New Enclosures

Longhorns1187

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, NE
Got home a little while ago with our 2 Animal Plastics T-20 enclosures. Placed them on the 8" stand we also purchased, then tested the lighting. We drop shipped the lights directly to AP, so we didn't have a chance to test them out before installation. So far, so good. AP did an awesome job hiding the wiring of each fixture, by routering into the pvc, creating channels for the cords to lay in.

We do have an issue with one of the enclosure's lock. The hole in one of the pieces of glass does not line up completely, so it doesn't allow the lock to turn fully behind the pvc. I'll be contacting Ali about that particular situation tomorrow. She's supposed to ship out our screen cutouts, since there was miscommunication on their end and they got discarded by accident. We planned on using the cutouts as a way to help regulate temp and humidity in each enclosure, if needed.

The top enclosure is going to eventually house an Egyptian tortoise, while the bottom cage will be home to a northern blue tongue skink.20180426_184821.jpg20180426_184926.jpg20180426_185025.jpg

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
It was about a 2 hour and 15 minute drive, one way, to pick up our order, but it saved us a decent chuck of change not having to pay for shipping. Here's a pic of it all getting ready to be unloaded in our driveway.

Here's a close up of the issue we're having with the holes in the glass not lining up.

I give Animal Plastics a solid 8.5 out of 10 at this point, with the likelihood of a 9+ if the small issues are rectified. 20180426_145901.jpg20180426_163211.jpg

Salspi

Chicago
Got home a little while ago with our 2 Animal Plastics T-20 enclosures. Placed them on the 8" stand we also purchased, then tested the lighting. We drop shipped the lights directly to AP, so we didn't have a chance to test them out before installation. So far, so good. AP did an awesome job hiding the wiring of each fixture, by routering into the pvc, creating channels for the cords to lay in.

We do have an issue with one of the enclosure's lock. The hole in one of the pieces of glass does not line up completely, so it doesn't allow the lock to turn fully behind the pvc. I'll be contacting Ali about that particular situation tomorrow. She's supposed to ship out our screen cutouts, since there was miscommunication on their end and they got discarded by accident. We planned on using the cutouts as a way to help regulate temp and humidity in each enclosure, if needed.

The top enclosure is going to eventually house an Egyptian tortoise, while the bottom cage will be home to a northern blue tongue skink.View attachment 236993View attachment 236994View attachment 236995

Those are phenomenal enclosures! Hopefully someday I’ll have something like that

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Those are phenomenal enclosures! Hopefully someday I’ll have something like that
Thanks! They are a little larger than we probably need, especially for the tortoise, initially. But, we plan on dividing that enclosure in half and let him grow into it. I figured do it right the first time and spend a little more money up front and adjust accordingly.

I'm happy with the way the lighting turned out, but I'm anxious to get "real world" test results with them fully operational. It's one thing to see them on paper or a blueprint. Hopefully, I can get the proper temps and humidity with just a little adjusting on my end.

I definitely wouldn't hesitate to order from Animal Plastics again.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Just put an order In For a T70. Still not sure what I want to do for the lighting. But she said it’s ok to put the order in now and work on the lighting as we wait for it to be built. They’re estimating 10-12 weeks.
Absolutley. I made design changes to our cages a couple of times before they actually built them. Getting yourself onto their order list is great idea, if you already know you want to buy a cage(s) from them. Ali is great to work with (she took many phone calls from me and answered about a million questions...lol).

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Just an update on our enclosures. I emailed Ali about the holes for the lock not lining up. She's sending out a new piece of glass along with the cutouts this week. Can't beat AP's customer service.

So far, I've sealed the joints with the included Lexel and siliconed the Universal Rocks background into place. Drilling holes in the top of the enclosure for the Mistking should take place later this week or the beginning of next week.

Salspi

Chicago
Just an update on our enclosures. I emailed Ali about the holes for the lock not lining up. She's sending out a new piece of glass along with the cutouts this week. Can't beat AP's customer service.

So far, I've sealed the joints with the included Lexel and siliconed the Universal Rocks background into place. Drilling holes in the top of the enclosure for the Mistking should take place later this week or the beginning of next week.

Definitely going to need pics!!!!

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Got quite a bit done with the new enclosures today. The dual nozzle Mistking is mounted. Waiting on the ZipDrip valve to be shipped from Josh's Frogs. They forgot to include it in my order, so I can't test the misting system just yet. I've got 2 more single nozzles on hand, just in case I need to add on.

Put the substrate in, but still need to add about 1 whole bag more. Using Manna Pro Oyster Shells from Tractor Supply. I assumed this stuff would be really rough to the touch. Actually, it's not too abrasive feeling at all...pleasantly surprised by it and extremely happy we went with that particular brand.

Also, installed the basking lights, but that's still a fluid situation for now. Using 90 watt (53 actual watts) equivalent halogen spot lights. Might try flood lights next. I was originally worried about the height being an issue with using floods, that's why I opted for spots. I still need to take readings with the temp gun to see where everything is sitting at this point.

The decor (much, much more not installed yet) is just in the enclosure right now to give a scale of size. We're going to be using plenty of hides, fake plants, etc. when all is said and done. 20180505_204704.jpg20180505_203515.jpg20180505_203400.jpg20180505_204732.jpg

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Forgot to mention, all the basking lights are on dimmer switches for fine tuning basking temperatures. After a short time, looks like I'll be downgrading the wattages for the 2 basking bulbs. I'm guessing 75 watt equivalent will be more than enough.

Salspi

Chicago
Got quite a bit done with the new enclosures today. The dual nozzle Mistking is mounted. Waiting on the ZipDrip valve to be shipped from Josh's Frogs. They forgot to include it in my order, so I can't test the misting system just yet. I've got 2 more single nozzles on hand, just in case I need to add on.

Put the substrate in, but still need to add about 1 whole bag more. Using Manna Pro Oyster Shells from Tractor Supply. I assumed this stuff would be really rough to the touch. Actually, it's not too abrasive feeling at all...pleasantly surprised by it and extremely happy we went with that particular brand.

Also, installed the basking lights, but that's still a fluid situation for now. Using 90 watt (53 actual watts) equivalent halogen spot lights. Might try flood lights next. I was originally worried about the height being an issue with using floods, that's why I opted for spots. I still need to take readings with the temp gun to see where everything is sitting at this point.

The decor (much, much more not installed yet) is just in the enclosure right now to give a scale of size. We're going to be using plenty of hides, fake plants, etc. when all is said and done. View attachment 237736View attachment 237737View attachment 237738View attachment 237739

Absolutely awesome! Did u make the rock background? For the mist king, are you just using it on a timer or with the probe set at a humidity level? These cages are awesome.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Absolutely awesome! Did u make the rock background? For the mist king, are you just using it on a timer or with the probe set at a humidity level? These cages are awesome.

Thanks! We're pretty happy with the way it's turned out, so far. No..we didn't make the background. We got a great deal on it from J Wilson from Universal Rocks last fall in Chicago at the Aquatic Experience. We wanted something that didn't stick out too far into the enclosure and take up valuable floor space.

With the Mistking, it's going to be on the included digital seconds timer. So, it's only going to go off in the morning once, for a predetermined amount of time (with the hopes of somewhat replicating the morning coastal mist that happens in their natural habitat). Once I've got all the parts, I'll run it through a few cycles until I'm happy with the dispensed amount and coverage from the system. I bought some extra single nozzles, just in case. I'm running a Mistking on our monkey tailed skink enclosure and it goes off 5 times a day for about 1 minute each time. But, that set up is trying to keep the humidity much higher than what our Egyptian tortoise will need.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
How deep are you going with the substrate?
Probably 3 inches or so in the front and around 4+ toward the back of the enclosure. If I was smart like Tom, I would've ordered the litter dam even deeper than I did. Probably should have made it at least 5 inches tall, like I did with our blue tongue skink cage that's below this one.