New cherry head enclosure

grantb22

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I am a new owner to a very cute 4” inch cherry head. Want to make sure everything is perfect.
I have 2 hides, one in the cold side one hot side. Hot side is around 88 cold side is about 75. I have a humidifier running 24/7. I have started all my own plants from seed should be growing up soon. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it better. I’m looking to double the size of his enclosure in the next couple months.

Thank you, glad to be apart of the forum [emoji217]

IMG_1525054593.142104.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use that tub for my juvenile box turtle. I use heavy duty clear shower curtains to cover.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree.
Close the top. I use cut to size plexiglass with hinges silicone glued on.
Bring a florescent 5.0 uvb tube light inside by mounting it to the underside of the lid.
Use a CHE for heat without bright light.
look for steady heat at around 80 to 85 throughout the enclosure and humidity of over 70%.
Redfoot are never comfortable under bright lights. And that type of lighting will fight your trying to maintain humidity.

grantb22

Alberta, Canada
I agree.
Close the top. I use cut to size plexiglass with hinges silicone glued on.
Bring a florescent 5.0 uvb tube light inside by mounting it to the underside of the lid.
Use a CHE for heat without bright light.
look for steady heat at around 80 to 85 throughout the enclosure and humidity of over 70%.
Redfoot are never comfortable under bright lights. And that type of lighting will fight your trying to maintain humidity.

I have 2 ceramic bulbs one 150 watt and one 60 watt. Also a 60watt uvb bulb

daniellenc

Maryland
E57BC244-A982-4057-B8A7-6AB05C9A0EE7.jpeg CBFE4BF4-CAE1-440C-B148-1B01510F4279.jpeg What’s your temps inside the cage that’s a lot of heat. Here’s my cheaply done closed chamber. It’s not pretty but those are a 10.0 UVB and a 50 watt CHE which keeps my enclosure in the mid eighties on the warm side, mid cage 80, and cool side mid 70’s. I stole this idea from here @Anyfoot is the one who suggested mounting my UVB and I’m not handy but it was easy and effective

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What @daniellenc has done with mounting the florescent INSIDE the enclosure is what I do. (In her above photos)
However, I would opt for a 5.0 and not a 10.0. And depending on how far away from the tortoise it is, a 150 watt CHE gets pretty hot. Why do you have 2 with such different wattages?
A cool side and a hot side is not needed. You want the whole enclosure to be in the lower 80s.
Redfoot get stressed by too cool as well as too hot and they like to avoid bright lights.
By just using this same building idea, you can make a very large setup.

Last edited:

grantb22

Alberta, Canada
What @daniellenc has done with mounting the florescent INSIDE the enclosure is what I do. (In her above photos)
However, I would opt for a 5.0 and not a 10.0. And depending on how far away from the tortoise it is, a 150 watt CHE gets pretty hot. Why do you have 2 with such different wattages?
A cool side and a hot side is not needed. You want the whole enclosure to be in the lower 80s.
Redfoot get stressed by too cool as well as too hot and they like to avoid bright lights.
By just using this same building idea, you can make a very large setup.

Directly under my 150 are temperatures of 84-89 under the 60 watt is usually 83. Most of the enclosure sit at around 81 while the cool areas are around 76-79.