New baby leopard tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstec

5 Year Member
Hi I'm new to keeping tortoises but a long time keeper of reptiles of all kinds. I also work costumer service in a pet store so I have knowledge of the basic care but I know experience is more valuable then anything from a book if anyone has any advice anything is aprietiated greatly. My baby Leo is kept on paper towels for now to avoid impaction with a spot for sphagnum moss to keep slight humidity. He has a 75 red heat glo and a 10. UVB light as well I feed him mixed greens along with zoo meds grassland food and he always has the option to graze on, or hide under Timothy hay in one corner on the cool side. Little Hubert has quickly made himself a new member of my personal little zoo I seem to be starting. My only concern is he keeps his eyes closed a lot it doesn't seem to be a lighting issue and it may be nothing other then my inexperience and worrying about the little guy. Any advice or experience based knowledge would be great!

Attachments

• image-3575892558.png
    image-3575892558.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • image-55181014.png
    image-55181014.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • image-2418979723.png
    image-2418979723.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73

caricca12

5 Year Member
Welcome welcome!! I am also a new baby Leo owner as well (just got one a couple weeks ago)

Someone of more expertise will probably offer more help about the lights but if you're using a could UVB bulb that could be why s/he is keeping it's eyes close.. Those tend to hurt their eyes.

Your baby leopard is super cute!!

jstec

5 Year Member
Thankyou:) and I wasn't sure on what bulb to buy I have heard conflicting information about the different UVB bulbs and have also seen what can happen when the wrong one is used. At work about a year ago we had an emerald basilisk and he was full of energy and very inquisitive but the very slowly faded and I noticed his pupils were not changing under different lighting but by this time it was too late and he was nearly blind he was fed with tongs and is at a loving home now doing well but I never want to see that happen to anyone's animals again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jstec and welcome to the Forum!

If your UVB light is one of those coiled compact fluorescent bulbs, then, I'm afraid the bulb IS your little guy's eye problem.

You really don't have to worry about impaction if you keep your tortoise well-hydrated. Please read the "important threads" at the top of the leopard section and also at the top of the sulcata section (care is similar for baby leopards and baby sulcatas). Moisture in the environment is much more important that keeping the baby on paper towels.

jstec

5 Year Member
Thankyou for your help I will try to figure out a way to put a florescent bulb up and switch the substrate to a sphagnum moss coconut fiber mix

jstec

5 Year Member
Now I just need to change out his substrate!

Attachments

• image-1020271408.png
    image-1020271408.png
    1 MB · Views: 44

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Very creative way to hang the UV light!

A little off topic but id love to know, what critters are in your other rack enclosures? :)

SpoonyMcGovern

5 Year Member
Brunswick, MD
I like the hangers! I have the same shelves, but I just put the light on the shelf above...very creative!!!

jstec

5 Year Member
All done! Thanks for the advice little Hubert is now humid warm and happy hopefully he will have his eyes open more often now :)
To answer the other question about the rack I have a leopard gecko and the very first snake ever born at my house a baby eastern garter snake in the two ten gallons then an Anetherixtic redtail boa normal ball python and a hypo tangerine Honduran milk snake I used to have a Kenyan paradox sand boa but I just recently traded her for my new baby leopard tortoise :) I'd post pictures but most are very out of date let me know if u want me to any way though:)

Attachments

• image-2033610113.png
    image-2033610113.png
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image-1013926453.png
    image-1013926453.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • image-711786606.png
    image-711786606.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't see a hide. They should have a hide to get under and sleep. Have you checked out Toms threads yet? They are at the bottom of my post. They all are great info for raising a leopard. You will need to cover the enclosure 1/2 to 3/4 of it to keep in the 80% humidity. Cute Leo.

jstec

5 Year Member
I'm waiting to make one from an old plastic tub he had a round log hide but I took it out bc while running around he would try to climb over it and end up falling sometimes on his back and not be able to flip himself back over so until probably tmr but he likes to nap under his hay

Status
Not open for further replies.