New Enclosure heating setup

Tortuga55

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We recently had to increase the size of our enclosure for our Sulcata Tort. We live in the Panhandle of Florida and does not get too cold for very often. We were approaching several days into the low 30's and wanted to ensure our tort was comfortable. I insulated the top and bottom of the enclosure and added plastic flaps to the entrance to better keep in the heat. We also added a heating pad (made for chicken hatchlings) so she can regulate her temp and comfort level and heating lamp. I was nervous the first night and was able to confirm with a thermal imaging camera that this new set up was keeping her comfortable and dry. I have attached a few pictures. Thanks!

Screenshot_20201207-090655_FLIR One.jpgflir_20201201T065759.pngScreenshot_20201207-090755_FLIR One.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Be very careful the light isn't too close to the shell. We've seen many damaged shells due to light burn. Take a look at the pig blankets sold here:

They are much more sturdy than chicken pads.

Tortuga55

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I was not aware of bulbs damaging shells, thank you! and will take a closer look. I will be looking into purchasing one of the pads you mentioned. The one we currently have is made from a hard resin and cord protected from pinching and potential bites. Thank you for the reply and additional heating options.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
If and when you get a new heat mat like Yvonne noted, make sure it’s controlled with a thermostat.

Here’s one type often used here by folks, comes with a remote sensing probe, so you can leave your mat plugged in 24/7 and the thermostat will regulate.

I realize that you are in Florida, but one of these mounted onto a piece of plywood & mounted into the ceiling does wonders. Can also be plugged into your thermostat. Sooooo, you get heat from the bottom & nice radiant heat from the top.

Tortuga55

Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Another great piece of advise, thank you! That's why I love this forum.. I would like to be able to have the ability to control the temp and will add this to our shopping list.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Ditch that red lamp! Its bad for them. I use a che bulb of night and flood bulb for day..both if its too cold since its a small house, probably 100 watt che and maybe 125 incandescent flood bulb. I use with cheap brooder lamps from tractor supply