New Hatchling - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Greetings! I just got my first sulcata, a three-week old hatchling named JoJo. I have experience with Russians, but I've never owned a sulcata. Can someone point me the direction of a good caresheet? Thanks!

Here's some pics of JoJo.

l_c8fd401d1800429b918741da28490719.jpg

l_9db21b1487f44209989991bcbf18a34a.jpg

l_b25bff03f6de4f27b640c01c09a67d6d.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

He's just beautiful, such a different color from most others.
What is the red food in his dish? Peppers? Anyhow, Sulcata are grazers and given that he needs to have is diet 80% grasses and weeds. You can buy packaged Spring Mix in the produce section in the local grocery store.and add more better stuff to it. I believe in cutting up his food smaller because their mouths are so small. But many on this forum disagree with that, my friend Meg90 is on the top of the list for not cutting up the food.

Here's another care sheet for them. Yvonne gave you a care sheet put out by Sulcata Station and written by Melissa Kaplan and I think it is rather old and some of the advice needs to be changed or deleted. In my opinion...
Anyhow here is the best care sheet for Sulcata

http://africantortoise.com/

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
maggie3fan said:
He's just beautiful, such a different color from most others.
What is the red food in his dish? Peppers? Anyhow, Sulcata are grazers and given that he needs to have is diet 80% grasses and weeds. You can buy packaged Spring Mix in the produce section in the local grocery store.and add more better stuff to it. I believe in cutting up his food smaller because their mouths are so small. But many on this forum disagree with that, my friend Meg90 is on the top of the list for not cutting up the food.

Here's another care sheet for them. Yvonne gave you a care sheet put out by Sulcata Station and written by Melissa Kaplan and I think it is rather old and some of the advice needs to be changed or deleted. In my opinion...
Anyhow here is the best care sheet for Sulcata

http://africantortoise.com/

Thanks Maggiefan! He/she was much lighter in color than his siblings. Thats what got my attention. He was also the smallest and most active of the bunch. I just love him!

The orange thing is an orange cuttlebone that I broke in half. He'll have his own garden soon, but for now, I'll be feeding him spring mix with TNT and weed trimmings from my Russian's garden.

I bought the Grazing tortoise seed mix and the broad plant seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply and I grow that for my Russian. I was thinking of using the same seed mixes for the sulcata. The plants include Crimson Clover, New Zealand Clover, Red Clover, Creeping Red Fescue, Turnip Greens, Dwarf Turf-Type Fescue, Tough Turf-Type Fescue, Kentucy Blue Grass, Orchard Grass, Wheat Grass, Oat Grass, Chia, Chicory, Timothy Grass. I assume this same mix will also work for the sulcata. In addition, I've got prickly pear, kaloncho, flat leaf parsely, and strawberry growing in my backyard. I feed all of these to my Russian. Is there anything on the list that is not good for sulcatas or any other plants you'd recommend adding? I haven't seen any seed mixes specifically designed for sulcatas.

M

Maggie Cummings

Joe sells a grazing tortoise seed mixture that is great for Sulcata. I bought some 3 years ago and added some other seeds to it, and in the spring it grows over my boots. But now it's flat eaten to the ground, but I know it will come right back again.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Great! Its probably the same one I have, is it called the "Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix?"

Status
Not open for further replies.