Nervous first time mom

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth
Howdy,

I recently adopted a red foot hatchling, this past Sunday. I have some things that I would like to get some opinions on, to make sure that I give this little fellow a fighting chance.
Edwards enclosure consists of cypress mulch, and coconut fiber mixed together. He has a little “cave” —looks like a hollowed our tree trunk. I put moss inside and soak the moss a bit before i leave for the day. I also switch the UVB light on (I keep it on for an average of 7 hours a day)
After I switch the uvb light on, I spray his enclosure with water and I make sure that the hot side is moist. I always leave him with water and a small snack. I have been changing out both the water and food bowl once before bed and then again when I wake up. I always leave him fresh water, as it evaporates over time.
When I turn the UVB light off, I turn on the ceramic heating lamp for night time. I have thermometers and a humidity reader. When the uvb light is on the temp is close to 90 degrees and when it is off it is closer to 80 degrees. I am concerned because today he was in his cave all day while I was at work. (I watch him on camera) and he didn’t step out to soak once, not until after I took him out for a soak once I got home.

How often should little red foot hatchlings be inside their burrows? Should I bring him out under the uvb lamp or should I just allow him to hide as he pleases? Do I need to do something else to add extra humidity? Thank you in advance and sorry for the lengthy post.

Attachments

• EF62046B-9CC1-4062-9FA7-F1314A1EEDDA.jpeg
    EF62046B-9CC1-4062-9FA7-F1314A1EEDDA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Baby tortoises are food to everything that is bigger than them. They hide a lot in the beginning but they soon warm up as long as your tortoise is eating let it hide, just keep soaking.