Nesting

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Ok so I need advice. I came home to the female I rescued that had been painted and she is digging a nest, it's in the enclosure with all my other 3 toed turtles. Should I leave them in for the ground to incubate or remove them and put them in one of my heated indoor enclosures. I don't have any vermiculite so would spangum moss work?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433900405.484208.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
More babies on the way, maybe.
Crikey!.
Can't help, I'm afraid, well out of my area, but good luck!

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I would incubate them just to be safe. You can use sphagnum moss, but watch out for mold. Looking forward to some updates on your eggs!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Oh man, let the new thread begin. Lets see if we can keep it going till they hatch! Glad to see good things happen to good people. Congrats!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Oh man, let the new thread begin. Lets see if we can keep it going till they hatch! Glad to see good things happen to good people. Congrats!

Thanks for the kind words Eric! It's different this time because it's not a surprise like finding the last group. My boy had a high school baseball game tonight and when we got home I was making my rounds to catch her. We got a small pool party going on outside but that's not phasing her, she is digging away. Hope the new additions are doing great!

Kory

New Orleans, Louisiana
Ha I am in the same boat tonight! Caught one of my Gulf Coast girls nesting tonight. She laid 4 in the hole and Im debating on whether Im gonna let this clutch stay in the ground to give that a try or bring them in to the incubator as well.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
She laid 3. I've put them in an old enclosure that stays 82 and high humidity 80ish. Covered with a damp paper towel. Any other suggestions?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433909880.068155.jpg

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yeah, they are doing well. Its been fun getting to know them each new day. You know she's nesting on purpose, she likes her new home and doesn't want to leave:) If your having adult beverages, drink one for me:)

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ha I am in the same boat tonight! Caught one of my Gulf Coast girls nesting tonight. She laid 4 in the hole and Im debating on whether Im gonna let this clutch stay in the ground to give that a try or bring them in to the incubator as well.

My bet is I have some others in the ground. I can't believe how well she covered the hole. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't of caught her.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yeah, they are doing well. Its been fun getting to know them each new day. You know she's nesting on purpose, she likes her new home and doesn't want to leave:) If your having adult beverages, drink one for me:)
Got ya covered!!;)

Kory

New Orleans, Louisiana
Im pretty sure I have some others in the ground I don't know about. Of my 3 adult females I have caught the same girl laying two clutches and nothing from the other two, so I think that I just didn't catch them laying. And the 3-toed girl I caught laying once.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Im pretty sure I have some others in the ground I don't know about. Of my 3 adult females I have caught the same girl laying two clutches and nothing from the other two, so I think that I just didn't catch them laying. And the 3-toed girl I caught laying once.

Earlier I weighted my biggest female 3 toed and my Ornate female and both lost around 30 grams from last week, I can only guess they both put a clutch in the ground, I sure hope my Ornate did. They both have been eating so I don't think it could be anything else.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
How's the eggs? Did you find your ornates nest yet? Hope all is well.