New and clueless

Davidson

Alright! Finally hit a solid 88/80. Excellent. Now I need to figure out a way to properly seal around the glass side. I think I'm losing heat and humidity through it.

When I get plants and driftwood in there it should hold the heat and humidity better too right?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Alright! Finally hit a solid 88/80. Excellent. Now I need to figure out a way to properly seal around the glass side. I think I'm losing heat and humidity through it.

When I get plants and driftwood in there it should hold the heat and humidity better too right?
That's right. Less cubic mass of air per wattage of heat as you add deco.
So in effect its not been a sealed enclosure all this time :confused: .

Davidson

Well it's as closed as it can be seeing as I'm using a glass aquarium lid on the left side. But something has to be escaping.

Davidson

So the temps and humidity are pretty stable now. I've picked up decorations and I have driftwood and all the substrate except the orchid bark. I absolutely can't find it. Is there another substitute I could use? Fine cypress mulch? It's the last thing I need to do a complete overhaul on raphs habitat, thanx in advance!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So the temps and humidity are pretty stable now. I've picked up decorations and I have driftwood and all the substrate except the orchid bark. I absolutely can't find it. Is there another substitute I could use? Fine cypress mulch? It's the last thing I need to do a complete overhaul on raphs habitat, thanx in advance!
Cypress mulch is good too. I use that.

Davidson

I'm using coco coir as a base, then spagnum on half of the coir and the other half is either coco husk or cypress mulch. I just have limited selection where I live

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm using coco coir as a base, then spagnum on half of the coir and the other half is either coco husk or cypress mulch. I just have limited selection where I live
Sorry David. I did answer earlier, for some reason it didn't post. I would use cypress mulch. Although I have used the husk before, it just seemed to break down quick and end up like coco coir.

Davidson

Sorry David. I did answer earlier, for some reason it didn't post. I would use cypress mulch. Although I have used the husk before, it just seemed to break down quick and end up like coco coir.
Ok thanx! I have the coco coir and moss down and am in the process of creating a penthouse suite for raph. Just need to secure the ramp and put some fencing up so he doesn't topple off. Since he likes climbing so much

20160128_183623.jpg 20160128_181223.jpg

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Ok thanx! I have the coco coir and moss down and am in the process of creating a penthouse suite for raph. Just need to secure the ramp and put some fencing up so he doesn't topple off. Since he likes climbing so much

View attachment 163757 View attachment 163758
Is the enclosure like a display one? If he starts trying to get pass the glass, you would probably want it not see through so that he won't stress himself out trying to get through that "invisible barrier".

Davidson

Is the enclosure like a display one? If he starts trying to get pass the glass, you would probably want it not see through so that he won't stress himself out trying to get through that "invisible barrier".
It's an aquarium. He's used to the glass, only bumps up against it when he wants food, clean water or a bath.

But I have a 3d background running around the sides and back and I plan on putting fake plants suction cupped to the front part you can see above the wood.

He's much less messy without the peat moss. I see why you guys use coco coir! Even wet it doesn't stick to Raph.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey guys, sorry been way too busy! Crazy snow storms here the last week.

That's quite different from most opinions Pearly! Very informative thanx for the read

Ok Anyfoot, so I put an 8.5" dome in to replace my 5.5" one. I put it under the piece of wood instead of level with the top. And I put a 100w CHE in so that should be stabilized by morning. I've got my probe 4" off the substrate level and my temperature controller is set to 90 Fahrenheit.

I can't keep my humidity up above 78% without my fogger so that's got to be hooked back up asap.
Yes, it maybe different from the most, but to me what counts is WHAT WORKS UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. I've heard of thermostat failures and little critters literally cooking alive. What I do, and what I use has proven to work for me and my animals so far. I really don't like to get too technical, it's outside of my comfort zone. What's within that comfort zone, is really simple! It is nurturing, feeding good food, keeping them warm and safe and loved. Just like I do with my human babies and youngsters. Your baby tort looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to your posts on your updates

Davidson

Yes, it maybe different from the most, but to me what counts is WHAT WORKS UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. I've heard of thermostat failures and little critters literally cooking alive. What I do, and what I use has proven to work for me and my animals so far. I really don't like to get too technical, it's outside of my comfort zone. What's within that comfort zone, is really simple! It is nurturing, feeding good food, keeping them warm and safe and loved. Just like I do with my human babies and youngsters. Your baby tort looks beautiful. I'm looking forward to your posts on your updates

He's really enjoying the new spot! He doesn't even burrow anymore since I put the thick layer of moss in. Here's a few more

20160129_121212.jpg 20160127_193604.jpg

Is the lazy legs normal?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Awesome! Seems since I regulated the heat he's been lazy haha

How old would you guys say Raph is? His shell is 5" long
Glad you got it all sorted, seems he's more relaxed now, as for the age, its impossible to age your tort, I'll guess between 12 and 36 months. Do you know if the last owner forced soaked this tort?