zeus6626

Location (City and/or State)
hyderabad
Hi guys , this is the new enclosure I have been using . @Tom has suggested me different basking lamp , which I will rep;ace this with in 2 days after I receive. As I am from India we have good temps and sunlight hence I am giving him 1 hr in my lawn , under supervision where he also hides under shade for a while. I am also posting pictures of different temperatures at different places in the enclosure . I have used acrylic sheets on top to cover the enclosure making it 85% closed for the humidity . So please suggest me with any changes . So the tort will have a great time . He’s eating good and pooping while I soak him .

Attachments

• IMG_1162.jpeg
    IMG_1162.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1166.jpeg
    IMG_1166.jpeg
  • IMG_1167.jpeg
    IMG_1167.jpeg

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
You should change the water dish to a unglazed terracotta saucer. Also, it is best to hang the light under the glass roof, since the glass can filter out some of the UVB light,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys , this is the new enclosure I have been using . @Tom has suggested me different basking lamp , which I will rep;ace this with in 2 days after I receive. As I am from India we have good temps and sunlight hence I am giving him 1 hr in my lawn , under supervision where he also hides under shade for a while. I am also posting pictures of different temperatures at different places in the enclosure . I have used acrylic sheets on top to cover the enclosure making it 85% closed for the humidity . So please suggest me with any changes . So the tort will have a great time . He’s eating good and pooping while I soak him .
-The basking area is much too hot. That will contribute to pyramiding. Raise the bulb and fixture higher, or use a lower wattage bulb. Get the temperature directly under the bulb down to around 95-100. (36C)
-There is too much coco fiber in your substrate. That might cause a problem if enough of it is ingested.
-Get a food bowl to contain the food and keep it off the substrate.
-covering 85% of the top is better than nothing, but it still creates a chimney effect that draws all your heat and humidity up and out. All the heating and lighting need to be contained inside the enclosure and the whole top needs to be covered. Imagine what would happen to your food if you removed 15% of the door of your freezer. Same principal.
-Make an enclosure outside on your lawn. Its not safe to have them free roaming. You will lose him doing that. You can use a large kiddie pool, cinderblocks, or form some lumber into a big rectangle. Keep him contained in his enclosure AND supervise. Make sure there is always deep shade available.

zeus6626

hyderabad
-The basking area is much too hot. That will contribute to pyramiding. Raise the bulb and fixture higher, or use a lower wattage bulb. Get the temperature directly under the bulb down to around 95-100. (36C)
-There is too much coco fiber in your substrate. That might cause a problem if enough of it is ingested.
-Get a food bowl to contain the food and keep it off the substrate.
-covering 85% of the top is better than nothing, but it still creates a chimney effect that draws all your heat and humidity up and out. All the heating and lighting need to be contained inside the enclosure and the whole top needs to be covered. Imagine what would happen to your food if you removed 15% of the door of your freezer. Same principal.
-Make an enclosure outside on your lawn. Its not safe to have them free roaming. You will lose him doing that. You can use a large kiddie pool, cinderblocks, or form some lumber into a big rectangle. Keep him contained in his enclosure AND supervise. Make sure there is always deep shade available.
Thank you @Tom for always helping out

1) I have ordered orchid bark small chips, they were delayed should I arrive in a day or two

2) I have changed the water and food bowls to terracotta bowls

3) Fully covering the enclosure is something I have to work and plan . But will come up with something and work so it’s 100% covered

4)Yes I will start using a baby pool , and make sure that 25% is in the shade rest in the sun

Final doubt :

You have seen the temperatures all around the enclosure, but still he likes to sleep just beside the basking lamp always , is that Ok ? He barely uses his hide . @Tom