New enclosure for Aretha, MEP

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

I enclosed/insulated a part of our garage and got a huge industrial tub to use as an enclosure for Aretha, the MEP I live with.

Screenshot_20220602-101839.png

I feel pretty confident with the temperature control, and had a few questions:
  • Should I aim for an average ambient temperature of 75, 80, or 85?
  • Would Aretha benefit from larger or smaller swings in temp from daytime to nighttime?
Thanks for any and all input,

Jamie

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Looking good. What's your plan for humidity control?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Looking good. What's your plan for humidity control?
The "room" I built in our garage is insulated with Insultex aluminized bubble-wrap, sealed with heavy-duty plastic sheeting, and given a final layer of separation from the rest of the world with an outer layer of house wrap... the humidity has been steadily on the rise since I sealed it off from New Hampshire, and is now cycling between 55-75 percent humidity.

I'll probably add another 'swimming hole' and also just make a policy of over-watering the plants a few times a week to increase humidity in the vessel.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
When I checked the stats this morning, I saw that the temperature in Aretha's new enclosure had dropped more than the usual amount overnight.

It turns out that the thermostat I was using was rated only to 1000W, not the 1500W that the heater I'm using to heat the new room in my house uses.

I've ordered a new thermostat with a rating that exceeds the 1500W, so that this won't be a worry.

I probably should have thought about this ahead of time, but I waited until summertime to do the rebuild and renovation of her enclosure expressly so that anything I missed would have a less dire impact than it will/would in the coming New Hampshire winter.
The temp is back up into the optimal zone and Aretha is munching her way through her breakfast.... I filled her soaking tub with slightly warmer than usual water, so that if she feels the need to warm up, a bath can help her (and if not, the thermal mass of 4 new gallons of warm water will help bring the temps in her new enclosure back into line).

My assumption is that everyone makes these kinds of mistakes from time to time... the trick is structuring the system such that the tortoise is not exposed to undue risk through my being a muttonhead.

Jamie