NEED NIGHTBOX HELP

kamekothesulcata

Hey everyone,

I have a 15 inch 7 year old Sulcata and temps are dropping severely where I live (NorCal).

I have two options for nightboxes, I just bought a travel kennel for my tortoise to SOLELY sleep in. It's small but big enough for her to move around a bit. She moves around a lot when I bring her inside at night but always dozes off to sleep. Can I use this kennel as her nightbox for just sleeping? She has a huge outdoor enclosure for daytime.

2nd Option: I have a "trunk" type of thing also, is the kennel too small for her to just sleep? Should I just make this her nightbox? Should I ditch the kennel completely? She will be able to roam freely all hours of the day as ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448846317.904991.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448846344.625059.jpg this is just for nighttime.

The trunk is obviously not finished, I would put a flooring and bottom and probably natural substrate

Thank you for any comments!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Where would the night box be? If outside, you'll need a big enough box that you can add some sort of heat unit with enough room for the tortoise to be able to get away from the heat unit. For example, three medium sized tortoises use this box for night time:

night house a.jpg

night house b.jpg

Those black things on the walls are radiant heat panels. With a controller set at 80F degrees, the inside of the box reads 80F every morning, even though outside the box it's about 30F.

kamekothesulcata

Where would the night box be? If outside, you'll need a big enough box that you can add some sort of heat unit with enough room for the tortoise to be able to get away from the heat unit. For example, three medium sized tortoises use this box for night time:

View attachment 157221

View attachment 157222

Those black things on the walls are radiant heat panels. With a controller set at 80F degrees, the inside of the box reads 80F every morning, even though outside the box it's about 30F.

Hey Ivonne, my nightbox will be inside with the natural heat of my house being high 70s-low 80s. Until I get lamps and actual heat sources, which kennel or trunk do you think I should use? Is the kennel okay for now? I've made it super comfy but worry it is too small, but then again she's just sleeping in it?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If you're keeping her indoors without any additional heat source, she doesn't need to be in a box at all, just contained so she can't roam around your house. You can do that just by putting barriers around her. If you were going to add a heat source, the trunk is better since it would keep the heat inside. Just make sure it isn't airtight. Eventually you'll want to build something outside with heat that she can go in and out as needed.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hey Ivonne, my nightbox will be inside with the natural heat of my house being high 70s-low 80s. Until I get lamps and actual heat sources, which kennel or trunk do you think I should use? Is the kennel okay for now? I've made it super comfy but worry it is too small, but then again she's just sleeping in it?

Wow, you keep your house really warm; I'm jealous. The metal gate of the kennel isn't ideal. I could imagine a determined sulcata hurting herself trying to get out through it. The trunk (assuming it's not airtight) seems like a safer, sturdier option.

kamekothesulcata

If you're keeping her indoors without any additional heat source, she doesn't need to be in a box at all, just contained so she can't roam around your house. You can do that just by putting barriers around her. If you were going to add a heat source, the trunk is better since it would keep the heat inside. Just make sure it isn't airtight. Eventually you'll want to build something outside with heat that she can go in and out as needed.

Okay thanks for the input!!

kamekothesulcata

Wow, you keep your house really warm; I'm jealous. The metal gate of the kennel isn't ideal. I could imagine a determined sulcata hurting herself trying to get out through it. The trunk (assuming it's not airtight) seems like a safer, sturdier option.

Thanks so much! Your completely right and I thought about it, but her legs are super big and not able to fit in one or two of the squares. I'll be waking up early early tomorrow to get her and am continuing to check on her every 15-20 minutes