New boxie enclosure

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
My Father's Day gift was a stack of lumber (my kind of gift). I built my 3 toes a outdoor space where they will now live 24/7/365. I'm lucky enough to live where they are native.

I sunk a pressure treated 4x4 into the ground, stacked 6 layers of landscape timbers, then capped it off with a 2x6 ledge. It's 6' wide and 12' long. I put gravel around the perimeter to help prevent them from trying to dig out, there's 4 hides and some mulch. Now I've just got to plant it up and make the soaking pond.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434939245.292657.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434939297.411284.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434939311.796435.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434939327.382322.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Kevin, it is awesome!!! What a great gift!! Happy Fathers Day to you!!
Thanks. It was time to move them outside so I can clean out and U.S. The indoor one for the new baby Sulcata.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Pretty sweet. I love the Landscape timber look. Cheap, sturdy, and ages well.
The best part was the price. The sign outside said $3.47ea which is about right (even though that price sucks). I told my wife we could just pay for them inside and load them up after wards so I wasn't loading them to a cart then again into my truck. I grabbed the rest of my stuff and told them to ring me up for 20 (which would have been 4 rows high). She flips over her little book and says "these" and I looked and it was the 8' PT landscape timber I wanted and they rang up at $1.77ea. I asked if they were on sale and was told no so I told her to ring me up for an additional 10 and ended up 6 rows tall. I thought I was in a time warp, haven't seen landscape timbers that cheap in like 10 years. Somebody made a boo-boo when that made that book. She double checked and it kept coming up that price so I wasn't going to force them to charge me extra, lol. Got all the lumber and screws I needed, plus a new light fixture for my half bath for $190

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I tossed a few rocks and sticks in there today. Also planted a small banana plant.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Nice!

Toss in a leaf pile and any garden waste, too. It will break down & enrich the soil, attract good bugs for hunting, and provide another hide.

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
Very nice! You could put something me dirt on top of those hides maybe it will help them look more natural and blend in better. Just a suggestion:)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This is very nice.....

WOW! ! ! ! ! ! !

txturtle13

5 Year Member
You know how happy this makes me!!! They're mama is doin great, and had loved all the rain. Happy belated Father's Day! And thank you for taking such wonderful care of Dora's babies :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
You know how happy this makes me!!! They're mama is doin great, and had loved all the rain. Happy belated Father's Day! And thank you for taking such wonderful care of Dora's babies :)
You'll have to send me a text some have your number again. I smashed my last phone and lost it. I would have sent the pics. They're loving it outside.