Brand new need help!

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So we are getting a Testudo in about a month and are I prep mode for the little guy. We are planning to make an indoor enclosure since it will be mid fall and cooling down already. We will have an outdoor garden from it come Spring. But for now I need ideas on lighting and heating in a smallish enclosure. I’m thinking about 3ftx4ft and maybe 10-12in high. I’m willing to accept ideas on sizing and even designs.

The issue I have is I have young kids so I need a fully enslosed box, we plan to have ‘screening’ on top for natural light. But I know he will still need UVB and heating. But I’m concerned about how to have a lamp in the enclosure that is small enough to fit INSIDE so my kids can’t touch it and get hurt. I wanted to do tube/strip lights but they aren’t high enough wattage to make a basking area. Would a low watt UVB with a heat rock suffice? Or do I need to look into a flood light style?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's an adult tort it needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure. You can do a tube fluorescent uvb and use a 60 watt incandescent light bulb for a basking temp of 95-100. You could actually use a 40 watt and put it closer to the substrate. Do not use heat rocks, however you can put a regular flat rock under the basking bulb to help raise the basking temp. A temp of 65 at night is fine so you really don't need night heat.

Violanna

Texas
It will be a juvenile. About 3-4 inches. And this enclosure is just for him to winter. My husband corrected me on the dimensions he is planning though his text said 10in height he meant 20in height. So I was worried for nothing!! We will have plenty of space for a quality lamp! I would still welcome any and all advice!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
It will be a juvenile. About 3-4 inches. And this enclosure is just for him to winter. My husband corrected me on the dimensions he is planning though his text said 10in height he meant 20in height. So I was worried for nothing!! We will have plenty of space for a quality lamp! I would still welcome any and all advice!

Personally I wouldn't place any tortoise of any species outside permanently for the first 2-3 years. Some people believe these 2-3 years are the most important periods of a young developing tortoise's shell and growth rates.

I suggest building at least a 5-6 x 3 ft enclosure and keep that tortoise in ideal temperature and humidity levels for another two years before you decide to permanently house the tortoise outside. Allow them short periods of outdoor time (4 hours or so) and to keep humidity levels at 70-80%.

Here is a care sheet on Greek tortoises. Disregard the sand section of this care sheet because it is known to cause eye and impaction issues in tortoises. Use coco coir and or fine grade orchid/fir bark instead.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Relic

Here
I used a plastic Christmas Tree box (53" X 21" X 14") Cut holes for ceramic heater (running off thermostat) and a slot hole for the 24" UVB fixture. Coco coir on the bottom layer, topped with cypress mulch on top. Juvi yellow foot seems content. Humidity stays in upper 80% to lower 90% range, temps from 92 under heater, to 80 on the far end. Best part about it? Wife hasn't complained yet...IMG_5078.jpg