Need info on water for CDT 50+ yrs old

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno, Nevada
My CDT has lived in our backyard in Southern California for 50 years. She has lived on plants, flowers and grass. We had been giving her water from garden hose 2 times per week. I thought all was well until I joined the Tortoise Forum. Now I am soaking her daily for 15 mins. I am confused about the soaking. One lady said she never soaks her adults. Touche' named after the cartoon character of the 1960's has never liked water on her body ie: sprinklers, water bath etc. She runs like heck to get out of it. Do I continue to soak her to avoid dehydration? Even though she has survived for 50 yrs in the yard, I do want her to be at peak health.
Also, I have ordered the MegaDiet and will attempt to feed it to her today. I'm sure she will laugh me out of the yard but it is worth a try. Thanks for all advice I can get.

staticmap

Attachments

• image-957522870.png
    image-957522870.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 47

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would not really soak your tortoise. I have had CDT's now for about 20 plus years. I have one right now that is 17 years old when I got him, I have had him for 8 years now. I have a water bowl for him to drink from, but he never uses it but whenever I water the yard (3 times a week) he runs to the dirty water and drinks like there is no tomorrow. I would water 3 time a week myself and let the CDT drink as much as he wants and not worry about soaking him.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would give your tort water to drink 24/7, I never understood why people think living things dont need more water to drink. Id hate to be limited on my water intake, of course if i was living in the wild i would be forced to live in conditions where water is not always available. The soaking thing for an adult is really up to you, if your tort isnt stressed by soaking him then of course the soaking is a good thing, but if it stresses your adult tort out then dont soak.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have to agree with the Cap'n. Daily soaks are for brand new hatchlings and babies. If your routine has worked for 50 years, I would not change it unless you see a problem.

One thing you could do is to find a shady area and sink a big terra cotta plant saucer level with the ground. This way your tortoise could drink whenever it feels the need, in addition to the twice a week hose drinks.

What is the "Mega diet"? Haven't heard of that one before.

snaofreno

5 Year Member
Reno, Nevada
Thanks to all. I'm skipping the soaks. I already bought the terra cotta dish to place in a shady spot for her to use and will still bring her to the hose 3x week.
Re: MegaDiet, info found on www.tortoisegroup.org. Check it out. It's supposed to be an all-inclusive tortoise food. It looks and smells like rabbit pellets...no offense to rabbits. I am going to attempt to feed it to Touche' today. If she hates it I won't worry. As you said....if she's been ok for 50 yrs.....carry on.
Thanks for the rapid responses.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If it's not broke, don't mess with it....lol....what you have outlined sounds absolutely ideal and the exact set up that CDT would and should thrive in....and adding the soaking dish is a good thing as well....I don't think I would add any commercial food at this stage in life for your tort....the weeds and grasses and grazing items are by far much better for your tort than any commercial food....also, you don't want to change up a perfect diet....just my opinion...and your tort is beautiful...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.