New African Sulcata 2 years old

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
These are the HD ones

MandyV

Houston, Texas
Oh to many choices 😂. I have the grove in cart do I need 2 of those? And are all the attachments options for different ones or I need them also? Sorry I’m at the end of the road just want to be clear

MandyV

Houston, Texas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is great information, I have a fenced in back yard with wood. If she wont dig out and escape why does she need the bottom in the enclosure? My back yard is pretty big does she need a seperate enclosure if she could have the whole yard. Maybe I am not understanding clearly lol.
I don't put "bottoms" in any of my enclosures. I just use whatever native dirt is there.

For a six inch tortoise, I would use a smaller enclosure of around 30x30, or whatever similar size fits into a convenient area in your yard. Make sure it is all escape proof and there are no gaps and no visible light under the fence. You may have to add dirt, or set pavers there in low spots. If they can see under, they can usually push their way through. The whole yard is fine when they are bigger, and as long as the whole yard is a tortoise enclosure and not a backyard that is used for barbecues, family parties, dogs, and other such "normal" backyard things.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh to many choices 😂. I have the grove in cart do I need 2 of those? And are all the attachments options for different ones or I need them also? Sorry I’m at the end of the road just want to be clear
I think double check how many sensors come with it, I’d personally want at least two, but if you have just the one for now, put it in the middle👍 then you can do your back up temp checks with the gun in the rest of the enclosure like under the bulbs😊

MandyV

Houston, Texas
I think double check how many sensors come with it, I’d personally want at least two, but if you have just the one for now, put it in the middle👍 then you can do your back up temp checks with the gun in the rest of the enclosure like under the bulbs😊
I’ll just get two to be safe. I think That’s everything if I’m not mistaken!

Megatron's Mom

The Govee is just to monitor what is going g on heat and humidity wise. You can use the app to track day by day. That is helpful too.

For the thermostat you would plug your che into it. Set the temperature to what you want it at. Usually 80 and then move the probe as far away as possible. That way the whole enclosure will never be below 80.

Once you get everything set it up and play with the placements of the Che. The uvb and basking light you want to place them together to create a hotter spot. Like when the sun shines down.

Don't worry about all the information overload. You're grasping everything pretty quick.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If using the greenhouse frame to hang your lighting instead of making stands, I’d try and get your hands on some hanging chain from the hardware store, I think they sell it on rolls, just so they dont hang solely by the wire👍

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Sorry I should’ve said that in my first response when mentioning using the frame to hang, I need to start adding that into the advice lol. I think it’s pretty cheap though🙂

MandyV

Houston, Texas
The Govee is just to monitor what is going g on heat and humidity wise. You can use the app to track day by day. That is helpful too.

For the thermostat you would plug your che into it. Set the temperature to what you want it at. Usually 80 and then move the probe as far away as possible. That way the whole enclosure will never be below 80.

Once you get everything set it up and play with the placements of the Che. The uvb and basking light you want to place them together to create a hotter spot. Like when the sun shines down.

Don't worry about all the information overload. You're grasping everything pretty quick.
Ok I lost me so I do still need a separate thermostat? I have 2 groves Ava 2 timers as of now. Did you already send attachments of the thermostat I need?

MandyV

Houston, Texas
Sorry I should’ve said that in my first response when mentioning using the frame to hang, I need to start adding that into the advice lol. I think it’s pretty cheap though🙂
Do you have an attachment of that one? I’m not the most crafty and my husband isn’t either so we will need to buy it lol

Megatron's Mom

Ok I lost me so I do still need a separate thermostat? I have 2 groves Ava 2 timers as of now. Did you already send attachments of the thermostat I need?
Yes that first link I posted was for a thermostat. Timers are great for turning on the uvb and basking lights. But the che you will want them on a thermostat to turn them off and on as needed. This way when it hits your max high temp it will turn off. When it hits the lowest set temp it turns on. It won't control the day lights just the extra heat needed. At night when the lights turn off your Che keeps heating. No light just heat that's what the thermostat is for. Saves you tons of worry too.

MandyV

Houston, Texas
Yes that first link I posted was for a thermostat. Timers are great for turning on the uvb and basking lights. But the che you will want them on a thermostat to turn them off and on as needed. This way when it hits your max high temp it will turn off. When it hits the lowest set temp it turns on. It won't control the day lights just the extra heat needed. At night when the lights turn off your Che keeps heating. No light just heat that's what the thermostat is for. Saves you tons of worry too.
That exact link said it was unavailable can you look at my attachments And tell me are any of these options good? Or am I completely off one is the same brand and looks the same but I’m not completely sure. And how many of these do I need?

Attachments

• IMG_1163.png
    IMG_1163.png
    364.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1162.png
    IMG_1162.png
    211.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1161.png
    IMG_1161.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 0

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The two govees are your monitors that measure the temperature and humidity so you know what the levels in the enclosure are.

The thermostat is what the CHE(s) will be plugged into👍
Do you have an attachment of that one? I’m not the most crafty and my husband isn’t either so we will need to buy it lol
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BHLK9FC1/?tag=

3meters should do you, you’ll probably have leftover👍