Need to Rehome my Sulcata Torti in SW Florida.

circledminiranch

Location (City and/or State)
Panama City
We moved here from South FL to North Fl and the weather over the winter is to cold for her to enjoy our yard. She is 6 years old and her health is perfect with beautiful Scoots. Please message me if you are interested and we will discuss all terms and conditions. Just FYI, We love her very much and will only release her to a more loving home than she is in at the moment.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
We moved here from South FL to North Fl and the weather over the winter is to cold for her to enjoy our yard. She is 6 years old and her health is perfect with beautiful Scoots. Please message me if you are interested and we will discuss all terms and conditions. Just FYI, We love her very much and will only release her to a more loving home than she is in at the moment.
How are you going to know when you talk to someone who has a loving home?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you rehoming or selling?
Tortoises are kept in many different states that is much colder than any place in Florida. You need to build her a insulated heated night box or shed if you truly want to keep her.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

We have a lot of people on this board who have Sulcatas all over the country. You can read threads here on housing and create a nightbox and keeping there should be pretty simple, comparatively...

so long as you can give her the space she needs and a night box you should be OK climate-wise. I can't speak to the environment of your yard specifically, but in general N Florida should be fine given where a lot of other members here live successfully with them.

circledminiranch

Panama City
We have a lot of people on this board who have Sulcatas all over the country. You can read threads here on housing and create a nightbox and keeping there should be pretty simple, comparatively...

so long as you can give her the space she needs and a night box you should be OK climate-wise. I can't speak to the environment of your yard specifically, but in general N Florida should be fine given where a lot of other members here live successfully with them.
I would love to keep her, she has become like one of the children. I would not know where to start building her an enclosure. Our yard is sand, humidity and sun during the summer with near drought conditions. The winter so far has been wet and cold. Being sulcatas enjoy burrows, I'm not sure I can secure her so she doesn't get into the busy highway next to our house. Suggestions are welcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would love to keep her, she has become like one of the children. I would not know where to start building her an enclosure. Our yard is sand, humidity and sun during the summer with near drought conditions. The winter so far has been wet and cold. Being sulcatas enjoy burrows, I'm not sure I can secure her so she doesn't get into the busy highway next to our house. Suggestions are welcome.
Make an enclosure out of plywood with posts in the ground or with cinder blocks or slumpstone blocks. Use four rows of blocks and start rows 2 and 4 with half blocks to off set them and make the whole wall stronger.

Then make a box like one of these for nights and the odd cold winter day:

With a night box like this, it is plenty warm where you are to keep your tortoise. They do not dig out of their pens. When they dig, they just dig down at a 30-40 degree angle and then use that tunnel to go up and down. They don't dog down at one angle and then back up at some other angle. Many of them don't dig at all. A burrow is a great way for them to escape the summer heat, but then you have to block off the entrance in fall and make them sleep in their heated night box over winter.

Drought conditions in FL? These guys come from an arid region that has a 3-4 month rainy season. They thrive in the SoCal desert or in AZ. It will not be too dry where you are in FL.

You can keep your tortoise if you want to and give it a great life.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. So why not just do what you have been encouraged to do, and keep your tortoise, especially since she is "one of the children"!?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know why but in this thread I don't have an attache files button...
You can't post pictures in the "Adoptions" section for some reason. Its the only one that won't let you post pics.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You can't post pictures in the "Adoptions" section for some reason. Its the only one that won't let you post pics.
This seems strange...I would think that the Adoptions Section would be the first one to allow posting of pictures!?

Millebz

TX
Hey may I ask how big she is at the moment. I am making sure I have the proper accommodations for her right now. I am building and expanding a full habitat but at the moment she would have our fenced in yard and a heated room downstairs. I just don’t want to cramp a larger tortoise or make her feel closed in for a few weeks. The yard is 24x30’ and the downstairs would have to be a smaller boxed in area till I finish her room.