New and struggling with humidity

Mandy

Hi all. I have a cherry head tortoise that is about 3" in size. I just built him this new 5' by 2' plexiglass enclosure. I know there is some controversy about them running into the walls, but so far so good and prior I had him in a 40 breeder and never seemed to have any trouble.

As you can see, there is a green house section of the enclosure and an open section. I'm trying to get the humidity up in the greenhouse section. I've always struggled with humidity for him and it upsets me because I did so much research and reading before getting him and it's just been more of a struggle than I thought :( I just want him to grow into a healthy tort. The most bottom layer of the green house has clay balls. It's about two inches thick and has water. There is a pump in there as well to move the water so it doesn't become anoxic. On top of that I have a screen to keep the organic soil from falling in. There is a good inch or more of organic soil, then a peat moss and then sphagnum moss on top. I have a few live plants in there as you can see and the bulbs running on top are two 5.0 t5 ho bulbs. I am also running a mercury bulb on the open side for him to bask in. There is a water dish in the green house and on the dry side. I put a seedling pad underneath the outside of the enclosure on the green house side, but it is only 19 watts I believe and I can feel it is not warm to the top layer. However, there appears to be some condensation on the screen layer and a little bit up to the top layer but not as much as I would like. The top is completely covered, minus less than an inch crack between each side of the light and his door opening, which I slit a bag up and taped over to hopefully help keep in humidity.

So, with that being said, what can I do to make the humidity as high as he needs it? And the area warm? I was looking into the heat ropes everyone has been talking about here. Would the 25 watt one be adequate if it is in the organic soil layer of the green house? Or should I look into adding another dome somehow with a CHE or some other bulb? The vapor bulb turns off at night, but I feel in order to keep him warm, whatever goes in the green house should almost run all day.

I know I need to make him a couple more hides in the green house, which I plan to do with a broken pot.
IMG_0406.JPG

Mandy

Also one more thing. I am unsure of the current humidity. I was going to go out and purchase a hygrometer today.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would do a CHE on a,thermostat. This way you can set the temp and know it won't get too cold or too hot. You could also cut some pieces of rubber flooring lining, like this http://t.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home...ice-Length-Roll-Runner-MT5310004US/202280465/. It also comes on a roll that you can buy as much as you need. Cut them into strips, over lap them a little and attach them to the opening of the greenhouse section. He will still be able to go in and out easily once he realizes he can, yet it will help to hold in the heat and humidity. This is what a lot of us do for the opening of our torts outside sheds doors. It helps to keep the heat in and the cold and wind out while the torts doors are open.

Mandy

I would do a CHE on a,thermostat. This way you can set the temp and know it won't get too cold or too hot. You could also cut some pieces of rubber flooring lining, like this http://t.homedepot.com/p/Multy-Home...ice-Length-Roll-Runner-MT5310004US/202280465/. It also comes on a roll that you can buy as much as you need. Cut them into strips, over lap them a little and attach them to the opening of the greenhouse section. He will still be able to go in and out easily once he realizes he can, yet it will help to hold in the heat and humidity. This is what a lot of us do for the opening of our torts outside sheds doors. It helps to keep the heat in and the cold and wind out while the torts doors are open.

Thank you for your input! What CHE wattage do you think I should use? I have a 100 watt one in the basement right now. And is there a cheaper but reliable thermostat you would recommend?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Mandy welcome to the TFO from AZ . It looks your getting plenty of help .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Well I want it to be functional.... so I won't be able to maintain humidity?
You misinterpreted his statement, my friend. He meant that the plexiglass is functional & more beautiful, but he only wants it to be functional (without the beauty- just functional) because of a higher costs & other reasons :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I want it to be functional.... so I won't be able to maintain humidity?

Not with a wide open top and wide open door in a room that is not at the humidity you wish to achieve. Physics dictates that your warm moist air will want to equalize with the surrounding air cool dry air. Sorry.

Close it in so the room air and your enclosure air can't mix and your problems will be solved.

Mandy

You misinterpreted his statement, my friend. He meant that the plexiglass is functional & more beautiful, but he only wants it to be functional (without the beauty- just functional) because of a higher costs & other reasons :D

Yes I know :( I just thought this would work, but it isn't and I don't know what to do with what I have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What if I somehow was able to construct some kind of wood canopy over the entire thing and fasten my lights like you did on the inside. Would that work?

If you reduce the amount of air exchange between the enclosure air and the room air, it will work. It doesn't need to be air tight. You just need to greatly reduce the rate of air flow.

Mandy

If you reduce the amount of air exchange between the enclosure air and the room air, it will work. It doesn't need to be air tight. You just need to greatly reduce the rate of air flow.

How would you suggest doing that?

Mandy

And just for clarification, the only area I'm trying to keep humid is the taller section. Not the entire thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How would you suggest doing that?

Build a closed chamber like in the thread I linked. But you can build it from plexi and make it look much nicer than my ugly plywood garage enclosures.

Mandy

Build a closed chamber like in the thread I linked. But you can build it from plexi and make it look much nicer than my ugly plywood garage enclosures.

The entire thing closed? I mean, the area I'm trying to keep humid has covers. The taller section.