new cage

alexksquared

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
So I am making my tortoise a new cage. I have done it in the past, but this next one will be bigger than what they need so hopefully it will be good for more than a few years.
I am thinking of using sliding glass doors to allow access. I did it before, and he kept trying to climb through the glass. His current cage, I go in through the top. Meaning there is no glass at his level but has full length windows on each side. He still tries to climb. My question is this. If I were to go back to the sliding glass doors, would that bother him? As in he keeps trying to get out and will disturb him in the long run?
I also give him baths and let him out when it's nice outside. The cage he has now is enclosed with air vents. The humidity is great along with the heat (on sensors that turn off if to hot). So really just the glass part is in question.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I am making my tortoise a new cage. I have done it in the past, but this next one will be bigger than what they need so hopefully it will be good for more than a few years.
I am thinking of using sliding glass doors to allow access. I did it before, and he kept trying to climb through the glass. His current cage, I go in through the top. Meaning there is no glass at his level but has full length windows on each side. He still tries to climb. My question is this. If I were to go back to the sliding glass doors, would that bother him? As in he keeps trying to get out and will disturb him in the long run?
I also give him baths and let him out when it's nice outside. The cage he has now is enclosed with air vents. The humidity is great along with the heat (on sensors that turn off if to hot). So really just the glass part is in question.
The glass should be fine, but what species size and age tortoise are we talking about? What size enclosure are you making?

alexksquared

Cleveland, Ohio
The glass should be fine, but what species size and age tortoise are we talking about? What size enclosure are you making?
Sorry about skipping the details. He is a Marginated tortoise. Roughly 4 years old, size is around 7-8" (I measure compared to my hand). I am making a 4'x8'. It is a closed cell PVC board. that way it won't rot. I do plan on having a long side no widows at all. Instead do spray foam shelves for hanging plants (safe ones).

Reactions: Tom