New Baby

iSweets

5 Year Member
Hi all!!!! I just got my baby sulcata, who I quickly named Flash Gordon, and I just had a quick question. I see a lot of tortoises that eat a lot, and I know he's little, but he barely eats anything. Usually only a bite or two of something, and then he's done and back to his patrolling. Is this normal?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482503524.088153.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the new baby. Pacing the perimeter of the enclosure is a typical sulcata trait. My adult will spend hours pacing along his enclosure walls. Sometimes it means that things aren't exactly right. For example; it could be too hot or cold and it is looking for a place to warm up or cool down; the tortoise could be feeling exposed (babies are prey to so many bigger animals) and looking for a good hiding spot. It is up to you to determine if the behavior is "normal" or if it's a reaction to environmental conditions.

A good read for lots of info specific to baby sulcata can be found here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/