Need help with food for tortoise

nathanlevi

Location (City and/or State)
California, North Hollywood, LA
Should I feed my leopard tortoise Timothy hay or alfalfa and should it be fresh or dry like for hamsters. Also should I give the flowers of geranium to my leopard tortoise the leaves or both. Thanks

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If it’s a baby leopard, it probably won’t eat hay. It needs to be fed fresh weeds and dark leafy greens. Not sure about the geranium.

Can we see a pic of your tortoise and enclosure?

Welcome to tortoise forum!

Curtis_

Kansas
I would massively suggest going online and looking at a leopard tortoise care sheet. It's critically important they have the right diet, hydration, humidity, and uv. I don't own a leopard tortoise so I couldn't tell you personally what you should feed it, but I really don't think hay or flowers is the best choise, especially for a baby tortoise.
Best of luck! :)

Bambam1989

East Texas

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Diet depends on size and your available foods. Alfalpha is not good for any age though. Orchard grass hay is my prefered. I chop it up and soak it to feed it to my adults. I do not feed it to babies. When available I feed weeds, leaves and grass. I winter i feed endive, escarole, other grocery greens in small amounts, and supplement with zoo med grassland tortoise food, and hydrated timothy hay pellets.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
thank you all for helping!!! By the way do any of you know what kind of cactus leopard tortoises eat and how often.

Spineless Prickly pair cactus, also known as nopales or paddle cactus. Like all foods, feed in moderation. Cactus is a great source of calcium, but is also a laxative.

So how about those enclosure pics?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Just a few things.
- you need hides. Tortoises need a dark place where they can feel secure. You have none. A regular hide and a humid hide are perfect.
-the lights. The red light you have makes tortoises think that the substrate is food, and they will try to eat it. Also, tortoises need total darkness to sleep, and can see the red lights. It needs to be replaced with a ceramic heat emitter for night heat.
I’m also going to assume that you have a coil/compact uvb bulb in there. If not, please correct me. They are known to cause eye problems, and are not very effective. You need a fluorescent tube light, or a mercury vapor bulb. Please look these up, and ask us about them when you are trying to choose one.
-the thermometer. Those disk thermometers are not reliable at all, and you could take 30 off of one shelf and they’d all read something different. You need a digital thermometer with a probe, or a temperature gun. You can find temp guns on amazon for 15 dollars, and they are an absolute life saver.
The substrate- your substrate needs to be MUCH deeper, like 4+ inches.

Keep in mind, the temperatures need to remain above 80 degrees at all times everywhere in the enclosure, and the basking spot needs to be around 100.

I’m just going to warn you, tortoises are very expensive animals that require a lot of space. I have had mine for a little over a year, and have already spent 500-1500 dollars on it, and it’s only 6 inches or so long.That tiny tank is going to be out grown in a few months, so I would suggest to start building a very large closed chamber. Your tortoise will have to go outside full time, if you have the right weather for it. Are you ready for a ft-ft and a half long tortoise?

Last edited:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Also, mesh covered tops like that are almost impossible to keep heat and humidity in. I would cover it with tin foil, and cut out circles for the lights.

Bambam1989

East Texas
thank you all for helping!!! By the way do any of you know what kind of cactus leopard tortoises eat and how often.
Prickly pear cactus is good, you can find thornless varieties, they are often called Opuntia and in grocery stores you can sometimes find them labeled as "nopales".
You can also feed "aloe vera" leaves.
A couple of common succulent house plants that are edible are "Christmas cactus" and the "Jade plant"

nathanlevi

Just a few things.
- you need hides. Tortoises need a dark place where they can feel secure. You have none. A regular hide and a humid hide are perfect.
-the lights. The red light you have makes tortoises think that the substrate is food, and they will try to eat it. Also, tortoises need total darkness to sleep, and can see the red lights. It needs to be replaced with a ceramic heat emitter for night heat.
I’m also going to assume that you have a coil/compact uvb bulb in there. If not, please correct me. They are known to cause eye problems, and are not very effective. You need a fluorescent tube light, or a mercury vapor bulb. Please look these up, and ask us about them when you are trying to choose one.
-the thermometer. Those disk thermometers are not reliable at all, and you could take 30 off of one shelf and they’d all read something different. You need a digital thermometer with a probe, or a temperature gun. You can find temp guns on amazon for 15 dollars, and they are an absolute life saver.

Keep in mind, the temperatures need to remain above 80 degrees at all times everywhere in the enclosure, and the basking spot needs to be around 100.

I’m just going to warn you, tortoises are very expensive animals that require a lot of space. I have had mine for a little over a year, and have already spent 500-1500 dollars on it, and it’s only 6 inches or so long.That tiny tank is going to be out grown in a few months, so I would suggest to start building a very large closed chamber. Your tortoise will have to go outside full time, if you have the right weather for it. Are you ready for a ft-ft and a half long tortoise?

For the hides part I use the one to the right of the pic I took it out so you can see everything. Do you think that that hide would work if you want I can take a picture of it separately.

nathanlevi

Just a few things.

For the lights part I will change the red light but do you know where I can find a ceramic heat emitter?