RT Nightbox Planning

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Good morning all! Im planning on building a nightbox for my russian. It will measure 18in x 24in x 12-15in tall. It has been getting into the low 60s high 50s at night here and its been gloomy during the day so no real sun. The temps wouldn't really be worrying me but i live near the water so it can get windy. I'm worried about RI (which i lost one tortoise to after a storm). I plan to use a radiant heat panel and heat mat duo. I have found an RHP that is reliable but I've had some trouble with a heat mat. Will any brand heat mat work fine as long as its connected to a thermostat (i.e.; flakers, villa, zoomed)? Kane heat mats are too large for what I'm looking to build. Thanks for any and all input

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
RTs can handle the cooler temps at night, but I would be concerned about your tort not being able to bask by day. The latter is more likely to cause health problems.

I think rigging up a heat lamp for daytime use would be a good idea. I have a dog kennel with a heat lamp in it for Joe. I go find him in the mornings and stick him under the lamp where he toasts until he is ready to go face the day in the garden. He rarely takes himself in the kennel voluntarily, but once he is in, he enjoys the heat.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
RTs can handle the cooler temps at night, but I would be concerned about your tort not being able to bask by day. The latter is more likely to cause health problems.

I think rigging up a heat lamp for daytime use would be a good idea. I have a dog kennel with a heat lamp in it for Joe. I go find him in the mornings and stick him under the lamp where he toasts until he is ready to go face the day in the garden. He rarely takes himself in the kennel voluntarily, but once he is in, he enjoys the heat.

I've been reading about night boxes and have seen that ceramic heat emitters can dry the tortoise out and in effect burn them. Can this be possible with a heat lamp as well?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's a standard basking lamp in the dog kennel rigged up on a lamp stand just as all the keepers of indoor tortoises use. An incorrectly rigged lamp could scorch the tort's shell, but that is why you should use a temperature gun to check the temperature underneath it when setting it up.

I have not heard of scorching from a heat mat. They don't get warm enough. I would never use one with a tortoise because tortoises like to dig down jnto the substrate and their claws are likely to damage it. There is more of a risk of electrocution!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My Russian group liked a lower clearance. I'd suggest you keep it under 9" tall.
Those temps are ok as long as you can keep them dry.
I agree with @JoseMum. Of you are set on providing heat..I'd offer a heat spot during the day vs. night heat.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
My Russian group liked a lower clearance. I'd suggest you keep it under 9" tall.
Those temps are ok as long as you can keep them dry.
I agree with @JoseMum. Of you are set on providing heat..I'd offer a heat spot during the day vs. night heat.

Ok looks like that's what I'll be doing. Any pictures for inspiration?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This particular house was 3' long, 1.5' wide and about 9" tall. Each door was 6"x6". The roof was hinged/locked and shingled for rain run off. The dividers helped give more corners to nestle into as well as create sight barriers.

29cxhtw.jpg

After the group was inside at night, I set some cinder blocks in the doorway. I had used hinged doors in the past but the Russians always clogged the hinges with so much dirt, that it stopped working.

2nupsuh.jpg

2z9d34i.jpg

33425gj.jpg

ixv8cl.jpg

I've built a few houses like this....hope this helps!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
This particular house was 3' long, 1.5' wide and about 9" tall. Each door was 6"x6". The roof was hinged/locked and shingled for rain run off. The dividers helped give more corners to nestle into as well as create sight barriers.

29cxhtw.jpg

After the group was inside at night, I set some cinder blocks in the doorway. I had used hinged doors in the past but the Russians always clogged the hinges with so much dirt, that it stopped working.

2nupsuh.jpg

2z9d34i.jpg

33425gj.jpg

ixv8cl.jpg

I've built a few houses like this....hope this helps!

Wow! Looks great. Lots of helpful ideas. Thank you

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Here it is. I had to use a hand saw for the whole thing which is why it looks rinky dink. Insulated it with expanding foam.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401160637.680645.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401160671.913417.jpg

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
That's the best part! Did you decide to offer night heat or day heat?

I realized I don't have an outlet near my enclosure so I guess I just built it to keep him nice and dry. My main concern was windy nights so the box will take care of that. Temps at the lowest are 57-62 so not too bad. I temp gunned his basking rock this morning and it was at 110 so he's hearing up before he goes in for the night

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Lol you sound like you have the same weather i have >.< I live in San Francisco were we dont have a summer nor we have any winter... Its FREAKIN NUTS! lol... My enclosure is half coldframe and half just open space. My usual temp here is at around 65-70 during the summer but inside the cold frame gets up to 85-90 degrees. So it is nice. I just use regular clear plastic so some UV does get in. I have a small door that lets them in and out of the cold frame. Ill post pictures tomorrow because im at work right now lol....

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
This is an old picture. I'll post a video for you guys tomorrow. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401252789.998106.jpg