Need suggestion for enclosure modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Traverse City, MI
Simon and Garfunkel are now one year old and both have grown so much that their current juvenile enclosure is already too small for them.
Today I found a great buy on a sand box that would give them plenty of room. I will have it up on a table top, but since I have small dogs, I still feel safer having a lid on it when I am not home, and also to help keep humidity levels correct for the redfoots.
My thoughts are to cut away part of the top and put screening over the opening. I took a photo and have drawn two different areas - one in red, one in blue. Which one do you think I should use to make my cut? I'm thinking the red line as that way there will be enough room for the heat lamps over head. But will that make it too dry?

sandboxMod.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very cool looking....I would say that you should allow for the lights/fixtures to comfortably do their job without touching the top and also a little air flow....I can not say exactly which line I would cut on, as you are there in person and will be able to judge size much better....:D

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
thanks Angela. There are two air slots at each end that are about 3"x1.5" Once I make the cout out on the top they should be getting plenty of air flow. I worry more that if I cut along the blue line then the heat lamp would only keep the center warm. The small enclosure they currently live in has a really warm end, a medium warm end, and a cooler end. They seem to prefer the really warm end which is also where their hide is

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
I'm guessing that people may be thinking this is not a good idea at all since no one - aside from Angela (ty) - is replying.
Maybe not even use the lid at all, but just get a large piece of plexiglass cut to fit where the lid fits now and drill holes for ventilation?
This would make it safe for heat lamps, keep it humid, and keep them safe from my little dogs?

What do you all think? If the entire idea sucks and you think I should find another enclosure altogether please sound off.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
I would cut the where you have the red line and screen it, it. Will give a little bigger area for your lights.

I was thinking of using the samething! But have decided to have someone build me one!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My nickel's worth is...

The smaller the top hole the better for heat/humidity loss... but I would hate to cover my beautiful red-footeds up that much. If I cannot see and enjoy them, why bother keeping them?

On the other hand, I suspect that a simple plexi cover will be kind of low and need some sort of bracing to make it strong enough to not sag. Would you be able to basically make a sort of upside down box for a new lid?

44x32 is a really nice size for young torts, and I like the overall idea.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how about a different cut? cut the sun in half, that way you still have a lid to help with humidity can see them and hang heat.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I suggest going with the red line cut. I modified the lid for a Christmas Tree storage box similarly. Leaving a flat ledge, I cut out the center of the lid. I was able to wire hail screen to cover the hole I had made. The box was taller so I was able to rest the heat lamp right on the wire.

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
Madkins007 said:
My nickel's worth is...

The smaller the top hole the better for heat/humidity loss... but I would hate to cover my beautiful red-footeds up that much. If I cannot see and enjoy them, why bother keeping them?

On the other hand, I suspect that a simple plexi cover will be kind of low and need some sort of bracing to make it strong enough to not sag. Would you be able to basically make a sort of upside down box for a new lid?

44x32 is a really nice size for young torts, and I like the overall idea.

I had thought about the sagging issue, so I would definitely have to go with a thicker plexi if I went that route. Adding sides to raise it up like an upside down box would be nice if I can figure out a way. I like the plexi cover idea as it would allow the best viewing of my torts.

Edna said:
I suggest going with the red line cut. I modified the lid for a Christmas Tree storage box similarly. Leaving a flat ledge, I cut out the center of the lid. I was able to wire hail screen to cover the hole I had made. The box was taller so I was able to rest the heat lamp right on the wire.

I had planned on keeping the lights hanging above whether I use screen or plexi, as that is how they are now and I like them that way

bigred21220

5 Year Member
You could cut half way around the red then cut straight across to cut out half the dome. Then screen the opening that should allow you to view them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
bigred21220 said:
You could cut half way around the red then cut straight across to cut out half the dome. Then screen the opening that should allow you to view them.

What kind of tortoise blasphemer would want to view beautiful red-footeds through such a limited opening? ;)

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
I appreciate all e input so far. I've thrown out the idea of the blue line cut. I'm thinking either the red line cut or plexicover as I really want to be able to see them and the smaller opening would feel like I was hiding them away.
Plexiglass would be my first choice, but have to see if I can find a thick enough sheet that won't sag, and also won't cost me a fortune. If I can't find that then I'll have to cut the top and use the red line.
Any more ideas are appreciated

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
How about carefully cutting out the "sun", with a jigsaw, set with a "fine" blade, and installing 1/4" hardware cloth on the inside surface of the top...I believe, if you spay the enclosure down 1-2X a day, it'll keep the humidity right about where you want it to be, while leaving you sufficient viewing room.

And it'd look pretty snazzy too!

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
Terry Allan Hall said:
How about carefully cutting out the "sun", with a jigsaw, set with a "fine" blade, and installing 1/4" hardware cloth on the inside surface of the top...I believe, if you spay the enclosure down 1-2X a day, it'll keep the humidity right about where you want it to be, while leaving you sufficient viewing room.

When you say to install hardware cloth, I'm not sure what that is. Are you saying to cover the whole I cut with the hardware cloth? Or screen over the whole, and hardware cloth on the inside of what is left of the lid?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
LRBailey said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

When you say to install hardware cloth, I'm not sure what that is. Are you saying to cover the whole I cut with the hardware cloth? Or screen over the whole, and hardware cloth on the inside of what is left of the lid?

Hardware cloth is like a heavy duty screen, often used to make cages or fencing. My suggestion was to cover the entire underside of the sandbox's lid, after forming the hardware cloth to follow the curve of the underside.

Galvanized_Hardware_Cloth.jpg

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
Thanks for clarifying. So it is just about the same as the screening I was planning on doing if I cut the whole. This is probably what I will end up going with since plexiglass seems to be expensive. I'm running voer to the hardware store today to check it out.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
LRBailey said:
Thanks for clarifying. So it is just about the same as the screening I was planning on doing if I cut the whole. This is probably what I will end up going with since plexiglass seems to be expensive. I'm running voer to the hardware store today to check it out.

Pretty much, except it's quite a bit stronger, so your torts would be safer from your dogs or other intruders.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Great idea! I'd cut the red so you can see them and hang your equipment etc.cant wait to see the end result! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.