New desert tortoise, eyes, nose, shell advice sought

YoungSheldon

Location (City and/or State)
Blythe, CA
I’d like to thank all of the forum members for the wealth of information they have made available. This forum has been my go to resource in figuring out how to care for my newly acquired desert tortoise, and I really appreciate all the knowledge and effort members have put into their posts. But I’m worried about my little one and it’s time to stop lurking and start posting myself.

Sheldon is approximately 7 months old and 2 1/2” long midline of shell. I have had him for about one month. He was a surprise hatchling. My friends acquired his mother (approx. 35 years old) with the house and property they purchased a few years ago. The mother lives by herself in a secure outdoor enclosure, but she obviously had some sort of fling sometime before they got her. They had no idea she had laid until Sheldon was spotted last Nov. 8th, and there were no signs of any siblings. Her enclosure is under a huge mulberry tree in a section with many other trees and shrubs, so lots of birds, too, so there may have been more that didn’t make it.

Sheldons prior enclosure was an aquarium, and I believe it was fine for temp and humidity. He was not soaked by my friends but he did have a shallow water dish that he used constantly and I’m sure he was adequately hydrated. My friends went on vacation for three plus weeks when Sheldon was five/six months, and I cared for him. I started taking him outside to run around, and feeding him greens and dandelions when the lettuce they had left went to the chickens.

Sheldons current enclosure is a 2’ x 3’ commercial Rubbermaid cart with plywood added to make the upper tray 10” tall. The substrate has areas of fine orchid bark and areas of eco earth coconut fiber. He has a floor lamp with articulating arms with two hanging fixtures, containing one 100w. black ceramic heat lamp and one 75w. Incandescent basking lamp. He has a slate basking area, two terracotta water dishes, a terracotta feeding dish, and an purchased humid hide with hidden water dishes in the roof. I have temp/humidity sensors scattered all over the enclosure, and know that there are an incredible number of microclimates in this small space. Low humidity is 45, but just moving the uppermost pieces of bark changes it to 60 plus immediately. The highest humidity is inside the hide or under the wheatgrass, over 90 percent. The temps range from low 70’s to mid 90’s, and it is possible to find any combination of these ranges somewhere.

His current routine is a slow wake, first blinds open at 5 am for sunrise light, then room lights when full outside light happens. Basking bulb after that. He comes out of the enclosure for breakfast and morning soak, two or three times a week this is done outside, where he can also run around on the patio and grind down his nails and get some sunlight (mostly dappled through the trees). He spends the middle of his day basking or patrolling his enclosure, then has a second meal and run around the dining table, then usually a soak and petting late afternoon. He puts himself to bed around 5:30-6pm.

The staples that I keep on hand for his meals are mulberry leaves, grape leaves, dandelion greens, two or more grocery greens (kale, arugula, beet leaves, etc.), mallow, hibiscus, radish and sunflower micro greens, zucchini leaves and Mazuri small tortoise diet LS (he eats 5-10 small pellets daily), and once a week or so he gets a quarter size piece of watermelon liberally sprinkled with Fluker’s phosphorus free calcium with D3. He also has a scuttlebone and does occasionally eat some of it. His individual meals consist of some combination of three or four of the above. I also always have cactus available and offer it every couple of days but he tastes and will not yet eat. I also give him a carrot soak once or twice a week. Sheldon eats and poops like a champ.

Sheldons mother does have a respiratory condition, my friends were informed by the prior owner. She rarely shows symptoms. Her enclosure is large enough that she and Sheldon may never have seen each other.

I apologize for the length of the post but I am going to ask for opinions and advice, and I’ve lurked in the forums enough to know that people will want these details so they can better evaluate Sheldons situation. So here goes:

1. How soft is too soft? Sheldons perimeter scutes near his tail flex. I first saw it when he backed into something. He also has a depression along the midline of his shell, which seems to be filling out and getting rounder in the month that I’ve had him, but maybe that is wishful thinking. This depression could be seen when he was newly hatched, Ill try to post the picture that was taken the day he was discovered.
  2. His eyes are swollen and I’m not sure why. I don’t think it is allergies or irritants from his substrate. I’ve gone through three changes of substrate, including a week in his old tank on paper towels, and while the amount of puffiness goes up and down, it never clears. I did notice a week ago that he was dragging his claws across his eyes when eating, either to push leaves away (he likes them best whole) or to unstick pieces of chopped food. Until I noticed the clawing, he was feeding all kinds of ways, whole pieces, finely chopped in his dish, hand feeding, self feeding, etc. For the past week he has been exclusively hand fed, so I can keep those little front feet away from his eyes, and they seem better but not right, and more swollen today than yesterday.
  3. His nose is pink and scaleless. Other than appearance, there seems to be no problem. No discharge, seems functionally okay and he uses it without hesitation. Just looks different from photos I see of other hatchlings.
  4. Any vet recommendations around Blythe, CA? The closest on the forum vet 10C86A6A-F248-4543-8360-43EB6901DE08.jpeglist in Palm Desert had his license revoked in a disciplinary action and is no longer practicing. The office is open but the practice was sold to a cat and dog type vet. The one vet in Blythe ( where we live) doesn’t even have a functioning phone, besides my being very apprehensive about taking Sheldon to a random vet who may know nothing about tortoises.

I would have never guessed a reptile could be such a great pet. Sheldon is social and entertaining. He comes when I call him or tap my finger, climbs onto my palm when I place my hand flat in his enclosure, and seems to enjoy the little obstacle courses and games I set up for him. I’m amazed when he lays in my palm and I stroke his shell that he almost melts with relaxation. Again, would have never guessed a tortoise could exude contentment. Lol, I’m besotted with the little guy. But I’m worried, too. He seems great, active, engaged, eating like crazy, pooping to beat the band, growing and getting stronger, but his eyes, and his shell and his nose...I am just way too inexperienced to even begin to judge what it means. Living in the middle of the desert, it seems like everyone I know has or has had a desert tortoise as a pet. But not one of them has seen or cared for a hatchling.

Thanks to all of you who have read this very long post. I apologize again for the extreme length and look forward to any responses you may post.

Best Regards,

RobinA73F7099-F55B-4D1D-8470-13FF1F3C1188.jpeg9301C549-D326-438F-BBE0-5BBD013B36F9.jpeg499A877B-E723-4F98-B5F8-6D0D99D6CB4B.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I’d like to thank all of the forum members for the wealth of information they have made available. This forum has been my go to resource in figuring out how to care for my newly acquired desert tortoise, and I really appreciate all the knowledge and effort members have put into their posts. But I’m worried about my little one and it’s time to stop lurking and start posting myself.

Sheldon is approximately 7 months old and 2 1/2” long midline of shell. I have had him for about one month. He was a surprise hatchling. My friends acquired his mother (approx. 35 years old) with the house and property they purchased a few years ago. The mother lives by herself in a secure outdoor enclosure, but she obviously had some sort of fling sometime before they got her. They had no idea she had laid until Sheldon was spotted last Nov. 8th, and there were no signs of any siblings. Her enclosure is under a huge mulberry tree in a section with many other trees and shrubs, so lots of birds, too, so there may have been more that didn’t make it.

Sheldons prior enclosure was an aquarium, and I believe it was fine for temp and humidity. He was not soaked by my friends but he did have a shallow water dish that he used constantly and I’m sure he was adequately hydrated. My friends went on vacation for three plus weeks when Sheldon was five/six months, and I cared for him. I started taking him outside to run around, and feeding him greens and dandelions when the lettuce they had left went to the chickens.

Sheldons current enclosure is a 2’ x 3’ commercial Rubbermaid cart with plywood added to make the upper tray 10” tall. The substrate has areas of fine orchid bark and areas of eco earth coconut fiber. He has a floor lamp with articulating arms with two hanging fixtures, containing one 100w. black ceramic heat lamp and one 75w. Incandescent basking lamp. He has a slate basking area, two terracotta water dishes, a terracotta feeding dish, and an purchased humid hide with hidden water dishes in the roof. I have temp/humidity sensors scattered all over the enclosure, and know that there are an incredible number of microclimates in this small space. Low humidity is 45, but just moving the uppermost pieces of bark changes it to 60 plus immediately. The highest humidity is inside the hide or under the wheatgrass, over 90 percent. The temps range from low 70’s to mid 90’s, and it is possible to find any combination of these ranges somewhere.

His current routine is a slow wake, first blinds open at 5 am for sunrise light, then room lights when full outside light happens. Basking bulb after that. He comes out of the enclosure for breakfast and morning soak, two or three times a week this is done outside, where he can also run around on the patio and grind down his nails and get some sunlight (mostly dappled through the trees). He spends the middle of his day basking or patrolling his enclosure, then has a second meal and run around the dining table, then usually a soak and petting late afternoon. He puts himself to bed around 5:30-6pm.

The staples that I keep on hand for his meals are mulberry leaves, grape leaves, dandelion greens, two or more grocery greens (kale, arugula, beet leaves, etc.), mallow, hibiscus, radish and sunflower micro greens, zucchini leaves and Mazuri small tortoise diet LS (he eats 5-10 small pellets daily), and once a week or so he gets a quarter size piece of watermelon liberally sprinkled with Fluker’s phosphorus free calcium with D3. He also has a scuttlebone and does occasionally eat some of it. His individual meals consist of some combination of three or four of the above. I also always have cactus available and offer it every couple of days but he tastes and will not yet eat. I also give him a carrot soak once or twice a week. Sheldon eats and poops like a champ.

Sheldons mother does have a respiratory condition, my friends were informed by the prior owner. She rarely shows symptoms. Her enclosure is large enough that she and Sheldon may never have seen each other.

I apologize for the length of the post but I am going to ask for opinions and advice, and I’ve lurked in the forums enough to know that people will want these details so they can better evaluate Sheldons situation. So here goes:

1. How soft is too soft? Sheldons perimeter scutes near his tail flex. I first saw it when he backed into something. He also has a depression along the midline of his shell, which seems to be filling out and getting rounder in the month that I’ve had him, but maybe that is wishful thinking. This depression could be seen when he was newly hatched, Ill try to post the picture that was taken the day he was discovered.
  2. His eyes are swollen and I’m not sure why. I don’t think it is allergies or irritants from his substrate. I’ve gone through three changes of substrate, including a week in his old tank on paper towels, and while the amount of puffiness goes up and down, it never clears. I did notice a week ago that he was dragging his claws across his eyes when eating, either to push leaves away (he likes them best whole) or to unstick pieces of chopped food. Until I noticed the clawing, he was feeding all kinds of ways, whole pieces, finely chopped in his dish, hand feeding, self feeding, etc. For the past week he has been exclusively hand fed, so I can keep those little front feet away from his eyes, and they seem better but not right, and more swollen today than yesterday.
  3. His nose is pink and scaleless. Other than appearance, there seems to be no problem. No discharge, seems functionally okay and he uses it without hesitation. Just looks different from photos I see of other hatchlings.
  4. Any vet recommendations around Blythe, CA? The closest on the forum vet View attachment 371524list in Palm Desert had his license revoked in a disciplinary action and is no longer practicing. The office is open but the practice was sold to a cat and dog type vet. The one vet in Blythe ( where we live) doesn’t even have a functioning phone, besides my being very apprehensive about taking Sheldon to a random vet who may know nothing about tortoises.

I would have never guessed a reptile could be such a great pet. Sheldon is social and entertaining. He comes when I call him or tap my finger, climbs onto my palm when I place my hand flat in his enclosure, and seems to enjoy the little obstacle courses and games I set up for him. I’m amazed when he lays in my palm and I stroke his shell that he almost melts with relaxation. Again, would have never guessed a tortoise could exude contentment. Lol, I’m besotted with the little guy. But I’m worried, too. He seems great, active, engaged, eating like crazy, pooping to beat the band, growing and getting stronger, but his eyes, and his shell and his nose...I am just way too inexperienced to even begin to judge what it means. Living in the middle of the desert, it seems like everyone I know has or has had a desert tortoise as a pet. But not one of them has seen or cared for a hathanks to all of you who have read this very long post. I apologize again for the extreme length and look forward to any responses you may post.

Best Regards,

RobinView attachment 371525View attachment 371526

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What type of substrate are you using? The eyes do look a little swollen. Something like substrate could be aggravating the eyes. Show us a picture of the substrate.
You can use non medicated saline solution. From the drug store, again non medicated saline solution. It could also be your lighting. So us a picture of your lights also.

Last edited:

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
What type of substrate are you using? The eyes do look a little swollen. Something like substrate could be aggravating the eyes. Show us a picture of the substrate.
You can use non medicated saline solution. From the drug store, again non medicated saline solution. It could also be your lighting. So us a picture of your lights also.
It seems you need more detailed info than I gave in my original post. The substrate has areas of just bark and areas of just coconut fiber, about 50/50. It is Zoo Med Premium ReptiBark, ZooMed Eco Earth coconut fiber substrate and there are areas of the coco fiber that are sprinkled with a layer of Zoo Med ReptiSand. The substrate is about 3 1/2” deep. Sheldon does not typically dig, although he did dig out a 2” deep depression along the back inside wall of the plastic hide. It was a “one and done” dig. He only sleeps in the hide about half the time, sometimes he sleeps under the wheatgrass or just sticks his head in a corner and sleeps in the open. This substrate is an upgrade from the hardware store orchid bark that he had originally. I’ve kept him in his old aquarium on paper towels for four days with no change, so he has been back in his enclosure for a week or a little more.

His lighting is one 75watt incandescent basking lamp, 20” above his slate. He also has a 100watt black ceramic lamp that emits no visible light, for heat only, that is about the same distance. He has no uvb lighting as he spends 6-10 hours a week outside in natural sunlight, a choice I made because of my concerns about his eyelids. His 75w basking lamp is made by LuckyHerp and is called a “safety coated basking spot lamp”. The ceramic heat lamp is by Hanjion, and both are from Amazon.

I forgot to mention that I have been using Zoo Med Repti Turtle Eyedrops, two drops per eye daily for the past week. I do use tap water for hydrating his substrate and for him but let it sit for at least 48 hours and treat it with Zoo Med Reptisafe. If I need water more quickly, I use bottled drinking water.E53089B6-EF34-477F-B867-08379DDC9F1C.jpegC650203B-7FCA-42E0-A799-F463AB9ABD50.jpegBEFA97D2-CBA5-4D29-AC89-7A3CB99C8323.jpegE53089B6-EF34-477F-B867-08379DDC9F1C.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
His nose and eyes are worrisome. I don't know what is causing it. The only thing to do is process of elimination. Start with that light. It's very harsh for babies. Replace it with a T5 fluorescent UVB and use the CHE day and night for heat. Soak him daily for 15 or 20 minutes.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Sorry about asking for pictures. I can identify better with pics. I would shut off the 75w incandescent light for a week. See if that helps with the eyes. Also I read you are using calcium with D3. Since Sheldon is getting that much natural sunlight. D3 isn't needed, it can actually change the way the calcium is being absorbed. Calcium with plenty of sunlight is all you need. D3 is used when UVB for the tort is low. Also the brackets holding the CHE and lights have been known to fail. Fall in the enclosure and start fires. The bracket you have on the CHE is a type I haven't seen. It might have safety features on it. But if the bracket pinches on the side of the enclosure. It is probably going to be unsafe. You can make a A-frame out of wood or PVC pipe. To hang those fixtures from above.

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
I discovered Sheldon was scratching his own eyes while eating on May 23rd. He has been hand fed since that time. I’ve never seen him touch his eyes at any other time.
Sorry about asking for pictures. I can identify better with pics. I would shut off the 75w incandescent light for a week. See if that helps with the eyes. Also I read you are using calcium with D3. Since Sheldon is getting that much natural sunlight. D3 isn't needed, it can actually change the way the calcium is being absorbed. Calcium with plenty of sunlight is all you need. D3 is used when UVB for the tort is low. Also the brackets holding the CHE and lights have been known to fail. Fall in the enclosure and start fires. The bracket you have on the CHE is a type I haven't seen. It might have safety features on it. But if the bracket pinches on the side of the enclosure. It is probably going to be unsafe. You can make a A-frame out of wood or PVC pipe. To hang those fixtures from above.
I’ve ordered a T5, suggested by Yvonne, which should arrive Sunday. The old incandescent is history. The articulating arms that hold the lamps are attached to a weighted floor base, completely separate from the enclosure. The enclosure is on casters and can be moved anywhere. I will add restraints to the arms so they cannot collapse, at least to the one holding the CHE, and I’ll add a lanyard to the reflector and bulb fixture. Since I’m not using the incandescent, I can just remove that arm. I have just straight ground to powder egg shells that I can give him in place of the D3 fortified calcium. It’s coarser than the commercial stuff but still pretty fine. I know he’ll eat it if it is on a little slice of watermelon. Keeping him warm won’t be an issue, the low tonight here will be 77 degrees and tomorrow is expected to reach 110 or more. I can just throttle his air conditioning a little.

Thanks for the ideas of where to start and the heads up on the safety issues with the light fixtures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and there are areas of the coco fiber that are sprinkled with a layer of Zoo Med ReptiSand.
This is likely your problem. Sand should never be used. Its a skin and eye irritant and can also cause impaction.

Over all, you've done an excellent job. Here are some points for discussion:
1. Calcium with D3 in it is fine. You can't over dose them with the amount present in the powdered calcium given two or three times per week in small amounts.
2. You want a flood type basking, not a spot, but other than that, you are doing well.
3. The CHE should not be needed unless your night temp is dropping below the highs 60s. The basking bulb should be warming thing up during the day along with the summer heat. If you do feel you need the CHE, it should be controlled by a thermostat.
4. You need bright ambient lighting indoors. I use LEDs for this.
5. I think the indoor HO tube for UV is a good idea. Only run it for about 3 hours mid day.
6. The missing nose scales is wierd. I've never seen that and have no idea what would cause that. Hopefully with time and your excellent care ad feeding, it will go back to normal.

Read through this thread at least twice. There is a heating/lighting breakdown and a temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

Questions are welcome.

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
His nose and eyes are worrisome. I don't know what is causing it. The only thing to do is process of elimination. Start with that light. It's very harsh for babies. Replace it with a T5 fluorescent UVB and use the CHE day and night for heat. Soak him daily for 15 or 20 minutes.
Thx for confirming that regardless of how healthy he acts, there is something wrong and his eyes and nose are not in any normal range. I’ve ordered the T5 and won’t use the old light anymore. And I’ll continue his soaks, which he loves anyway.

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
Welcome to the forum :) Please keep us updated with his health!
Thank you, four toed Edward! Sheldon has been without the spot basking bulb, per Ray—Opo and Yvonne, for about a day and a half. I think his eyelids look slightly improved, although it may be in the range of fluctuations I’ve seen in the past. I hope this time it will be continued reduction of swelling.

I ordered the T5 light when Yvonne suggested it and was happy to see the Zoo Med 10.0 I had chosen mentioned in the write up provided by Tom the dog trainer. I also removed the layer of sand that Tom pointed out as potentially harmful.

I’ll add some pictures of Sheldon from this morning, having his breakfast and before his morning soak and Zoo Med eye drops. He’s eating a grape leaf with a shmear of Mazuri and calcium, a huge hibiscus petal and some garden grown, very tough zucchini. As always, he seems oblivious to any issues and only wants to eat, soak and explore. I’ll give it four or five more days before posting more pics of the results of no harsh light and no sand.AE922D46-B460-4B1A-8C14-63CACF4F2546.jpegB4924A13-D118-4F01-AFA4-5A3EB5FB1251.jpeg5FB16953-3B6C-4180-B62D-2C7291825119.png

Attachments

• 13F995A9-94DA-4752-AC54-AC045264B3C5.jpeg
    13F995A9-94DA-4752-AC54-AC045264B3C5.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 2

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
It is always a good sign that the tortoise is eating. Hopefully it is only some irritation that will settle!
Thx for thinking about him today. He continues to eat, drink and poop like a champ and several white growth lines became visible around his scutes today, too. I am very encouraged watching his hearty appetite but I’m almost embarrassed at how pleased I am with his healthy little poops.
I’m sure everyone was correct about the light being too harsh because I’m seeing little improvements in his eyes AND his nose every day. I’m going to wait a few more days to confirm, but I think the advice I received from the forum will be proven sound.

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
Update:

I know Sheldon’s sweet little face so well I could see improvement the first day without the basking spot, but I think it is so much better that everyone will be able to tell the difference now.

It is obvious that the spot lamp was affecting not only his eyes but also his nose. His nose is now smaller, the pink is fading and brown color is beginning. A faint outline of his nose scales is visible.

Sheldon still has healing to do. Thanks to the guidance of the forum, and based on his current progress, I think he will recover completely.

Sheldon continues to seem unaware of any negative issues. He is indulging in second breakfast after his morning walkabout.C81822CE-930C-4886-9CC5-32EAABD74562.jpegEFAF1449-5168-44FE-BE83-8951564CAED2.jpegAFF9F626-92DF-4D60-8CA9-BA7372D41608.jpeg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sheldon sounds absolutely lovely , and I am very glad his eyes and nose are improving. I was re-reading your introduction, about how he loves to be stroked, and how friendly he is. We have a Hermanns tortoise who is 24 years old in a couple of weeks, and he has always enjoyed being handled and stroked -that's something we are very glad about. It's so lovely when I can feel that rapport with him - in recent months we have developed a special stroking session time - when he is a bit tired in the early evening, I sit/recline with him in a darkish room, position him on my chest, and start stroking him gently. He loves it, adjusting his position now and then, reaching his head up to touch my face, and this can go on for an hour or so, sometimes. He decides when he's had enough enough ! I never realised before that one can have such a close relationship with a tortoise, and probably many of them wouldn't be co-operative, but it sounds like Sheldon will be like that, too. I hope so, for both of you.
Angie

YoungSheldon

Blythe, CA
Sheldon sounds absolutely lovely , and I am very glad his eyes and nose are improving. I was re-reading your introduction, about how he loves to be stroked, and how friendly he is. We have a Hermanns tortoise who is 24 years old in a couple of weeks, and he has always enjoyed being handled and stroked -that's something we are very glad about. It's so lovely when I can feel that rapport with him - in recent months we have developed a special stroking session time - when he is a bit tired in the early evening, I sit/recline with him in a darkish room, position him on my chest, and start stroking him gently. He loves it, adjusting his position now and then, reaching his head up to touch my face, and this can go on for an hour or so, sometimes. He decides when he's had enough enough ! I never realised before that one can have such a close relationship with a tortoise, and probably many of them wouldn't be co-operative, but it sounds like Sheldon will be like that, too. I hope so, for both of you.
Angie
Sheldon is my first tortoise so I don’t have much experience. But over the last few months I have read hundreds of accounts and watched scores of videos documenting the experiences of others with their tortoises. There does seem to be a percentage of tortoises that like being touched and a percentage that enjoy interacting with humans. And a probably even smaller percentage that, like yours and mine, like both activities.

Someone posted a link to a study about tortoise personality on this forum. The researchers were documenting consistent behaviors of the individual tortoises, risk-taking, exploration, reactions to stress, new objects and environments and social behaviors with other torts like sniffing, walking to, head bobbing and ramming. They put the torts in a new, bare enclosure and touched their noses to get them to tuck and measured the time the torts took to untuck, then measured the time until they began to explore the new area, and the time to explore a new object. The researchers recorded the times or the failure to respond. The social tests were with other torts, introducing an unknown tort, a familiar male and a familiar female. They ranked the torts on a gradient. They defined personality or temperament as boldness, reactivity, exploratory behavior, curiosity and aggressiveness/sociability.

I already thought Sheldon was bursting with charisma before I read the study. And it really got me thinking about the behaviors he displays and why they are so engaging and appealing. I can understand why his traits would be good to have in the gene pool from an evolutionary standpoint (the aforementioned study was about suitability for relocating threatened species but there could be any number of situations or changes where one or more of his traits would prove valuable). But a fearless, curious, active and friendly tortoise might get himself into trouble pretty quickly in the wild. For tortoises to exist at all is due to the majority behaving in a much more prudent manner.

We are very lucky to have these uncommon guys. Again, Sheldon is my first, but I’ve provided temporary care to a few different torts belonging to friends over the years. None of them acted as he does. I’m fairly well acquainted with Sheldon’s mother and she is totally indifferent to people, although she does react to the food they bring. I’ve wondered about maintaining such a close connection with Sheldon when he outgrows my hand. Reading about your wonderful experiences with your good boy is very heartening. Thank you very much for sharing that story.

I took another photo of Sheldon this morning, just after his first stretch and yawn of the day. I think I see improvement from even just yesterday.
E323B792-F96D-4021-B0A4-FDEE41592A33.jpeg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Sheldon does indeed look better - that must be a great relief.
Zola has been described as charismatic too, and although we haven't had much experience with other tortoises, we find that people who meet him seem aware that he is exceptional. I think he communicates with me pretty well- I generally know what he wants - or doesn't want - easily by his behaviour, but there's also a feeling that he is trying to express something more at times - trust, affection,-whatever. If anything, it gets more noticeable to me as the years go by. He has a fairly interesting life - he goes out every day with us - he meets people, he looks at the sea (from above, on a cliff)and seems fascinated by the waves, he is taken to look at flower gardens, bluebell woods, and all sorts of things - usually held in my husband's hand a lot of the time when out - he always has his head stretched out to see things - he appreciates it all, I'm sure, and it strengthens his relationship with us, I think. We certainly consider ourselves lucky to have him, and I hope Sheldon will prove as rewarding to you as Zola is to us.
Angie