on timers, this way you don't have to remember to turn things on. Timers are only around $5.00

I know these were already posted but I would highly advise reading them many times over.

Please read these for the correct care and feeding info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
I would put your lights and night heat on timers, this way you don't have to remember to turn things on. Timers are only around $5.00

I know these were already posted but I would highly advise reading them many times over.

Please read these for the correct care and feeding info:
Does it get easier raising the tortoise as he gets older or does it get harder

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Like was said it gets much easier. Hatchlings can be fragile at first but once you get things set up right it's very easy to maintain.

I have several enclosures set up and never have to turn on a light or heat. All are set to timers and thermostats. All I do is soak my torts daily, put some food and water in daily, and occasionally I pour some water in the enclosures to keep the humidity up.

Last edited by a moderator:

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Like was said it gets much easier. Hatchlings can be fragile at first but once you get things set up right it's very easy to maintain.

I have several enclosures set up and never have to turn on a light or heat. All are set to timers and thermostats. All I do is soak my torts daily, put some food and water in daily, and occasionally I pour some water in the enclosures to keep the humidity up.
Thanks for all y'alls help. That being said i will head your advise. I am going to get a humidity guage think its called a hydrometer and a digital temp guage i also going to get a CHE controlled off of a thermostat to keep the temperature where it needs to be and keep him happy

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Much easier because you feel more confident with what you're doing :)

We have had ours over 40 years now. It doesn't stop us worrying occasionally, but we're pretty relaxed most of the time!
How often should i weigh him to make sure he is growing and is helathy he does still eat a lot

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How often should i weigh him to make sure he is growing and is helathy he does still eat a lot
Fortnightly is plenty when they're small.

Try to do it at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency. Straight after a morning soak is good.

Resist the temptation to weigh too frequently as a poop or pee can make a massive difference to the weight of a small tortoise. :)

I only weigh Joe once a month or so these days.

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
want to provide overnight heat and daytime heat above setpoint was told for sulcata 85-90 is a good temp to work with should I go with under tank heater or hearing pad or a che

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
want to provide overnight heat and daytime heat above setpoint was told for sulcata 85-90 is a good temp to work with should I go with under tank heater or hearing pad or a che
Undertank isn't very good. I used a CHE for Charlie. They last forever.

It gets easier. Once you have everything set up right, it doesn't take much time at all. If you live in a mild climate and have access to a garden, like I do, it is even easier. Where do you live?

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Undertank isn't very good. I used a CHE for Charlie. They last forever.

It gets easier. Once you have everything set up right, it doesn't take much time at all. If you live in a mild climate and have access to a garden, like I do, it is even easier. Where do you live?
Lubbock texas which is west texas we start warming up this time of the year and usually have warm weather from mid march till late november till early december What temps do you recommend to keep his enclosure at night We keep house at 65 in winter so temps in his enclosure follow without heat lamp on