New Baby FL Box Turtles!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Here are five of my recent Fl box turtle hatchlings. I decided not to do the water method for these, since I really love the idea of making a forest floor style enclosure for them and I feel like it is very naturalistic, allowing them to hunt for all the insects like they would do in the wild. Isopods, small roaches, mealworms, and snails are thriving in the vivarium. Enjoy the pics!

IMG_3219.JPG IMG_3217.JPGIMG_3196.JPGIMG_3201.jpgIMG_3227.JPG

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How many turtles do you have? I have a desert box turtle.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Are you going to breed them?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I'm jealous. I have three males and can't find any females
I'm going to keep a few and see what sex they are, I am curious to see what they will be but I know it takes time. I had half in the incubator at around 81 degrees, and half outside in a shaded porch area. Some were on moist vermiculite, some on moist sandy Fl soil. All hatched at the exact same time! Around 60 days they started hatching.

gia474

Massachusetts
Your setup is beautiful!! I have a new Three Toed hatchling and I made a very similar setup for the same reason (love making natural bioactive terrariums) but he primarily stays buried a few inches down and I have to tear up my terrarium to find him after awhile when I start to get nervous. Do yours do this? Temperature is usually around 78F and drops down to 73F at night, humidity is always high usually on average 80%. I’m thinking of switching back to the water method that I did when he was 1-2 weeks old (he’s about one month old now) because he suddenly has no interest in food (I’ve been feeding him out of setup while it gets more established with buggies) so I’d like to be able to easily keep a closer eye on him. Any opinion? And how have yours been behaving? I know they are different species but since they’re hatchlings too I’m curious! Thanks for any input!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Your setup is beautiful!! I have a new Three Toed hatchling and I made a very similar setup for the same reason (love making natural bioactive terrariums) but he primarily stays buried a few inches down and I have to tear up my terrarium to find him after awhile when I start to get nervous. Do yours do this? Temperature is usually around 78F and drops down to 73F at night, humidity is always high usually on average 80%. I’m thinking of switching back to the water method that I did when he was 1-2 weeks old (he’s about one month old now) because he suddenly has no interest in food (I’ve been feeding him out of setup while it gets more established with buggies) so I’d like to be able to easily keep a closer eye on him. Any opinion? And how have yours been behaving? I know they are different species but since they’re hatchlings too I’m curious! Thanks for any input!
We have pretty much the exact same situation! My temps are similar except at night it stays around 78, my humidity is very high too. Mine have been buried pretty much since I put them in here around 5 days ago. Only one has moved around and it was just one day for a little bit, then it went back to being buried. I haven't been worried because they hatched within the last two weeks so I assumed they would come out when they are ready and would start being more active soon. Now that you mention that, however, I am curious if they will stay like this. While they do have insects they can find in the tank, it isn't the same as being fed regularly. Thanks for your input, I will update you if they suddenly start coming out more. But yeah, I have pretty much no activity from mine right now and they have just been buried continuously. They haven't eaten yet from what I know.

gia474

Massachusetts
We have pretty much the exact same situation! My temps are similar except at night it stays around 78, my humidity is very high too. Mine have been buried pretty much since I put them in here around 5 days ago. Only one has moved around and it was just one day for a little bit, then it went back to being buried. I haven't been worried because they hatched within the last two weeks so I assumed they would come out when they are ready and would start being more active soon. Now that you mention that, however, I am curious if they will stay like this. While they do have insects they can find in the tank, it isn't the same as being fed regularly. Thanks for your input, I will update you if they suddenly start coming out more. But yeah, I have pretty much no activity from mine right now and they have just been buried continuously. They haven't eaten yet from what I know.
Kind of reassuring it isn’t just mine! I know that it’s normal behavior for them to stay buried a lot, I guess I just assumed at least a little more activity and minimally he would eat when I dig him out but it’s been next to nothing lately (he did chomp some cuttlebone) but none of the mash I make and no baby worms 🤷🏼‍♀️ .. will continue to try for a bit longer or switch things up and see if it gets him eating again. I just worry! Lol

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Kind of reassuring it isn’t just mine! I know that it’s normal behavior for them to stay buried a lot, I guess I just assumed at least a little more activity and minimally he would eat when I dig him out but it’s been next to nothing lately (he did chomp some cuttlebone) but none of the mash I make and no baby worms 🤷🏼‍♀️ .. will continue to try for a bit longer or switch things up and see if it gets him eating again. I just worry! Lol
Yeah exactly! Keep me updated if something you do suddenly works.