• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We have just added another male aldabra to our breeding program and it looks very possible that we are going to get two additional female aldabras very soon. Well, we are growing our breeding group and it is time to make some housing changes. My question is this, would you opt to have two shade/heat barns at 14x20 or just one at 14x40. Please write your reasoning for either option or if you have any other suggestions please feel free to post. Thanks to everyone in advance that participates in this poll/thread.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it depends on how the ones you have act now. If I remember correctly. You had two sheds and added a another one to make three after the new male member was added. If I am correct and you have three sheds now, then this is what I would consider. How do they use the sheds you have now. Do they all try to cram into the same shed. Do certain ones seem to want more space and try to go alone. If they all seem to want to be together and you don't have the problems of the males tormenting the females all the time and your males all get along, then I would go with one big shed. Would look more pleasing I think, then a bunch of littler ones. Also, less electric to run, probably easier to heat one then more then one. Just my opinion. Hope you get the other females. I know you won't, but going to remind you anyway. Pics please.:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Greg, I would go with two additional barns....this would allow a women's retreat for when the men are acting dumb and pestering too much :D:D or vice versa for that matter.... :rolleyes:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
I think it depends on how the ones you have act now. If I remember correctly. You had two sheds and added a another one to make three after the new male member was added. If I am correct and you have three sheds now, then this is what I would consider. How do they use the sheds you have now. Do they all try to cram into the same shed. Do certain ones seem to want more space and try to go alone. If they all seem to want to be together and you don't have the problems of the males tormenting the females all the time and your males all get along, then I would go with one big shed. Would look more pleasing I think, then a bunch of littler ones. Also, less electric to run, probably easier to heat one then more then one. Just my opinion. Hope you get the other females. I know you won't, but going to remind you anyway. Pics please.:D

With our current 4.7 the three current barns are just fine as far as room, however, the problem is that Alpha gets in the doorways and no one else can get in or out. Also, with adding two additional 200 pound females, i think it is time to just go bigger for many reasons. Either on big 14 x 40 barn or two 14 x 20 barns with at least two six foot wide doors on both ends for better entrance and exit for the torotises. The current three barns will be taken down once the new construction is underway.

1zow7j9.jpg

ascott said:
Greg, I would go with two additional barns....this would allow a women's retreat for when the men are acting dumb and pestering too much :D:D or vice versa for that matter.... :rolleyes:

Good point!

ac9r4.jpg

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Like the idea Of two barns like asscott mentioned to separate them need be..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would go with 2 barns, just because you build one does not mean they all will want to use it, you know those finicky aldabs and how they are.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about one barn.separated across the middle with a wall either half way up or floor to ceiling. Then put a door on each end. If you want two entrances, put a door on both ends and then another door facing the pasture on each half. You will get the nicer look of one big barn, but the use of two.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
How about one barn.separated across the middle with a wall either half way up or floor to ceiling. Then put a door on each end. If you want two entrances, put a door on both ends and then another door facing the pasture on each half. You will get the nicer look of one big barn, but the use of two.

:) [/color][/b]That is a great idea! I like that a lot!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
wellington said:
I like that idea too :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's what I like. A big one with a separation wall. I currently have a building that's 12x20 and it's very small once you get them all in there. I say go with a big one and utilize a two door on either side aspect. As well as a small corner in one side of the barn with a fences area for the wee ones to go in and out as well. And possibly an incubator hatchery room somewhere in there. It makes it so much easier having everything in one location.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I do like the idea about the big barn with a separation wall, just makes a lot of sense and you do away with extra barn taking up space.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Greg please don't think I am trying to be morbid...I use to sell insurance so sometimes that underwriter side of me pops back up....

I know you adore your tort groups...and with the species you have I know you have a few pennies invested as well as any returns on your investment side of keeping...I always remember the term...don't out all your eggs in one basket....I would imagine a few separate structures would help in not a large loss in the event of a heating element malfunction...I mean the structures are wood and have hay as bedding along with extremely hot heating bulbs/elements....I mean you may have a back up plan to install automatic sprinkler system designed into the building structure in the event of a flash fire if you do go with one large structure...?????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to opt for the one barn with separation until I read Angela's post. It would be cheaper to build one big barn. I guess this is one of those eeny meeny miney moe decisions.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Bro go with the 2 barns, if you dont get those two females now then you'll more than likely get a few more from another source sometime in the future. Better to be prepared, thts what I would do anyway.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
ascott said:
Greg please don't think I am trying to be morbid...I use to sell insurance so sometimes that underwriter side of me pops back up....

I know you adore your tort groups...and with the species you have I know you have a few pennies invested as well as any returns on your investment side of keeping...I always remember the term...don't out all your eggs in one basket....I would imagine a few separate structures would help in not a large loss in the event of a heating element malfunction...I mean the structures are wood and have hay as bedding along with extremely hot heating bulbs/elements....I mean you may have a back up plan to install automatic sprinkler system designed into the building structure in the event of a flash fire if you do go with one large structure...?????

:tort: Thank you, you have a very valid perspective.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thank you all for your participation and thoughts. We have decided to go with one barn 14 X 42. I met with my general contractor tonight and signed a contract. Waiting for permits, this county is hard to deal with when it comes to matters with any permitting, for sure a PITA!

Special thanks to Wellington for her thoughts regarding the seperation/divider concept.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ALDABRAMAN said:
Thank you all for your participation and thoughts. We have decided to go with one barn 14 X 42. I met with my general contractor tonight and signed a contract. Waiting for permits, this county is hard to deal with when it comes to matters with any permitting, for sure a PITA!

Permits? Who does permits? Well I guess if you are getting a contractor, you probably had too. You look pretty hidden there, I would have slipped him some green and done without permits.:p:D. Keep us posted as things go along. Are you going to separate it into two sides or one big barn?

Status
Not open for further replies.