New baby leopard tortoise

Sboss

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
Hey all. I just got a new baby leopard tortoise yesterday. This site has been a wealth of knowledge and I’m so grateful I found it. I have learned so much from this site!

I just want to make sure I have the basics down. I have her in a 40 gallon tank right now. I know I’m suppose to use coco coair, Cypress mulch, or orchid bark. I can’t really find any of this in Phoenix, so is that repti-bark okay to use. Or can I do a combination of the repti-bark and cypress mulch.

I order a ceramic heat emitter. I know she needs the 4 different temperatures in the tank. I know the humidity in the tank needs to be at 80%. I know she needs to have a dark hut to go into.

Any other basics I need to know? Is the tank I have her in big enough?

Thanks all! I’m excited to be part of this group!

Sboss

Phoenix
Hey all. I just got a new baby leopard tortoise yesterday. This site has been a wealth of knowledge and I’m so grateful I found it. I have learned so much from this site!

I just want to make sure I have the basics down. I have her in a 40 gallon tank right now. I know I’m suppose to use coco coair, Cypress mulch, or orchid bark. I can’t really find any of this in Phoenix, so is that repti-bark okay to use. Or can I do a combination of the repti-bark and cypress mulch.

I order a ceramic heat emitter. I know she needs the 4 different temperatures in the tank. I know the humidity in the tank needs to be at 80%. I know she needs to have a dark hut to go into.

Any other basics I need to know? Is the tank I have her in big enough?

Thanks all! I’m excited to be part of this group!
I also want to put some plants in there. I know Pothos, spider plants, and Boston ferns are the best plants. Do I just plant them straight into the substrate?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A 40 gallon is okay for a very short time. A 2 or 3 by 4 foot would be the best size for now. It needs to be a closed chamber, with lights and heat inside the enclosure so humidity can stay at 80%.
Clay saucer water dish, hide, plants, food slate, etc, takes up a lot of space and they need room to walk to keep everything moving correctly, inside and out. A tube florescent for uvb, incandescent flood bulb for basking and che for night heat and added day heat when needed.