New and loving it

Wyatt

So about two years ago I started taking interest in sulcata tortoises after meeting a 5 year old pretty big female. So I started my research and began the long road of studying and research to ensure I would give my first pair of tortoises the best life possible. About a week ago I pulled the trigger and after a very frustrating day dealing with fedex my newest members to the family arrived 7 hours late :mad:. Fred and Wilma have been doing great eating well and enjoying their new home. Any tips for a new member would be appreciated. And any advise or tips about my enclosure. Thanks WyattIMG_0268.JPGIMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPGIMG_0271.JPG

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Last edited by a moderator:

Wyatt

That shouldn't be an issue replicating the enclosure. What's the reasoning behind keeping them separate and should I take them outside at different times as well?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That shouldn't be an issue replicating the enclosure. What's the reasoning behind keeping them separate and should I take them outside at different times as well?
One will bully the other, it could lead to illness or even death. They are solitary creatures and do not need or want company

That enclosure is too open and you will not be able to maintain the heat and humidity needed to raise a smooth and healthy tortoise in that. please read those links and I will tag the gentleman who wrote them

@Tom

Wyatt

One will bully the other, it could lead to illness or even death. They are solitary creatures and do not need or want company

That enclosure is to open and you will not be able to maintain the heat and humidity needed to raise a smooth and healthy tortoise in that open top enclosure, please read those links and I will tag the gentleman who wrote them

Temp has been maintaining fine enclosure is in private room with its own thermostat, constant 80 degrees humidity 70%-80% while directly under basking being 100-103, humidity has been holding fine as well I've been misting enclosure 3-4 times daily. Have also been soaking for about 10 mins

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That's good! With that you should be able to stop the early pyramiding and the new growth should come in smooth.

Wyatt

That's good! With that you should be able to stop the early pyramiding and the new growth should come in smooth.

Should I alter anything in the second enclosure and consider closed chamber?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Should I alter anything in the second enclosure and consider closed chamber?
I keep all my young torts in closed chamber. It woks great, I never have to spray or mist the enclosure. I dump the water bowls in it and once a week I may pour a glass of water in the corner. Humidity always stays 80 plus.

Your open top looks Great, I just prefer closed as most do on the site

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Wyatt.

I'm glad you are loving it and I don't want to take away from that, but I feel obligated to fill you in on a few things.

The care info for this species is based on incorrect assumptions about how this species lives in the wild. It is wrong and its been repeated by "experts", breeders, vets and books for 30 years. It is NOT a desert species and desert conditions are not good for them especially when they are babies. Countless thousands of them die every year because of this misinformation.

So when someone says the did "research", chances are very good that they've been reading the old incorrect info. In your case, there is a mix of good and bad info going on there. I'll hit the things that need to change first:
1. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. Especially not sulcatas. Its too personal, and its very stressful on both of them.
2. Open tables are not suitable for this species unless the whole room is kept warm and humid 24/7, like in the case of some reptile rooms. There is not way to contain the heat and humidity with an open table.
3. Is that a CHE in the fixture that is high up over the middle? If yes, does it keep ambient in the whole table at 80 or above 24/7?

Here's the good stuff:
1. Your substrate is good stuff.
2. Water bowl is perfect.
3. The UV tube is excellent.
4. That is a perfect humid hide.

Your babies have had a very dry start. They are already pyramiding significantly. If you move them into the correct conditions for this species ASAP you can halt it, and the new growth will eventually begin to come in at a smoother angle.

I know it sucks to be told you are doing "everything all wrong", as some new members have phrased it, but if we don't let you know, how can you fix it? Every day that goes by with those dry conditions will leave your babies ever more pyramided. It can't be reversed, so I try to help people stop the pyramiding as quickly as I can.

Here are a couple more threads:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Wyatt

Hello and welcome Wyatt.

I'm glad you are loving it and I don't want to take away from that, but I feel obligated to fill you in on a few things.

The care info for this species is based on incorrect assumptions about how this species lives in the wild. It is wrong and its been repeated by "experts", breeders, vets and books for 30 years. It is NOT a desert species and desert conditions are not good for them especially when they are babies. Countless thousands of them die every year because of this misinformation.

So when someone says the did "research", chances are very good that they've been reading the old incorrect info. In your case, there is a mix of good and bad info going on there. I'll hit the things that need to change first:
1. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. Especially not sulcatas. Its too personal, and its very stressful on both of them.
2. Open tables are not suitable for this species unless the whole room is kept warm and humid 24/7, like in the case of some reptile rooms. There is not way to contain the heat and humidity with an open table.
3. Is that a CHE in the fixture that is high up over the middle? If yes, does it keep ambient in the whole table at 80 or above 24/7?

Here's the good stuff:
1. Your substrate is good stuff.
2. Water bowl is perfect.
3. The UV tube is excellent.
4. That is a perfect humid hide.

Your babies have had a very dry start. They are already pyramiding significantly. If you move them into the correct conditions for this species ASAP you can halt it, and the new growth will eventually begin to come in at a smoother angle.

I know it sucks to be told you are doing "everything all wrong", as some new members have phrased it, but if we don't let you know, how can you fix it? Every day that goes by with those dry conditions will leave your babies ever more pyramided. It can't be reversed, so I try to help people stop the pyramiding as quickly as I can.

Here are a couple more threads:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Every ounce of info you guys give me will be helpful and I appreciate all of it. Yes the higher dome is a CHE set to reptile thermostat set to 80 table temp stays around 80 plus at all times