Need to identify the tortoise specie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileMan

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I need help in identifying the specie here. I was given it by someone who has passed away since and I have no clue what I am dealing with here. It does not eat anything as well and it has been like that for a month.

Need help.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 123

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The photos are pretty fuzzy and low in detail, but that I believe that is a North American box turtle, possibly an Eastern or Carolina box turtle (Terrepena carolina).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

It is hard to tell from the pictures what species he is because your pictures are blurry and dark. We really need a shot from the top and the underneath (the plastron) to help.

As for not eating, the usual problem is temperature. Either too hot or, more likely, too cold. The other problem is that tortoises can be very slow to adapt to new surroundings and start eating properly/at all.

First off, you need to make sure this little guy isn't dehydrated. When he's not eating properly this is even more important. To do this,you should give him a soak every day.

My tips for soaking are:
1. Soak your tort first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly... he's less likely to attempt escape.
2. Soak at roughly the same time each day as it helps to establish a routine which will help your tort to settle in more quickly.
3. Use a bowl or plastic box with sides high enough to stop your tort seeing out or clambering out. A cheap washing up bowl is ideal.
4. Put enough warm (not hot) water in the box to come up over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and you're not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and enjoy!
5. Soak for a good 20 minutes
6. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water. They don't always, but if he does it is more likely to concern you than your tort. Change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't be concerned if your tort eats his poop; it's said to help with gut flora!
7. Feed your tort straight after his bath. Again it establishes routine, but also they seem to want to eat after they've soaked and toileted!

Please would you describe your table/vivarium/enclosure for him?
How big is it?
What substrate do you have? Is there any shelter or other decor?
Is there water?
What temperature is it by day and night?
Do you have a basking lamp? If so , how hot is it underneath?
Do you have a UVB lamp?
There are a lot of questions, but answering them will help us to help you as there are many common answers regardless of species.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ReptileMan:

Welcome to the Forum!!

I have a feeling you are not in the U.S. In my opinion, this is a water turtle. Put the turtle in some water and drop a wiggly worm in front of it. Enough water that he can submerge his head.

I am thinking along the lines of a roofed turtle, but the picture is too fuzzy to really give a good guess.

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know where in the world you are?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
better pictures would help.
Box turtle or water turtle.. ??
Do you know the person who passed away? did you see how it was being kept by them? is there anyone who can give you an idea if you did not see it?

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
ReptileMan said:
Hey guys,

I need help in identifying the specie here. I was given it by someone who has passed away since and I have no clue what I am dealing with here. It does not eat anything as well and it has been like that for a month.

Need help.

That is geoclemys hamiltoni. They are aquatic and very carnivorous.

ReptileMan

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I have to first of all thank you for being so supportive by coming out to help and contribute in any which way possible. Had it not been for you guys especially Laura who mailed me with the link. I had no clue up until now what I was dealing with. And the person who gave it to me told me it could stay either on land or water, but it is a tortoise. Now that kept playing at the back of my mind, hence I chose to give it a dry surrounding.

Now the first thing after getting to know that it is indeed a turtle and that too a very rare one, I chose to give it shallow water with a basking area as well.

Well I had totally forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Abhi and I am from India. That answers how the Black Pond Turtle landed in my lap ;)

I was reading ARKive to get more info and shall post more and definitely much clearer pics very soon. Now the concern is to feed it. Just to let you know guys, the Indian government has put a ban on keeping snakes and turtles/tortoise as pets. Hence it is a hush hush affair out here and we do not have any doctors for the same or live feed like worms to give. ( Does my country sound like an ancient civilization?). It sure does to me. Yes poaching and trading is a serious threat here but banning has not helped the situation .

Anyway I shall try giving it some dried worms and see if it starts eating. It has been a month since it ate and I just hope it does not affect its future growth.

Again, thanks a million to all my mates here. I love you guys :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Can you get live fish? like minnows? or dig up worms from the ground?
I sent you the link that was listed here as well. I didnt know if you would be back soon, so I wanted to be sure you got the info.
Good luck and keep us updated!

ReptileMan

5 Year Member
Yes I can get live fish...what else other than minnows? Ill go and have a look.

Ill surely keep all of you posted. Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
snails slugs worms

ReptileMan

5 Year Member
Hi guys its been more than 3 months since I came in. Sorry but was held up with switching residence and other stuff.

Well I have loads to share. First of all the Hamiltonii that made me start the thread in the first place is doing great :) He is very active and doing well in his new aquarium. And I am so acutely hooked on to this beautiful specie that I ended up getting 3 more for myself :D

Yes I have 4 hamiltonii's now and will soon post their pics here. I am also going to go for a much bigger tank than the one they are in for now. As for food they eat shrimp pellets which is their favorite with occasional love feed of guppies, mollies etc. I tried veggies too but they like it at all. Maybe once they grow older they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.