New Box giving me the run around....

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Zealand
Hi all
I am the new owner of a lovely (almost) three year old Three Toed Box turtle.

I would like some advise regarding getting him started eating non live food, he has come direct from the breeder and has had a live diet mostly and I think he has not chosen to eat the 'green' diet offered...
I cant seem to get him interested in anything other than wiggling mealworms or beetles. I have tried peas, grated carrot, banana, wet cat food, soaked dry dog food. If it doesn't wiggle he wont even look at the food, I sit him on the dish and nothing.

I have only had him two weeks so we are still in the settling in period. I don't want to be a stuck feeding only live food, all help and advice greatly appreciated.

Everything else is going good, he is using his water dish (inside and outside) for a soak each morning, he looks bright and healthy and feels solid and heavy. He is outside during the day and brought inside for the night. I live by a river and we have wild rats, all my torty's come in at night also. It is Spring in New Zealand now so we are warming up for Summer. Wendy

Day time: Happy to soak and then sit in the shrubs and leaves.
043.JPG

:Inside at night and feeding in the morning. Covered over with dry leaves at night and he sleeps among the leaves. Torty is not in with him but on the other side of the glass.
026.JPG

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Some years ago on another list there was a recipe for turtle wigglers. Using ice cube trays as individual serving jello molds, a variety of good foods, greens, fruits, etc., was chopped or pureed and mixed into plain gelatin. The resulting cubes quiver, and are attractive to turtles that like their food in motion.

M

Maggie Cummings

When I have that problem, I get big night crawlers and fix whatever non-live food you're going to, then cut the worms (2) up into a bunch of wiggling pieces and mix them into the food....takes a while but they get the good stuff while trying to eat worm pieces....

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Most boxies love reptomin turtle sticks. you can moisten those, mash them up, and mix in fruits and veggies.

M

Maggie Cummings

When I have that problem, I get big night crawlers and fix whatever non-live food you're going to, then cut the worms (2) up into a bunch of wiggling pieces and mix them into the food....takes a while but they get the good stuff while trying to eat worm pieces....

The idea is once they are eating the worm pieces and getting non live food at the same time, they get used to the other food, so you use more non-live and less worms gradually until no worms at all...

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
Thanks everyone, these suggestions have give me some different things to try.
This turtle is cleaver than I am...lol
Many thanks