New enclosure built, need some tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctorres626

5 Year Member
Good Afternoon everyone, my name is carlos torres, 25 years old from chicago, i just built shelly a new enclosure using a large cement mixing tub, i have eco earth as its substrate and the lighting is that all in one sunglow that gives uvb and uv rays. i wanted to know what i could do to expand its enclosure, make it a little bit homey then what i have so far, any tips ?

Attachments

• shelly.jpg
    shelly.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 25

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I also live in Chicago, near Wrigleyville. Where about are you? Does your tort have a hide, water dish, the clay flower pot saucers work good and a flat rock for feeding. You can also add plants. Boston fern, ponytail palm, you can even plant some of the greens you feed.

Sorry, I didn't see the pic before I posted. So I see the hide and food dish, looks like a water dish or dish indention. I would add a few more fake plants or some edible ones. You can also look in tortoisetable.org for more plant ideas.

ctorres626

5 Year Member
i go to wrigley all the time with my wife to hit the bars, im at school at NEIU at the moment and living in des plaines atm in the northwest burbs. the indentation was just the plate with the food, i moved it close to her because she was not exploring much and began trying to eat the substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad to here your a north sider fan and not a south sider fan:D
Be sure you do have water available 24/7, large enough for him to get in and out of easily for self soaking should he want. Don't bother with the water dishes they make for torts, they are expensive and dangerous.

ctorres626

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Glad to here your a north sider fan and not a south sider fan:D
Be sure you do have water available 24/7, large enough for him to get in and out of easily for self soaking should he want. Don't bother with the water dishes they make for torts, they are expensive and dangerous.

cubs all the way ! no matter what. i have a light that is all purpose for uvb and uv and heating, should i turn it off at everynight and keep her in total darkness till the morning ? i keep her in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.