New Enclosure (always a work in progress)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
So I decided to build an enclosure into a spare closet I have down in my "man cave". I spent the first weekend running the electrical wiring and installing the ventilation system. Then I shot insulation into the surrounding walls and ceiling. Finally, I constructed the actual enclosure into the closet space, about 4' above the floor. Under the enclosure is a small pull-out prep table that I use for maintaining the enclosure. I finished up the enclosure by installing two sliding plexiglass doors on the front, and then insulating the top and bottom with 1/2" styrofoam. MUCH easier to regulate and control the temps and humidity now. I've achieved my daytime high and nighttime low goals. The whole thing measures 60" x 29" x 12". Getting ready to add more plants this coming weekend. Should look really nice then. Little guy seems to enjoy it!

20171219_175102.jpg

20171219_175128.jpg
20171219_175247.jpg
20171218_091459.jpg
20171219_175156.jpg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Nice. However, I am confused. The day time temp of 80 should also be the night time temp. should not be a night time drop for little ones.

I simply meant that neither the warm nor cool side drops below 80 at night. Logically, the basking area will drop quite a bit after turning off the UVB lamp ;)

Creyeschavez

California
So I decided to build an enclosure into a spare closet I have down in my "man cave". I spent the first weekend running the electrical wiring and installing the ventilation system. Then I shot insulation into the surrounding walls and ceiling. Finally, I constructed the actual enclosure into the closet space, about 4' above the floor. Under the enclosure is a small pull-out prep table that I use for maintaining the enclosure. I finished up the enclosure by installing two sliding plexiglass doors on the front, and then insulating the top and bottom with 1/2" styrofoam. MUCH easier to regulate and control the temps and humidity now. I've achieved my daytime high and nighttime low goals. The whole thing measures 60" x 29" x 12". Getting ready to add more plants this coming weekend. Should look really nice then. Little guy seems to enjoy it!

View attachment 225480

View attachment 225481
View attachment 225482
View attachment 225483
View attachment 225484

I also built Norman his new home but I'm having trouble figuring out how to maintain the temperature just right I built it out of wood and I'm thinking of adding plexiglass but what would you recommend to keep heat it ? I need a lid as well what works best ? I'm even considering buying a mini heater for the thing because it's winter and it's dropping way below freezing outside and I'm so scared something will go wrong :( please any tips would help !!! I'm at the point of starting over if I can't figure out how to keep it warm enough and watching money keep going down the drain :oops: I'm already on amazon looking for anything to use on a wooden enclosure..... help !!!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I also built Norman his new home but I'm having trouble figuring out how to maintain the temperature just right I built it out of wood and I'm thinking of adding plexiglass but what would you recommend to keep heat it ? I need a lid as well what works best ? I'm even considering buying a mini heater for the thing because it's winter and it's dropping way below freezing outside and I'm so scared something will go wrong :( please any tips would help !!! I'm at the point of starting over if I can't figure out how to keep it warm enough and watching money keep going down the drain :oops: I'm already on amazon looking for anything to use on a wooden enclosure..... help !!!

I went to Lowes and purchased a 4-pack of 4' x 2' x 1/2" styrofoam insulation for my enclosure. I think it was only about $10. I insulated every side with the exception of where you saw the plexiglass doors. I have a 100watt CHE in the enclosure that is hooked up to a thermostat for control. If your enclosure is bigger / taller than mine, then you may require a more robust CHE or even a couple of them.

The key for you is going to be the lid. If you decide to use plexiglass for it, make sure it is of adequate thickness (the more rigid, the better) because the heat will cause it to bow and warp around the edges and allow heat and humidity to escape. Also, depending on the enclosure height, you may need to cut a hole in the top for your lamp(s). When I did that on my old enclosure, I simply lined the hole with aluminum foil to keep the lamp from melting the surrounding plastic.

Since you're shopping Amazon, check out the Etekcity Lasergrip 774 temperature gun. This little thing made my life so much easier trying to get the temps right. It's only $15.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Finally, I installed a reptile humidifier. This in addition to moistening my substrate really keeps the humidity level in check. This isn't cheapest model Amazon has, but it has worked well for me so far (the first, cheaper one I bought didn't last a day!):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO9582Y/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I know I went off on a tangent with the humidity thing, but it's a little after 3 AM here and my mind is working strictly on autopilot. lol
I think that once you get an adequate top for your enclosure, Norman should be fine. You mentioned it's getting below freezing now... are you keeping the enclosure indoors? I assume you are, but had to ask. ;)

DigBeatz

Los Angeles
Very cool! I love the webcam.. lol. I'm sure it offers a unique angle into their movements.

I'm curious as to how you pump the water vapor into the enclosure. Do you have the tubing just in the air?

I ask because I just got a heating element as well and it seems to suck the moisture out compared to the heat lamp. I was planning on using the element with a thermostat in the hide I have to keep that perfectly regulated, but I'm concerned it will suck the moisture out of the hide.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Yea I saw that in the one photo, but where does the hose lead to? Just right into the top? Or in the substrate?
Sorry... the hose goes right through the top of the enclosure and hangs about 1-2 inches below the ceiling.

Creyeschavez

California
I went to Lowes and purchased a 4-pack of 4' x 2' x 1/2" styrofoam insulation for my enclosure. I think it was only about $10. I insulated every side with the exception of where you saw the plexiglass doors. I have a 100watt CHE in the enclosure that is hooked up to a thermostat for control. If your enclosure is bigger / taller than mine, then you may require a more robust CHE or even a couple of them.

The key for you is going to be the lid. If you decide to use plexiglass for it, make sure it is of adequate thickness (the more rigid, the better) because the heat will cause it to bow and warp around the edges and allow heat and humidity to escape. Also, depending on the enclosure height, you may need to cut a hole in the top for your lamp(s). When I did that on my old enclosure, I simply lined the hole with aluminum foil to keep the lamp from melting the surrounding plastic.

Since you're shopping Amazon, check out the Etekcity Lasergrip 774 temperature gun. This little thing made my life so much easier trying to get the temps right. It's only $15.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Finally, I installed a reptile humidifier. This in addition to moistening my substrate really keeps the humidity level in check. This isn't cheapest model Amazon has, but it has worked well for me so far (the first, cheaper one I bought didn't last a day!):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO9582Y/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I know I went off on a tangent with the humidity thing, but it's a little after 3 AM here and my mind is working strictly on autopilot. lol
I think that once you get an adequate top for your enclosure, Norman should be fine. You mentioned it's getting below freezing now... are you keeping the enclosure indoors? I assume you are, but had to ask. ;)
Okay so even if he's in one of these: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/10464-exo-terra-36-x-18-x-24-glass-terrarium
Exo-terra 40 gallon tank with styrofoam background built in would I insulate the tank or is fine as is ? Or needs some modifications? What are the best lids for an enclosure? The hooded ones ? Also what light should be on at night or no light ? And if i invest in the higher end thermostats how do I acquire them into his tank ? And where should the different lights be placed to insurance they're doing what they supposed to for Norman? Alsooooo, I was going to get a humidifier off amazon as well but I didn't know if it was necessary or okay to use with tortoises. How do they work ? I think i definitely need something to help keep it more humid for Norman.... any suggestions? Different substrate? Lower temps ? Where is a better place to check out humidifiers reasonably priced and have the quality to do the job and last longer than a day ??? Norman was indoors in my room but I don't think he liked it my room gets claustrophobic when the house gets cold because my mom blasts the heater for hours and my room being the smallest it gets stuffy real quick so I bought the new tank so he could stay warm in the garage because the garage is either freezing or warm enough but I noticed Norman's lights keep it from getting too cold he's much happier here than inside I just worry for him so I check on him just incase

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Okay so even if he's in one of these: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/10464-exo-terra-36-x-18-x-24-glass-terrarium
Exo-terra 40 gallon tank with styrofoam background built in would I insulate the tank or is fine as is ? Or needs some modifications? What are the best lids for an enclosure? The hooded ones ? Also what light should be on at night or no light ? And if i invest in the higher end thermostats how do I acquire them into his tank ? And where should the different lights be placed to insurance they're doing what they supposed to for Norman? Alsooooo, I was going to get a humidifier off amazon as well but I didn't know if it was necessary or okay to use with tortoises. How do they work ? I think i definitely need something to help keep it more humid for Norman.... any suggestions? Different substrate? Lower temps ? Where is a better place to check out humidifiers reasonably priced and have the quality to do the job and last longer than a day ??? Norman was indoors in my room but I don't think he liked it my room gets claustrophobic when the house gets cold because my mom blasts the heater for hours and my room being the smallest it gets stuffy real quick so I bought the new tank so he could stay warm in the garage because the garage is either freezing or warm enough but I noticed Norman's lights keep it from getting too cold he's much happier here than inside I just worry for him so I check on him just incase

In all honesty, that tank you linked to is too small. If you want to go on the cheap, Lowes sells a drywall mud pan for $13 that would work better and cheaper than that aquarium you pointed to. Here's the link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scepter-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1000195409
063923975305sm.jpg

For the lid, I would just cover it with a piece of plexiglass. This will help to retain the heat and moisture inside the enclosure. On that note, if you go the plexiglass route, I would avoid getting the real thin stuff as it has a tendency to warp from the heat. The thicker the better. You will want to have your dad (or someone) help you create the holes needed for the heat lamp to rest on the plexiglass. Do NOT place the lamp inside of the enclosure if you go the plastic tub route. The walls are not tall enough and could burn your baby. I would also suggest lining the outside of the hole with aluminum foil to protect the edges from the heat.

As far as the lighting goes, I would place the heat lamp on one end and a CHE on the opposite end. I would get a thermostat for the CHE as well. This will help especially at night when the heat lamp is turned off. Set your thermostat to at least 80 degrees and it will only kick on when needed. You can purchase a cheap timer from WalMart or wherever if you want to automate when the heat lamp turns on and off. I opted not to do this in my case since I am programmed to wake up and go to bed at specific times, so I just manually turn it on / off myself. Gives me that much more interaction with my baby and "forces" me to check up on him first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed.

If you are using coco coir, orchid bark, etc that retains moisture, then you should not need to purchase a humidifier. Just ensure that the substrate is deep enough to where the bottom is damp and the top is a bit drier. Even with my humidifier, I still take out all my substrate weekly and dampen it in a bucket of warm water. In your case, you may need to wet it down every other day or so.

If you're keeping Norman out in the garage, are you monitoring the tank temps closely? Make sure it doesn't fall below 80 at night! I would seriously consider bringing Norman back into your room until it warms up outside. Also, the daytime (basking) temps should be around 95 - 100. The humidity level should be as high as you can get it without it "raining" inside the enclosure.

I hope this helps a little! On a side note, are you keeping a weight record for Norman? It's a good indicator of your baby's health. I weigh mine weekly, but I've seen some here weigh theirs biweekly. Weekly is just my personal preference. You can buy a scale that measures in grams at Walmart for like $10 - $15.

I've had my leo for 13 weeks today and have already sunk over $1000 into him. He is my hobby so the price tag will only go up for me. I already have plans in the works for his outdoor enclosure which will (so far) run me about $1500. I can't wait till it warms up so that I can get started on it! Kinda hard to dig in frozen soil. lol

You don't have to go extravagant like some of us do though. There are many ways to accomplish the same things we are doing for far less. Just depends on how resourceful and committed you are ;)

Last edited:

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
In all honesty, that tank you linked to is too small. If you want to go on the cheap, Lowes sells a drywall mud pan for $13 that would work better and cheaper than that aquarium you pointed to. Here's the link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scepter-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1000195409
063923975305sm.jpg

For the lid, I would just cover it with a piece of plexiglass. This will help to retain the heat and moisture inside the enclosure. On that note, if you go the plexiglass route, I would avoid getting the real thin stuff as it has a tendency to warp from the heat. The thicker the better. You will want to have your dad (or someone) help you create the holes needed for the heat lamp to rest on the plexiglass. Do NOT place the lamp inside of the enclosure if you go the plastic tub route. The walls are not tall enough and could burn your baby. I would also suggest lining the outside of the hole with aluminum foil to protect the edges from the heat.

As far as the lighting goes, I would place the heat lamp on one end and a CHE on the opposite end. I would get a thermostat for the CHE as well. This will help especially at night when the heat lamp is turned off. Set your thermostat to at least 80 degrees and it will only kick on when needed. You can purchase a cheap timer from WalMart or wherever if you want to automate when the heat lamp turns on and off. I opted not to do this in my case since I am programmed to wake up and go to bed at specific times, so I just manually turn it on / off myself. Gives me that much more interaction with my baby and "forces" me to check up on him first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed.

If you are using coco coir, orchid bark, etc that retains moisture, then you should not need to purchase a humidifier. Just ensure that the substrate is deep enough to where the bottom is damp and the top is a bit drier. Even with my humidifier, I still take out all my substrate weekly and dampen it in a bucket of warm water. In your case, you may need to wet it down every other day or so.

If you're keeping Norman out in the garage, are you monitoring the tank temps closely? Make sure it doesn't fall below 80 at night! I would seriously consider bringing Norman back into your room until it warms up outside. Also, the daytime (basking) temps should be around 95 - 100. The humidity level should be as high as you can get it without it "raining" inside the enclosure.

I hope this helps a little! On a side note, are you keeping a weight record for Norman? It's a good indicator of your baby's health. I weigh mine weekly, but I've seen some here weigh theirs biweekly. Weekly is just my personal preference. You can buy a scale that measures in grams at Walmart for like $10 - $15.

I've had my leo for 13 weeks today and have already sunk over $1000 into him. He is my hobby so the price tag will only go up for me. I already have plans in the works for his outdoor enclosure which will (so far) run me about $1500. I can't wait till it warms up so that I can get started on it! Kinda hard to dig in frozen soil. lol

You don't have to go extravagant like some of us do though. There are many ways to accomplish the same things we are doing for far less. Just depends on how resourceful and committed you are ;)

Great information here! I really like how detailed you were with the mixing tubs. That's my next step in 6-12 months. Does the plexiglass over the tub create a good seal or do you have to tape it somehow? I also noticed that you didn't mention a UVB. Do you recommend one? If i did the plexiglass, I would cut three holes. One for basking (one end), CHE (opposite end), and a long tube UVB across the middle. What do you think?

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
063923975305sm.jpg

Also, what would be the placement of your hide, water, food bowl, etc? Put the food and water in the center under the UVB? Hide under the CHE? Basking by itself?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Does the plexiglass over the tub create a good seal or do you have to tape it somehow? I also noticed that you didn't mention a UVB. Do you recommend one? If i did the plexiglass, I would cut three holes. One for basking (one end), CHE (opposite end), and a long tube UVB across the middle. What do you think?

Plexiglass would do fine. I wouldn't get the real thin stuff though, as they have a tendency to warp and melt easily. No need to tape it. You don't want to create a vacuum inside the enclosure. I would outline the holes you cut into it with some aluminum foil to prevent melting around the edges from your heat sources. I should have been more clear about the UVB. Yes, it is recommended. Given the size of your planned enclosure, I think a 50 watt should do just fine. It might be a good idea to purchase a thermostat for your CHE. Set it and forget it. I keep mine set at 85F. Here's the one I use and I've never had a problem with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Thermostat-Controller-Germination-40-108°F/dp/B01I15S6OM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1533388228&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=reptile+thermostat&psc=1

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Plexiglass would do fine. I wouldn't get the real thin stuff though, as they have a tendency to warp and melt easily. No need to tape it. You don't want to create a vacuum inside the enclosure. I would outline the holes you cut into it with some aluminum foil to prevent melting around the edges from your heat sources. I should have been more clear about the UVB. Yes, it is recommended. Given the size of your planned enclosure, I think a 50 watt should do just fine. It might be a good idea to purchase a thermostat for your CHE. Set it and forget it. I keep mine set at 85F. Here's the one I use and I've never had a problem with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Thermostat-Controller-Germination-40-108°F/dp/B01I15S6OM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1533388228&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=reptile+thermostat&psc=1
Thanks for the feedback! I might've mentioned a thousand times on here, but I'll mention it again. You guys are awesome! I know you had to learn from past mistakes to make it easier on us future tortoises owners. Thank you!!! What is your placement of items under the certain bulbs. CHE over hide? UVB over food dish? Basking over water?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the feedback! I might've mentioned a thousand times on here, but I'll mention it again. You guys are awesome! I know you had to learn from past mistakes to make it easier on us future tortoises owners. Thank you!!! What is your placement of items under the certain bulbs. CHE over hide? UVB over food dish? Basking over water?

I tend to keep my food and water on the cooler side of the enclosure away fro the heat sources. Otherwise the water would evaporate in no time and the food would get all dehydrated and crispy.